The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Options

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I saw her on YouTube so I decided to look at the ingredients in my favorite turkey sticks that's only 45 calories and 3g of fat - There is an ingredient called CARRAGEENAN - it's banned in Europe but still good here. I'm still going to eat it - it's good!

Carregeenan is only banned for use in infant formulas in Europe since it MIGHT cause intestinal distress. The ban's simply precautionary, and certainly wasn't a universal ban from all products.

It's extracted from seaweed!

Carrageenan is used in so many things and doesn't have to be listed on labels... including beer.

For most people, it's a no biggie thing. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is one of those lucky guys that has Ulcerative Colitis and was told by his doctor to avoid it as it can bring on flareups and make them worse (as well as other fun stuff).

Shopping for him has been super fun since he's been given a list of additives he can't have due to their possible effects on UC. And when we find a brewery that doesn't put it in their beers, he stocks up on growlers of the stuff.

ETA: I have no problem with carregeenan and gladly enjoy the toxinz.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Im an engineering major and I had to explain to my mom's husbands daughter that "No, the earth isn't 5000 years old", "You cant just do cardio and starve yourself to lose weigh because your body doesn't work that way" and "No, vaccines don't cause autism and that paper everyone cites is nothing but flawed research with lots of big words to scare idiots". You can't fix stupid and she's the average American.

My bob, how did you survive that encounter? She's got all the crazies rolled into one!

Yeah, that was a close call, survival wise, for the student step sister who considers herself above average and smarter than the average stupid American. Maybe she used flashcards, some chalk and a blackboard to urge everyone on board the Intellectual Enlightenment Train.

You don't need to be intellectually enlightened to accept reality. It's just that many Americans, some smart, some stupid, have decided to ignore reality and live in a fairy land where vaccines give them autism, the world is only a couple of minutes old and their speshul snowflyke selves can't possibly digest anything with a carbon atom in it!

Mocking people for not being as intelligent as you is a jerk move. Mocking people just as intelligent as you for ignoring reality, Welp guess what, the nerds can bring it too.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm on my lunch break and was looking for that thread by that young anemic woman who's hair was falling out and she couldn't swallow Flintstones chewable vitamins without vomiting. Where'd it go? (I'm asking y'all here cause I know many of you were reading that trainwreck of a post.) Did the moderators delete it?
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    I'm on my lunch break and was looking for that thread by that young anemic woman who's hair was falling out and she couldn't swallow Flintstones chewable vitamins without vomiting. Where'd it go? (I'm asking y'all here cause I know many of you were reading that trainwreck of a post.) Did the moderators delete it?

Probably. That was just ridiculous....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

Are you thinking of this one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10131131/will-this-correct-my-iron-deficiency/p1

I believe she started several threads that have all been closed. This one is still there (but it's closed) and you can search the OP's user name to find out if their other threads are still around.

• DaneanP
    Options
    Yes! Thanks Dianne. It was like starting to watch a daytime soap opera this morning when I left the house and wanting to pick back up on it during lunch. LoL
  • DaneanP
    Options
    Meh. I hardly missed anything. Same as with soap operas. :p
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I like cake
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I like cake

Cake has Sodium Bicarbonate in it! Therefore it is EEEEEBULL!!!!!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I like cake

Cake has Sodium Bicarbonate in it! Therefore it is EEEEEBULL!!!!!!

THE CHEMIKILLZ MAKE ME STRONGER RAWR

giphy.gif
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Regarding the title of this thread - is that despite all of the detoxes she does?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Carrageenan...
    For most people, it's a no biggie thing. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is one of those lucky guys that has Ulcerative Colitis and was told by his doctor to avoid it as it can bring on flareups and make them worse (as well as other fun stuff).

Shopping for him has been super fun
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. When we were trying to get to the bottom of my son's migraines, the doctor gave me a long list of foods to avoid, including MSG, tomatoes, and old cheese. Just try and find a prepared soup, stew, or sauce without them!

Come to think of it, that time taught me to read labels, and how to cook these things for myself. Not a bad tradeoff.

A couple years later my son got a forbidden list from the orthodontist. Older and wiser, he "lost" the list on the way home.
  • Desi2479
    Desi2479 Posts: 909 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok, I just had an ad for Cheerios pop up on my side bar. It made me giggle more than is probably polite.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Im an engineering major and I had to explain to my mom's husbands daughter that "No, the earth isn't 5000 years old", "You cant just do cardio and starve yourself to lose weigh because your body doesn't work that way" and "No, vaccines don't cause autism and that paper everyone cites is nothing but flawed research with lots of big words to scare idiots". You can't fix stupid and she's the average American.

My bob, how did you survive that encounter? She's got all the crazies rolled into one!

Yeah, that was a close call, survival wise, for the student step sister who considers herself above average and smarter than the average stupid American. Maybe she used flashcards, some chalk and a blackboard to urge everyone on board the Intellectual Enlightenment Train.

What. The. Actual. F**k?

Those who choose not to think only have one recourse against those that do, making is seem like elitist jerks.

It's sort of the same thing I did with bodies before I found this place "ah, that slim woman, she must starve herself, ah that fit woman, must be nice to have all that time to work out!

Of course they were just lies that made me feel good about me not using my body.

So she's doing the same, she tells lies to herself about people who use their brains to make herself feel better about not using hers.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

What. The. Actual. F**k?

Those who choose not to think only have one recourse against those that do, making is seem like elitist jerks.

It's sort of the same thing I did with bodies before I found this place "ah, that slim woman, she must starve herself, ah that fit woman, must be nice to have all that time to work out!

Of course they were just lies that made me feel good about me not using my body.

So she's doing the same, she tells lies to herself about people who use their brains to make herself feel better about not using hers.

Makes perfect sense!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

What. The. Actual. F**k?

I think there's an element of ad hom in there too. If the other person is a jerk then what they say isn't true.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

What. The. Actual. F**k?

I think there's an element of ad hom in there too. If the other person is a jerk then what they say isn't true.

Ha! In that case I've been lying since forever !
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ugh that chick is the worst. She has know idea what she is actually talking about, and yet she just keeps at it
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Love this thread and it reminded of a time years ago when my mother-in-law was going on about only feeding the grand kids 100% natural snacks. My husband told her " dog****" is also 100% natural, but I wouldn't feed it to my kids!"
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think she is trying to garner some extra attention today