Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    My chemistry knowledge is nil, so I don't get the joke. Boo.

However nil it is, I still had to quit following the Food Inc feed because I got tired of explaining that carbonated water has not magically become pure acid just because CO2 has been introduced to H2O, because bubbles.

Easy lesson:
    There are several elements that are very dangerous on their own, but when part of a larger chemical compound they are quite harmless (it has to do with the chemical binding usually)

One of the most famous examples of this is Sodium Chloride, plain old table salt. Together it's generally harmless and makes meat and veggies yummy, but Sodium on it's own bursts into fire if it touches water, and chlorine gas will kill you good.

Food Babe (and their ilk) tend to find evil chemicals in food, while in reality most are harmless (like the sodium in salt)

The big molecule you see there is victim in B12. It contains cobalt (a heavy metal) and several benzene rings (flammable stuff often found in crude oil). Linked up as they are they help your body, apart, not so much!

/science-rant

Ah, B12. I knew the first bit, but missed the big molecule's identity.

Ironically, I think Food Babe might eventually be deficient in it. I think she's vegan, and even vegan sources of B12 are currently sniffed at by some of these groups because OMG BIG AGRICULTURE OWNS MARMITE. (Not kidding, that came across my feed just yesterday from some old friend or another....)

She isn't vegan, although she promotes a lot of plant foods.

Oh, OK. I stand corrected. I've only ever seen stuff of hers that people repost/share, and it's all been lunacy like "chewing" vegetable juice, sending good energy to your salad, and GMOs will give you immediate cancer.

All of my vegan friends prefer Guinness for their B12, anyway. :)

No, she promotes a lot of "veganish" woo -- it's understandable that you would think that. As for me, I'm vegan and you will get my Marmite from my cold dead hands (and I'm even American!).

Chewing vegetable juice? What the actual f? The only "good" thing about Food Babe's insanity is that the people following her tips will widely broadcast their craziness so that we are warned to stay away from them. If I saw someone chewing juice, I don't even know what I would do . . .
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

However nil it is, I still had to quit following the Food Inc feed because I got tired of explaining that carbonated water has not magically become pure acid just because CO2 has been introduced to H2O, because bubbles.

Easy lesson:
    There are several elements that are very dangerous on their own, but when part of a larger chemical compound they are quite harmless (it has to do with the chemical binding usually)

One of the most famous examples of this is Sodium Chloride, plain old table salt. Together it's generally harmless and makes meat and veggies yummy, but Sodium on it's own bursts into fire if it touches water, and chlorine gas will kill you good.

Food Babe (and their ilk) tend to find evil chemicals in food, while in reality most are harmless (like the sodium in salt)

The big molecule you see there is victim in B12. It contains cobalt (a heavy metal) and several benzene rings (flammable stuff often found in crude oil). Linked up as they are they help your body, apart, not so much!

/science-rant

Ironically, I think Food Babe might eventually be deficient in it. I think she's vegan, and even vegan sources of B12 are currently sniffed at by some of these groups because OMG BIG AGRICULTURE OWNS MARMITE. (Not kidding, that came across my feed just yesterday from some old friend or another....)

Oh, OK. I stand corrected. I've only ever seen stuff of hers that people repost/share, and it's all been lunacy like "chewing" vegetable juice, sending good energy to your salad, and GMOs will give you immediate cancer.

No, she promotes a lot of "veganish" woo -- it's understandable that you would think that. As for me, I'm vegan and you will get my Marmite from my cold dead hands (and I'm even American!).

Chewing vegetable juice? What the actual f? The only "good" thing about Food Babe's insanity is that the people following her tips will widely broadcast their craziness so that we are warned to stay away from them. If I saw someone chewing juice, I don't even know what I would do . . .

How does one even chew juice? Isn't it impossible?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

apparently, you can release even more KALE MAJICKS if you work your juice with your teeth. I cannot explain further, as my college did not have a Broscience or Woo distribution requirement. I'll see if I can find the graphic I saw, just for giggles....FOUND IT! (hope it doesn't get sized weird)

safe_image.php?d=AQC_D8WaUJwFAdzk&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.foodbabe.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fjuicing-mistakes2.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=640&sh=335

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

apparently, you can release even more KALE MAJICKS if you work your juice with your teeth. I cannot explain further, as my college did not have a Broscience or Woo distribution requirement. I'll see if I can find the graphic I saw, just for giggles....FOUND IT! (hope it doesn't get sized weird)

safe_image.php?d=AQC_D8WaUJwFAdzk&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.foodbabe.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fjuicing-mistakes2.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=640&sh=335

Too many green vegetables....in the green juice...

