Holiday turns into negative comments regarding my gym workouts/results. How would you respond?

Options

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry. This is none of her business, and your spouse/SO should tell their mother to knock it off. But, here are some scripts you can use the next time this happens.

"I've heard that exercise is good for you, so I'm going to keep doing it."
    "Working out is a hobby I enjoy. Why shouldn't I keep doing it?"
    "My doctor advised me to exercise more. He's pretty qualified, so I'm going to do what he recommends."
    "I don't agree that it's a waste of time. But even if it was, it's no worse than wasting time in front of the TV."

My favorite:
    "Wow. That was really rude." *walks away and finds someone else to chat with*
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    unhgoose wrote: »
    That is so rude. I'm sorry you have to socialize with such a miserable person. After I picked my jaw off the floor I would have said something about how exercise makes me feel good mentally and physically. It makes me happy, and my going to the gym really isn't any of her business.

This.

I can relate a little too. I started changing my lifestyle long before I joined My Fitness Pal, counted calories, and got to a healthy weight. While still obese, I felt 100% better as a very active size 20 than I did as a lazy size 22, but people didn't see a difference and a few expressed I was wasting my time. That was their problem. Now that I've lost a ton of weight too they "see the value". I just roll my eyes.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would tell her that your health is between you and your doctor, and that her opinion was not solicited.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »
    So yesterday my in-law questioned why I go to the gym since she sees no physical results in my appearance. I work out 3 times a week but have been in a mental rut and have not changed my eating so my appearance has not changed much. I do have an increase in muscle strength and and gaining improvement in my recovery rates. Working my heart and lungs, etc. She thinks it's doing nothing and that I'm only there for the social aspect. I get in and get out so I'm not standing around socializing but I do like the people I work out with or around at the gym and enjoy their company. She still thinks I am wasting my money and was pretty negative regarding my appearance. I told her I am gaining benefits that you can not see outwardly but she wouldn't agree. How would you respond?

you're probably still wearing all your old clothes right??
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Another thing you can do that I love to do to people when they are being @sses is to bring others into the conversation, Just casually you know, a lot of times people will say mean things thinking you wouldn't tell anyone else. I broadcast what exactly they have said and make them look like a mean fool in front of others, sometimes people need a little humiliation.
  • dannii92xx
    dannii92xx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bugdude54 wrote: »
    Tell her that when she dies she'll appreciate the fact you were in the gym when you're required to help carry her casket.

I just choked on my cup of tea reading this! Love it x

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I wouldn't...it's your mother in law and it's the responsibility of your spouse...their child to respond not yours.

I would also wonder how much of what she said was what she heard from her son......
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    "Fortunately, your opinion about my appearance is pretty much at the bottom of the long list of why I do anything on this earth. Bean dip?"
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'd turn the conversation back onto the real problem

" I think the more immediate issue here is why you have an unnatural need to make others feel bad about trying to do good things for themselves that has nothing to do with you ,this can stem from an insecurity, I would really like to help you become a better more caring person so you don't become a negative influence on my children and the others around you. So let's discuss"

But say it in a very nice way of course :wink:

Love this! Always keep it classy.
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    WOW! I wld of said if it is any of your buisness what I do or where I go anyways.. You should come with me to the gym sometime and I can show you a few workouts since Im sure you havent been in a gym in a long time!
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I first started really getting back in the gym a few years ago, my in law accused me of losing weight for attention. Her son/my ex was not a good person, abusive, and was always lying to me and everyone around him. Because he didn't want me away for too long, he would tell lies about where I was and even say I kept my job only because of my friends, specifically the male ones (I kept my job because he wouldn't work). When I was at the gym, he would tell people he didn't know where I was as if I ran away or was doing something sneaky just to get me to stop going and stay home and rot on the couch with him and his mother, and eat peanut butter cups until we all exploded.

Long story short, people make assumptions, people are rude, and others just don't understand your total situation some times. When people can't understand what you're dealing with, they make up their own story and go with it. When they have settled on why you do the things you do, it's tough to ever convince them of the truth. I say, do what is good for you and surround yourself with supportive people why "get it". If you can manage enough good energy, it's easier to fight off the bad.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just quickly summarize:

Exercising for your health and wellness is first; aesthetics are secondary.
    It's none of their business.
    The gym is third, only to religion and parenting, for unsolicited criticism and opinions.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    OP, how old is your mother in law? When I responded I assumed that you were much younger. Many people in older generations don't understand the benefits of exercise especially as it pertains to women. I have literally been told by an older person that my uterus will fall out if I pick up something too heavy.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A general FOAD tends to be my response.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Go into "Spock" mode. Her negativity is illogical, therefore dismiss it and move along.

Can't forget to raise the eyebrow...lol. I totally can to that way of thinking. I will be using this on others.

OP, at this point in my life, I just do not waste my time of breath on ignorant people. I would have shrugged and say oh, and disengaged. That pisses them off more because they are looking for a tussle with you.

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's just ridiculous. Exercise isn't just for weight loss, it's good for you.

It increases your immune system
    it boosts your mood and fights depression (I would have pointed out with rude negative people like her in your life you need this benefit the most)
    improves sleep
    increases energy
    reduced risk of osteoporosis in women
    improves digestion
    reduces the risk of some cancers

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, DON'T start explaining yourself or listing the many excellent reasons for exercise. Doing so implies that she has a say and deserves an explanation as to why and how you run your life.

Cold stare and an attitude that her opinion means less than nothing. You do NOT want to encourage the notion that her commenting is at all appropriate. It is not her place to say a damn thing. She doesn't get a vote.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am a mother in law... (I would never say something like this)
    I am so concerned with the dreaded mil stigma that I over complement her...
    all the family was over Sunday and I must have complemented here at least 4 times..
    she looked great, the food she made was awesome, liked how she styled her hair, etc...
    We do get along great and have some similar personality traits/interests. Yet I still worry about the darn stigma of mil.
    I feel bad for you having to deal with yours. Do what you want for yourself. :)
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Go into "Spock" mode. Her negativity is illogical, therefore dismiss it and move along.

♥ ♥ ♥