On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the ones with 0 sugar because I really watch my sugar intake. I normally buy the lactose free liberte plain unsweetened greek yogurt that's in a green container. I get my sugars through fruit so I keep my other food items as sugar free as possible.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually 100ml Turkish yog + 200ml unsweetened almond milk + egg protein poweder = shake
    or another fav is:
    200ml-250 ml turkish yog + 1 scoop egg proterin powder + little drizzle of honey. (Usually add blueberries if I remembered to defrost them!)
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D Sorry for freaking out, I'm just trying to find a way to get more protein in my diet and I'm worried about making the wrong choices. Also I wanted to eat something with more protein to fill me up more :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D Sorry for freaking out, I'm just trying to find a way to get more protein in my diet and I'm worried about making the wrong choices.

It's not a pass or fail. you're over thinking it- do the best you can- and always strive to do the best you can.

You are not going to make or break your protein by yogurt alone- yes it's got protein- but it's not just that much. I eat it every day- and it barely helps me.

Do the best you can- if you REALLY like oatmeal to yogurt- buy some protein powder- and mix it in with your oatmeal- bumping up the value of the oatmeal- and getting to eat what you want.

Obviously don't be afraid to try new things- but don't get so hung up on if it's a perfect fit. If it works it works- if not- eat it- when it's done don't buy it again.
  • jenniator
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D Sorry for freaking out, I'm just trying to find a way to get more protein in my diet and I'm worried about making the wrong choices.

It's not a pass or fail. you're over thinking it- do the best you can- and always strive to do the best you can.

You are not going to make or break your protein by yogurt alone- yes it's got protein- but it's not just that much. I eat it every day- and it barely helps me.

Do the best you can- if you REALLY like oatmeal to yogurt- buy some protein powder- and mix it in with your oatmeal- bumping up the value of the oatmeal- and getting to eat what you want.

Obviously don't be afraid to try new things- but don't get so hung up on if it's a perfect fit. If it works it works- if not- eat it- when it's done don't buy it again.

I know I'm over thinking it, but my protein macros tend to be on the lower side and since I'm always hungry, I want to find things with more protein to keep me full. I know greek yogurt won't help alone, but I thought it could be a step to getting a bit more protein in my diet. I actually like both oatmeal and greek yogurt with berries, so I would prefer to go to the one with more protein. I actually have considered adding protein powder to my meals to really boost the levels, but it is a bit difficult since protein has so many calories. :( It's hard to incorporate protein powder since I feel like I don't have enough calories as it is ha ha. I'm not afraid of trying now things :D The greek yogurt with berries is new for me and I really enjoy it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I know I'm over thinking it, but my protein macros tend to be on the lower side and since I'm always hungry, I want to find things with more protein to keep me full. I know greek yogurt won't help alone, but I thought it could be a step to getting a bit more protein in my diet. I actually like both oatmeal and greek yogurt with berries, so I would prefer to go to the one with more protein. I actually have considered adding protein powder to my meals to really boost the levels, but it is a bit difficult since protein has so many calories. :( It's hard to incorporate protein powder since I feel like I don't have enough calories as it is ha ha. I'm not afraid of trying now things :D The greek yogurt with berries is new for me and I really enjoy it!

good attitude- you're on the right track.

Um. just took a quick skim of your diary- how are you tracking to know what your protein is?

I'd make suggestions but I can't since I don't know what you are eating now- or how much.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the protein is lower in the brand you bought because it is 'Greek style' rather than authentic Greek yoghurt.

'Greek style' is just what some countries require you to put on the label if the product is not made actually in Greece. It's the same thing.

If it's higher fat it will be lower protein because it's a percentage - if there's more of one thing there will be less of another. However, unless you're really low in protein I wouldn't worry about it. I don't eat low fat yoghurt because full fat yoghurt is much nicer, and when I had weight to lose I managed to lose 40lb eating 10% fat yoghurt every single day.
  • nurse8000
    Options
    Be careful with tricky labeling! Greek "style" is not Greek yogurt- thus the lower protein....
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options

good attitude- you're on the right track.

Um. just took a quick skim of your diary- how are you tracking to know what your protein is?

I'd make suggestions but I can't since I don't know what you are eating now- or how much.

Thank you :) It's a start to being healthier! I actually haven't used MFP in a long time to track my calories or macros. I usually just write and weigh down everything on paper since I don't carry a computer with me everywhere. Then I figure what's the point of adding it since I already know what my levels are and don't really see the point in it. I mostly pay attention to my calories since that has been the most important thing for me ha ha. But lately I've been trying to pay more attention to my macros which is a bit tricky since I'm not use to doing it.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani yogurt. Those usually have anywhere between 12-14g of protein in one little dish (I forget the size).
  • jenniator
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think the protein is lower in the brand you bought because it is 'Greek style' rather than authentic Greek yoghurt.