Wha??
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

I sometimes swish whatever I'm drinking (including juice) around in my mouth. Does that count? If so, I'm going to stop.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

Priceless.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll see if I can find the graphic I saw, just for giggles....FOUND IT! (hope it doesn't get sized weird)safe_image.php?d=AQC_D8WaUJwFAdzk&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.foodbabe.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fjuicing-mistakes2.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=640&sh=335

Erk, I just lost brain cells. See, with a mistake list like that, failed green juicers can blame themselves for the lack of results. They just weren't doing it right.

Could I chew juice by swishing it through my teeth? I imagine it has to do with breaking down the individual cell walls before it hits the stomach.

I don't want to give that babe's site any more hits. Where's science babe when I need her?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

So don't treat green juice as a meal unless you are fasting and treating it as a meal? Got it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

So don't treat green juice as a meal unless you are fasting and treating it as a meal? Got it.

Yeah so if you turn all the "mistakes" into the opposite, positive suggestion, it would read:

1. Drink Green Juice First Thing In the Morning
    2. Drink Green Juice Very Quickly
    3. Use Mostly Bitter Fruits and Vegetables in Your Green Juice
    4. Drink Green Juice With Other Foods (I think?)
    5. Chew Your Green Juice (duh)
    6. Clean Your Juicer (see and I thought the point of juicing was that it was for cleansing, shouldn't the juice self clean the appliance that it is in?)
    7. Use Something Other than Kale and Spinach (I think - this one confuses me - what other green things do you make green juice out of if not kale and spinach?)
    8. Keep Juicing - No Smoothies

• MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Remember, flying is dangerous because they put nitrogen in the air, rather than just oxygen.....
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I actually use to follow her. I think that lasted all of a week. I don't recall the article or post I read, but sure enough, it was enough for me to bail because her logic is completely flawed and I am not that stupid. I think the quote that made me giggle the most was,

"Hari's rule? "If a third grader can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

My rule? Don't base your diet on the pronunciation skills of an eight-year-old."

Seriously - I have a 9 year old and I know how well he can read. If this were the case, I'd eat eggs, cheese, mac and cheese and broccoli for the rest of my life. :D:D:D

Thanks for posting this! After I stopped following her, I didn't really think much of her, and it makes me sad that people follow her like lambs. :(

I loved this article and your post Beauty_For_Ashes is spot on. I love it. :smiley:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Remember, flying is dangerous because they put nitrogen in the air, rather than just oxygen.....

Right because100% oxygen in an enclosed environment is soooo much safer...duuhh.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

You stopped juicing because green smoothies are better...

What the what...

The whole food pulverized isn't better than the juice... what the how...

Too many vegetables in your vegetable juice... what the..

The whole thing...

tumblr_mk1q2kuWRq1s981pko1_500.gif

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'll see if I can find the graphic I saw, just for giggles....FOUND IT! (hope it doesn't get sized weird)safe_image.php?d=AQC_D8WaUJwFAdzk&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.foodbabe.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fjuicing-mistakes2.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=640&sh=335

Erk, I just lost brain cells. See, with a mistake list like that, failed green juicers can blame themselves for the lack of results. They just weren't doing it right.

Could I chew juice by swishing it through my teeth? I imagine it has to do with breaking down the individual cell walls before it hits the stomach.

I don't want to give that babe's site any more hits. Where's science babe when I need her?

No, you do that with oil for that oil pulling woo nonsense. I bet she's into that too.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Easy lesson:

/science-rant

You stopped juicing because green smoothies are better...

What the what...

The whole food pulverized isn't better than the juice... what the how...

Too many vegetables in your vegetable juice... what the..

The whole thing...

tumblr_mk1q2kuWRq1s981pko1_500.gif

I know. The only semblance of reality is that it is true that leaving your juicer dirty is a bad idea. That's a mistake you only make once, though. When the pulp dries on the sucker, it's a BEAST to clean.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

Right because100% oxygen in an enclosed environment is soooo much safer...duuhh.
    Yeah, just ask the Apollo 1 astronauts.

Too soon?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Too soon?

I think that one might always be too soon.

But well done and very excellent point.

• crazyjerseygirl
    Options

Too soon?

Too soon or not it's an apt argument against her crazies!
    I almost want to come up with something crazy and see if she's claimed it.

Ok, here it goes:

Panama disease was created by the FDA so they could introduce poison GMO bananas into the unsuspecting public.

Nooooow GO!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Too soon?

Ok, here it goes:

Panama disease was created by the FDA so they could introduce poison GMO bananas into the unsuspecting public.

Nooooow GO!

Someone should tip her off about that and see if she runs with it...
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Too soon?

Ok, here it goes:

Nooooow GO!

Someone should tip her off about that and see if she runs with it...

OMB if I didn't actually give a hoot about reality I sooooo would.