missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    *double post; site being a b.i.t.c.h*
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I can see martial arts as a form of exercise with a purpose. Defending oneself is important. I might take up kick boxing especially since it is a great partner with the cycling I do.

I'm not a big fan of the gym, never have been. I started Taekwondo at the start of last year, and it changed my life. I'll be grading for my red belt next and I find that wanting to be better at it has actually made me get my butt out and run, and want to do other exercise so I improve my TKD.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the gym, never have been. I started Taekwondo at the start of last year, and it changed my life. I'll be grading for my red belt next and I find that wanting to be better at it has actually made me get my butt out and run, and want to do other exercise so I improve my TKD.

I can understand that. Running (outside) to improve your stamina so you can enjoy your sport is noble. I had a similar motive for swimming so it would improve my sub aqua activities. Swimming lengths may be rather dull but it did help control breathing and also gave me time to think and plan.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    BTW Alatariel75 good luck with the grading. My brother will go for his black belt in TKD this year.
  • AdelaideNat
    AdelaideNat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me, going to the gym (the dreaded, dirty word, for some) serves a purpose, several actually --> Getting me off my butt and out of the house is number one. Then comes the goal setting while walking the 1.4 km to the gym (I COULD drive but chose not to) and then the act of pushing (not punishing) myself to achieve the challenge at hand (I run) and lastly, reaping the rewards of accomplishment (i.e. faster, stronger, fitter, more relaxed and also have had time to work through, mull over issues, problems without distraction while running). Before I discovered running, I tried every conceivable group fitness class there is, all the while thinking it was the the program and/or type of exercise I just wasn't getting any enjoyment from, only to realize in the end that I'm just not a "group exercise" kinda gal, I prefer flying solo. Didn't think they were pointless types of exercise, just not the type that drives me to want to do it over & over again, set and achieve goals. In the end, it's whatever works for YOU and only YOU ! There's no such thing as "pointless" exercise, it either works or doesn't :)
  • gpstreet
    Options
    I do respect peoples choices of exercise and wish them the best of luck. My original post was to ask for ideas. You are right when you say there is no such thing as pointless exercise since all exercise has you moving which can only be a good thing.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from OP. You view most exercise for the pure sake of your health or your own physical improvement as pointless. You're not comfortable doing the same repetitive thing if you're not going to see immediate results. You want to have exercise or caloric expression to serve some sort of an exterior purpose so that losing weight seems 'effortless' and you don't have to think about it too much.

I know. I used to have that mindset. Get OUT of it. Weight loss is NOT effortless. Took me damn near 2 years to learn that. It takes effort and work. Yes, I burn calories walking around and doing my patrols. I also realize I need to lift weights, plan my meals and go for runs to maintain an adequate deficit to continue my weight loss journey every day.

They say "Oh just take the stairs!" or "Park your car farther away" and with these small changes you'll improve your health and lose weight. No. That's not how it works. Do these changes hurt? No. Do they help? Sure, but you're not going to get the true results you desire.

If you want it badly enough you will make time and find things you enjoy doing over and over again. The likely reason you don't like repetitive or 'pointless' exercise now is because you aren't good at it. You get good at something by doing it.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    When I joined a gymn years ago, the instructor told me that to lose weight you had to control calorie intake. After a couple of decades of experience I completely understand, and agree with his opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gymn years ago, the instructor told me that to lose weight you had to control calorie intake. After a couple of decades of experience I completely understand, and agree with his opinion.

Hmmm, funny that you just agreed that there is a point to exercise in your other thread....
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yea but running helps with your stamina & endurance and it is relieving to me, free feeling. helps with stress for me & its fun doing it, so that's purpose enough for me! and yoga *does* help with strength, balance, and toning so it has purpose for me. plus workouts in general are challenging and fun and its fun seeing how you improve. it's how you look at it i guess. don't look at exercise with blinders on. but no one is saying you *have* to do any type of exercise. some ppl really do enjoy it even if it's not as purposeful as cycling/walking to work etc
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Rather be running on the streets than on a treadmill in a gymn.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Hmmm, funny that you just agreed that there is a point to exercise in your other thread....

Maybe becayse he doesnt understand what he is writing, is unable to express himself or hes just trolling as in his previous outings.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Gardening and yard work, for sure.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Ok, I actually enjoy the gym and running but I'm not going to be mean to OP because we disagree. That's just, well, mean.

OP: try out a few sports clubs and dance clubs and see if you like and of them. They are usually very sociable.

Walk or bike to the supermarket.

Get a dog or offer to walk a neighbour's dog.

Get really obsessive about hoovering your house every day.

Wash your car by hand every week.

Sort through your garage / loft (carrying heavy boxes)
  • gpstreet
    Options
    mumblemagic - some great and intelligent suggestions. Thanks.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's not April Fool's Day :p

That's what I was thinking, a few days late for April Fools Day.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you lost me on the very first sentence.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I can see martial arts as a form of exercise with a purpose. Defending oneself is important. I might take up kick boxing especially since it is a great partner with the cycling I do.
    Lol, you'd be surprised at how many black belts suck at really defending themselves. It's one thing to have choreographed movements in controlled settings. Another to actually use them in the street and take a real punch with force to the face.
    I teach kickboxing for fitness, not defense. If I were to go to a self defense course, I'd take Juijitsu and real boxing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    I exercise for wine.
    I exercise because cheese.
  • Shokei