Holiday turns into negative comments regarding my gym workouts/results. How would you respond?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would tell her to mind her own damn business.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    Some people need a high five......in the face.......with a chair......

Yep!

I would look appalled and say "Wow, that is really inappropriate to say to another person!" & walk away. Has she always been a complete moron?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I wouldn't...it's your mother in law and it's the responsibility of your spouse...their child to respond not yours.
    What? If my MIL says something directly to me, I'm not going to use my husband as a go-between to respond. This has nothing to do with her husband - why put him in the middle?

You obviously don't have one of those mother in laws.

Yeah, it's two different issues. If my MIL makes one rude comment, I will handle my own business.

If my MIL makes rude comments at every family visit, to the point where it's clearly an ongoing issue, I feel it's my husband's responsibility to say "Mom, you will disrespect my wife like that, I expect you to stop. If it happens again, we will leave immediately and celebrate future holidays with people who we can enjoy spending time with."
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't...it's your mother in law and it's the responsibility of your spouse...their child to respond not yours.
    What? If my MIL says something directly to me, I'm not going to use my husband as a go-between to respond. This has nothing to do with her husband - why put him in the middle?

Yes I do. I just don't need my husband to speak on my behalf.

It's not so much speaking on your behalf as presenting a united front. Often "those" MILs are trying to wedge in and have a pissing contest to prove they are still #1 woman in their son's life.....

OP might feel a whole lot better right now if (assuming he was in the room to do so) her husband had answered his mother with, "Well, I think ccam looks amazing, and she's really enjoying working out. I love seeing her so happy and healthy!"

• RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would tell her, "It is a part of my Stress therapy, instead of smacking people that ask dumb questions, I go to the gym and work out. Now, do you REALLY want me to stop working out"?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

+1

You're not going to win and even if you had prevailed in this round, there's probably another criticism ready to be lobbed your way. I'm sorry. I have dealt with toxic in-laws myself.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    WTH? Why do people say such weird things? I'd just give her a pitying half-smile and change the subject.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

It's not so much speaking on your behalf as presenting a united front. Often "those" MILs are trying to wedge in and have a pissing contest to prove they are still #1 woman in their son's life.....

OP might feel a whole lot better right now if (assuming he was in the room to do so) her husband had answered his mother with, "Well, I think ccam looks amazing, and she's really enjoying working out. I love seeing her so happy and healthy!"

So much this!!!
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd love to come back with a clever comment but never manage to think of one, especially when hit with such an ignorant insult as that. BUT .... use it to your advantage, as others have said it indicates her insecurities, so next time you're at the gym and dont want to keep going on the treadmill or are wanting to quit a bit early on another piece of equipment, just remember her words and use it to motivate you to better things :wink:
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Invite her to come with you next time:)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So yesterday my in-law questioned why I go to the gym since she sees no physical results in my appearance. I work out 3 times a week but have been in a mental rut and have not changed my eating so my appearance has not changed much.

That's what family and friends are there for - to lay it out bluntly, when we need to hear it.

Also....how does she know you're going to the gym at all?
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I

If my MIL makes rude comments at every family visit, to the point where it's clearly an ongoing issue, I feel it's my husband's responsibility to say "Mom, you will disrespect my wife like that, I expect you to stop. If it happens again, we will leave immediately and celebrate future holidays with people who we can enjoy spending time with."

You are right, but as a male, I would need to know that you have this expectaion.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

A united front is great but the original post I was responding to said that it was the husband's responsibility to respond, not the DIL. If the MIL felt comfortable enough to make the obnoxious comment, not through her son but directly to her DIL, then there's no need to involve the son in the response.

If he feels like speaking up in support, hey, fantastic. But if the comment is made directly, I'm going to respond directly.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I guess I would just say "You're entitled to your opinion...." and really struggle to not offer her a saucer of milk.
  • SamanthasMFP
    SamanthasMFP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say prove them wrong! Next year come with some major changes! That'll shut them up! #howrude #getitgirl
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    moesis wrote: »

You are right, but as a male, I would need to know that you have this expectaion.

It should be a given, if a member of your family, whether you are male or female, is intentionally harassing or instigating with a member of your immediate family, it's your responsibility to let them know it's inappropriate behavior, and you will not be forced to choose between your spouse/children and other family members.

Like I said, the previous poster obviously doesn't have one of "those" MILs, because "those" MILs do not stop after one comment or one conversation. They feel they are on a mission to destroy the marriage and get their son/daughter back "where they belong."
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I get the same exact schtick from my husband who prefers to watch TV over everything. Some people are haters and negative. Nevermind that we feel better, mentally and physically, with exercise, regardless of appearance changes. You also work out (my version) to vent frustrations and not go postal with the idiots of the world (like her). said with a smile.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »
    So yesterday my in-law questioned why I go to the gym since she sees no physical results in my appearance. I work out 3 times a week but have been in a mental rut and have not changed my eating so my appearance has not changed much. I do have an increase in muscle strength and and gaining improvement in my recovery rates. Working my heart and lungs, etc. She thinks it's doing nothing and that I'm only there for the social aspect. I get in and get out so I'm not standing around socializing but I do like the people I work out with or around at the gym and enjoy their company. She still thinks I am wasting my money and was pretty negative regarding my appearance. I told her I am gaining benefits that you can not see outwardly but she wouldn't agree. How would you respond?
    I'd pretty much change the subject, and spend less time around her, probably. That's very poor of her. However, maybe what she says will bump you into newer and better efforts. I think that's the effect it would have on me. It would shake me out of my rut.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Great advice and lots of laughs. :smile: Yes I am older (I feel and probably act younger than I should ;)), but I still agree with respecting my elders and she is of course my mother-in-law. Discussions with her usually turn into debates that keep me on my toes but I got frustrated yesterday where some of your answers would have been good replies. Sadly she has the mentality that people that work out are only doing it to lose weight and when they don't she feels like they are wasting time/money. I just remembered her comments about some co-workers last year that joined Curves (not my gym) and she did not notice any change in their appearance so her comments were very similar. I don't want to put her reasoning based on her age because my mother is older than her and a keeps physical knowing the benefits. I think it's just her mentality and I agree with a poster that said she just "doesn't get it". Guess even at my age it's hard for me to ignore people and move along so I put this post out there. I will use some of these replies next time. I shouldn't have to explain myself but I guess I wanted her to understand the benefits and maybe take a cue.

Honestly why do you have to reply or give a response thats anything more than a smile? Anything else is a wasye of time, she wont change her mind, as some people have pointed out its about her personality and she is provoking the situation. Why do you have to wnat her to do anything, spend your time better by reviewing your logging or working hard at the gym, which will give you results that speak for themselves. Do whats best for you.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    I

Oh, you're absolutely right!

That would clearly be a decision we'd have to arrive at together, but I would request that he deliver the news to his family.

Of course, in our marriage I'm the one who has to handle these things, since it's my family who acts like *kitten*.