'Greek style' is just what some countries require you to put on the label if the product is not made actually in Greece. It's the same thing.

If it's higher fat it will be lower protein because it's a percentage - if there's more of one thing there will be less of another. However, unless you're really low in protein I wouldn't worry about it. I don't eat low fat yoghurt because full fat yoghurt is much nicer, and when I had weight to lose I managed to lose 40lb eating 10% fat yoghurt every single day.

That's good to know! I'm not super low in protein, but I constantly am hungry. So I'm trying to get higher protein based foods since I'm hoping it will keep me full longer. :) Also congrats on the weight loss!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

That may not be totally accurate, because like I mentioned before almost all the varieties we have are full fat and have protein that ranges between 7 and 12 per 100 g without any fortification. If it's regular yogurt made to resemble Greek yogurt with emulsifiers that's when you get sub 5 g per 100 g.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I decided to swap out my breakfast of oatmeal for greek yogurt since I'm hoping it will be more filling and give me more protein. I really don't like greek yogurt, so I got some berries to mix in it since I heard it will taste delicious. While I was at the store, I was trying to decide which Greek yogurt to pick which was difficult since I know nothing about it besides it's healthy. I saw ones with 0%, 5%, and 10% fat. I decided to go with the 10% fat one since it was a lot cheaper than the other ones, although this greek yogurt unfortunately has a lot less protein. :( I thought it was fine though since I've heard that fat isn't bad and it helps fill you up.

Here are the stats per 100 grams:

Energy: 510 kJ
    Energy: 120 kcal
    Fat: 10 g
    Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
    Which monounsaturated: 2g
    Which polyunsaturated: 0.3 g
    Carbohydrates: 3.5g
    sugars: 3.5 g
    Dietary fiber: 0 g
    Proteins: 4.5 g

So please let me know if I picked a bad quality greek yogurt or if it's fine. Im starting to worry I picked the wrong one. Especially since there was one with 0% fat, less calories, and 10% protein per 100 grams, but it was a lot more expensive.

I fail to see why this would give you such anxiety…??????

ndj1979 should have a snickers before coming to the forums.
  • jenniator
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I decided to swap out my breakfast of oatmeal for greek yogurt since I'm hoping it will be more filling and give me more protein. I really don't like greek yogurt, so I got some berries to mix in it since I heard it will taste delicious. While I was at the store, I was trying to decide which Greek yogurt to pick which was difficult since I know nothing about it besides it's healthy. I saw ones with 0%, 5%, and 10% fat. I decided to go with the 10% fat one since it was a lot cheaper than the other ones, although this greek yogurt unfortunately has a lot less protein. :( I thought it was fine though since I've heard that fat isn't bad and it helps fill you up.

So please let me know if I picked a bad quality greek yogurt or if it's fine. Im starting to worry I picked the wrong one. Especially since there was one with 0% fat, less calories, and 10% protein per 100 grams, but it was a lot more expensive.

I fail to see why this would give you such anxiety…??????

ndj1979 should have a snickers before coming to the forums.

ha ha :) But honestly, the only reason I'm trying to find more protein based foods since because I heard eating more protein and fiber will keep me fuller longer. Since I'm always hungry, I figured it is worth a try. I also thought about protein powder, but it just has so many calories.
  • nhaiduckfit
    nhaiduckfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry! If you're nervous about hitting your protein intake maybe add egg whites to your oatmeal or have some on the side? They're high in protein per serving and add thickness to your oatmeal. You can always add protein powder to your yogurt or oatmeal as well! For me I hit my protein really fast so yogurt is something I have to plan around because the non-fat yogurts have a higher amount of carbs than the ones with a higher fat content. I should check those out!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I go with the Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt since it's low cal and high protein. They have fruit mixed in and taste pretty good. I sometimes throw peanuts in because I'm weird. They're about $1 each.

light-and-fit-greek-strawberry-nutrition.jpg

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If it's regular yogurt made to resemble Greek yogurt with emulsifiers that's when you get sub 5 g per 100 g.

Yuck, I've never seen this but I live in the UK. As far as I know Greek yoghurt isn't such a massive thing as a 'health food' here, more a luxury product because it's thicker and creamier and tastes nicer. Also I only buy natural yoghurt and not flavoured stuff.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Why not try egg whites? Good healthy protein and low in calories. Eat the whole egg if you want the fat too.
  • jenniator
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    Why not try egg whites? Good healthy protein and low in calories. Eat the whole egg if you want the fat too.

I do eat egg and egg whites, but I was looking for other options as well. :)