On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone, I decided to swap out my breakfast of oatmeal for greek yogurt since I'm hoping it will be more filling and give me more protein. I really don't like greek yogurt, so I got some berries to mix in it since I heard it will taste delicious. While I was at the store, I was trying to decide which Greek yogurt to pick which was difficult since I know nothing about it besides it's healthy. I saw ones with 0%, 5%, and 10% fat. I decided to go with the 10% fat one since it was a lot cheaper than the other ones, although this greek yogurt unfortunately has a lot less protein. :( I thought it was fine though since I've heard that fat isn't bad and it helps fill you up.

Here are the stats per 100 grams:

Energy: 510 kJ
Energy: 120 kcal
Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
Which monounsaturated: 2g
Which polyunsaturated: 0.3 g
Carbohydrates: 3.5g
sugars: 3.5 g
Dietary fiber: 0 g
Proteins: 4.5 g

So please let me know if I picked a bad quality greek yogurt or if it's fine. Im starting to worry I picked the wrong one. Especially since there was one with 0% fat, less calories, and 10% protein per 100 grams, but it was a lot more expensive.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    It looks like you did OK. I usually have a container of the full fat (probably 10%) and a container of the fat free in my fridge.
    Which one I decide to eat depends on how many calories I have in my budget and whether I'm low on fat for the day.
    Just keep an eye on your calories. If you struggle to stay under calories, you might switch to the non-fat next time. It's not as delicious, but the serving size is usually more like 200g, so you can eat more and get twice the protein.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I decided to swap out my breakfast of oatmeal for greek yogurt since I'm hoping it will be more filling and give me more protein. I really don't like greek yogurt, so I got some berries to mix in it since I heard it will taste delicious. While I was at the store, I was trying to decide which Greek yogurt to pick which was difficult since I know nothing about it besides it's healthy. I saw ones with 0%, 5%, and 10% fat. I decided to go with the 10% fat one since it was a lot cheaper than the other ones, although this greek yogurt unfortunately has a lot less protein. :( I thought it was fine though since I've heard that fat isn't bad and it helps fill you up.

So please let me know if I picked a bad quality greek yogurt or if it's fine. Im starting to worry I picked the wrong one. Especially since there was one with 0% fat, less calories, and 10% protein per 100 grams, but it was a lot more expensive.

That looks more like regular full-fat yogurt than greek yogurt to me. Probably very tasty though.

One thing to look out for is the hidden artificial sweeteners. There are plenty of 100-120 kcal per serving flavored Greek yogurts out there that do not have any sweeteners beyond fruit and sometimes a little sugar. But I had the very unfortunate experience of Surprise Splenda in one brand. I can taste that bitter stuff a mile away! Ruined my yogurt for me.

I wait for the Siggis to go on sale and stock up on that. 100 cal for over 5 oz of wicked creamy yogurt, with 14g of protein? Super Win.
  • jenniator
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    It looks like you did OK. I usually have a container of the full fat (probably 10%) and a container of the fat free in my fridge.
    Which one I decide to eat depends on how many calories I have in my budget and whether I'm low on fat for the day.
    Just keep an eye on your calories. If you struggle to stay under calories, you might switch to the non-fat next time. It's not as delicious, but the serving size is usually more like 200g, so you can eat more and get twice the protein.

Thank you! That is a relief for em to hear. :) I have no problem with a bit more calories. I normally eat a turkey sandwich and the bread alone has 115 calories! I am only upset a bit with the lower protein :pensive:
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

That looks more like regular full-fat yogurt than greek yogurt to me. Probably very tasty though.

One thing to look out for is the hidden artificial sweeteners. There are plenty of 100-120 kcal per serving flavored Greek yogurts out there that do not have any sweeteners beyond fruit and sometimes a little sugar. But I had the very unfortunate experience of Surprise Splenda in one brand. I can taste that bitter stuff a mile away! Ruined my yogurt for me.

I wait for the Siggis to go on sale and stock up on that. 100 cal for over 5 oz of wicked creamy yogurt, with 14g of protein? Super Win.

