the military diet

Options

Replies

• karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Gypsychic, I say you should give the military diet a whirl and see how it goes for you. There is certainly nothing wrong with eliminating sugar and toxic chemical sweetners. The diet is pretty low cal, but it's only 3 days a week. I would just say you need to be careful not to go overboard on your eating the other 4 days of the week or you will negate the 3 restrictive days. And, if you exercise during those 3 restrictive days then you might need to eat a little more.

Different things work for different people. We are not all the same. Just because some others think you are doomed to failure does not make it so. I have a friend who has always maintained her weight very well by being somewhat restrictive during the week and then eating whatever she wants on the weekends. Different strokes for different folks. I wish you all the best.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've gotten good feedback on it from another site btw.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    karen0214 wrote: »
    Gypsychic, I say you should give the military diet a whirl and see how it goes for you. There is certainly nothing wrong with eliminating sugar and toxic chemical sweetners. The diet is pretty low cal, but it's only 3 days a week. I would just say you need to be careful not to go overboard on your eating the other 4 days of the week or you will negate the 3 restrictive days. And, if you exercise during those 3 restrictive days then you might need to eat a little more.

Different things work for different people. We are not all the same. Just because some others think you are doomed to failure does not make it so. I have a friend who has always maintained her weight very well by being somewhat restrictive during the week and then eating whatever she wants on the weekends. Different strokes for different folks. I wish you all the best.

She'll be eating ice cream and hot dogs.

Eliminating sugar and toxic chemikillz. RIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Eliminating sugar and toxic chemikillz. RIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I know, right?? It's not like this is some clean eating miracle, it recommends fricken hot dogs and ice cream. I stand by my assessment of this diet as a prank gone wrong.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

She will also be eating tuna, steak, green beans, apples, grapefruit, carrots, and whole grain bread. No one's dietary habits are perfect all the time. This might just be a beginning place for her. She can move into something different if she wants to. Or, it might just work fine for her. She doesn't have much weight to lose, then she can work on finding a way to maintain. Honestly, I don't understand why some people want to be so negative and rude just because someone asked a question. And, I was only replying to the OP, yet you want to be rude to me as well. Wow! Just wow! Hope your day gets better.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would like to know more about these toxic chemicals
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Any diet that lies about an association with a group in its name is probably not worth doing. The "military" diet has nothing to do with the military ... the GM, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic diets all had/have nothing to do with those organizations.

If diet actually produced sustainable results in all the years this diet has gone around via the internet, faxes, etc then nobody on the planet would be overweight because the magic solution would have been found. It simply does not work. Lose some water weight, congratulate yourself, gain it all back and more ... repeat ... and insanity is doing the same thing over again expecting different results.
    Military diet is just the popular name for it right now, it's also been called the three day diet. It has nothing to do with wanting to be in the military! ! ! =P

Things that work don't have to keep rebranding themselves to continuously fool a new group of people.

Are the sweeteners as toxic as your lies about food in this post?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Ah, I love the smell of White Knights in the morning.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The specifics of the diet are silly and the whole idea of a 3 day diet is almost an oxymoron (or some other species of moron). However, the notion of many on here that a structured diet is somehow morally inferior and less effective than an IIFYM diet is unfounded. Different people are wired differently and have different preferences for structure vs freedom. Sometimes those preferences change depending on circumstances. I started out on a structured diet, switched to unstructured, and am happy with both decisions. And empirically there is good evidence that on average, structured diets are more effective.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The specifics of the diet are silly and the whole idea of a 3 day diet is almost an oxymoron (or some other species of moron). However, the notion of many on here that a structured diet is somehow morally inferior and less effective than an IIFYM diet is unfounded. Different people are wired differently and have different preferences for structure vs freedom. Sometimes those preferences change depending on circumstances. I started out on a structured diet, switched to unstructured, and am happy with both decisions. And empirically there is good evidence that on average, structured diets are more effective.

What does "effective" mean, though? For weight loss?

I'd be curious to find out how many people in the sadly small group of successful long-term weight loss maintainers used structured diets.

My experience with a structured diet was that while it worked great for weight loss, it taught me nothing to sustain that loss.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Three days does not a structured diet make. Unsustainable fad diets like to claim structure, just like they like to claim association with organizations, in order to remain alive once the first group fails to keep weight off it.

Military dining facilities have structured diets on their main lines ... foods selected to provide a specific caloric and macro goal day in, day out, for eternity.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't see anything outrageous about it? Day 1 is 1400 calories, day 2, 1300, day 3 1200, then 1500 for four days, repeat.

I mean, the menu is really boring, and super restrictive for those three days, but it's not really a starvation or juicing diet. They do make outrageous claims and seem to be anti-sugar, but eh.

I'd rather eat food I enjoy, within my goals and continue to lose weight - but hey, whatever works for you.

There have been other members that have added up the calorie intake on these three days and it usually comes in under 1000 calories.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it's possible there are a number of plans out there carrying the same name.
    The one I am most familiar with is a very restrictive diet with a daily intake of under 1,000. It's possible the OP (or others) have found another plan that is more reasonable, calorically speaking.
    But it still won't teach anyone how to make good long term food choices.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Except for the ice cream. Ice cream is always a good food choice.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't see anything outrageous about it? Day 1 is 1400 calories, day 2, 1300, day 3 1200, then 1500 for four days, repeat.

I mean, the menu is really boring, and super restrictive for those three days, but it's not really a starvation or juicing diet. They do make outrageous claims and seem to be anti-sugar, but eh.

I'd rather eat food I enjoy, within my goals and continue to lose weight - but hey, whatever works for you.

Given that the average soldier needs in the region of 3000 - 5000 kcal per day and the challenge is getting enough calories not getting too many I would say this is about as far away from an actual military diet as you could get. Thus, I suspect it's all marketing hype.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh, so true.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Given that the average soldier needs in the region of 3000 - 5000 kcal per day and the challenge is getting enough calories not getting too many I would say this is about as far away from an actual military diet as you could get. Thus, I suspect it's all marketing hype.

It's totally a military diet. We called it the "iron ration", back towards the end of WW1 when supplies couldn't properly be brought to the front lines, soldiers had a small ration pack of the following: 300 g crackers, rusk or crispbread, 200g of canned meat, 150 g canned soup and 20g of coffee powder, to be used only if ordered to by your superior.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it's called "The Military Diet", I'm under the impression that people in the military, eat foods with high caloric content.

OP, this 'diet' sucks.

CICO or fad diet which won't last long, your call.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is currently doing this. He bugs me so bad because he ALWAYS does these quick weight loss diets, and makes a huge deal about how I don't/barely lose weight. He's super cocky about his weight loss.. But he always gains it back. I'm confident that once I start getting to where my fitness is visible from others point of view, it will stay that way, versus him constantly fluctuating majorly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yep.

Karen, you're advising someone to do an unsustainable fad diet.