The package I bought said it was greek yogurt, so I really hope it is lol! I hope it still is alright since I have no idea if full-fat yogurt is good for dieting. Thank you for warning me about the hidden artificial sweeteners. :) I don't believe this one has any. I plan to use berries to sweeten it up though! But urg that must have been a horrible experience for you :(

Here is a picture of the yogurt I bought. Sorry that it's in Dutch, I live in the Netherlands.

Here is the description of it:
    Zaanse Hoeve Greek Style Yogurt

A creamy solid natural yoghurt

Full and creamy taste
    according to original Greek recipes
    with 10% fat

2fm64omtwjyt.jpg
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would say that whatever your body likes better, like if you're hungry or not filling full with it. I prefer the higher protein because that's what keeps me full. I've had it as high as 15 g of protein/ 0 fat/ 120 calories flavored with fruit or vanilla. Good luck!
  • lozzyhunxx
    lozzyhunxx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's low in sugar, which means that it shouldn't have a load of added sugar in it - good choice! Was it a big price difference, because you would be able to eat a little more with the 5% fat? Have you tried any other stores? Try looking online before you go out; I always look at what I want in other stores nearby (on their websites) so I know where is cheapest (and has the best!) :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get plain full fat (10% milk fat) greek yogurt.

I either add protein powder + berries-
    or I add cinnomen a dash of chili powder- honey and some granola on top.

it's fine.

Nice thing about plain greek yogurt is you can use it for sour cream or mayo (its one of the few substitutions I regularly make- since I eat yogurt regularly- but not sour cream or mayo- those go to waste- but I can happily just use the yogurt) works for me.

you're fine.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Why eat it if you don't like it? I hate greek yogurt....so I never eat it.

It's not a healthy "miracle food" to lose weight. If you like it, and it fits your calories - eat it. If you don't like it? Find something else to eat that keeps you full.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Do you like the yogurt? THen you bought the right kind.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I fail to see why this would give you such anxiety…??????
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Do you like the yogurt? THen you bought the right kind.

This is a good way to decide.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I fail to see why this would give you such anxiety…??????

The only reason I worry if because I wish I would've got the one with more protein. :(
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thank you guys for your opinion :)! I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure how it is, but I do plan on having it a bit later and I'm pretty excited.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal and not greek yoghurt, you could always have a bit of both... bear with me :)

Do you like carrot cake? You know, with that delicious cream cheese frosting? How about 'carrot cake' oatmeal? Make your oatmeal with cinnamon and mixed spice, half a carrot (or as much of the carrot as you want - not many calories, and super filling!) and a mashed banana/splash of orange juice for sweetness. Then finish it off with a dollop of greek yoghurt - the carroty oatmeal goodness tastes like carrot cake before it's been cooked, and you can actually almost convince yourself the yoghurt is cream cheese frosting :p
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Liberte Greek Banana Caramel 5%

20140818150958banane_caramel065684003112336.jpeg

or Liberte Greek Lemon 2%

20140515111017citron_2_065684004195201.jpeg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you had a choice. Here most brands are almost always full fat (unless you look really hard and are willing to pay twice the price), almost always palin, and almost always have a 13 day expiration date and should be kept in the fridge. The only ingredients on the vast majority of them are milk, salt, and starter culture. The only difference is their consistency, which depends on how much whey has been drained from them. Protein usually varies between 7 and 12 depending on consistency, so your yogurt does not look like it's greek yogurt. How is the consistency? Does it pour out of your spoon like a regular yogurt or does it stick to it? Either way, I wouldn't fuss if I were you. If you like the taste and the price there are plenty of other sources to get your protein. you're talking about 3 g less protein than usual which is not a big deal.

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% fat is really good, and really high in protein. Per 170g pot there's about 18g protein.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    In the UK we had a programme on telly last week called The Truth About Fat. There were some interesting bits about full fat milk v skimmed. Low fat isn't always the better option.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you dont like it then dont eat it.
    The fat will keep you fuller plus it will make it have a creamier taste and thicker consistency, Uts just yogurt and certainly nothing to worry about.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This one is the yummiest I've found, plus the protein is decent and it comes in a serving of 170g with lots of different fruit/flavour options

f7aafst8zliw.png

i2ah9mv658sp.png