On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry! If you're nervous about hitting your protein intake maybe add egg whites to your oatmeal or have some on the side? They're high in protein per serving and add thickness to your oatmeal. You can always add protein powder to your yogurt or oatmeal as well! For me I hit my protein really fast so yogurt is something I have to plan around because the non-fat yogurts have a higher amount of carbs than the ones with a higher fat content. I should check those out!

The only reason I'm trying to find more protein based foods since because I heard eating more protein and fiber will keep me fuller longer. Since I'm always hungry, I figured it is worth a try. I also thought about protein powder, but it just has so many calories. I do eat eggs, but I'm also looking for other options. Protein powder would be awesome, but it has to many calories for me. :( It's hard to eat low calorie and protein powder would take up to much calories for me.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think the protein is lower in the brand you bought because it is 'Greek style' rather than authentic Greek yoghurt.

'Greek style' is just what some countries require you to put on the label if the product is not made actually in Greece. It's the same thing.

I think it depends where you are - 'Greek style' can include non-strained yogurt that has been thickened with other ingredients http://www.thekitchn.com/greek-yogurt-wars-high-tech-shortcuts-vs-purists-174420
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    If it's regular yogurt made to resemble Greek yogurt with emulsifiers that's when you get sub 5 g per 100 g.

Yuck, I've never seen this but I live in the UK. As far as I know Greek yoghurt isn't such a massive thing as a 'health food' here, more a luxury product because it's thicker and creamier and tastes nicer. Also I only buy natural yoghurt and not flavoured stuff.

That's true. Here in the Netherlands, the Greek yogurt options are very limited and expensive. In the U.S., there's so many options and it's a lot cheaper. ha ha.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry! If you're nervous about hitting your protein intake maybe add egg whites to your oatmeal or have some on the side? They're high in protein per serving and add thickness to your oatmeal. You can always add protein powder to your yogurt or oatmeal as well! For me I hit my protein really fast so yogurt is something I have to plan around because the non-fat yogurts have a higher amount of carbs than the ones with a higher fat content. I should check those out!

The only reason I'm trying to find more protein based foods since because I heard eating more protein and fiber will keep me fuller longer. Since I'm always hungry, I figured it is worth a try. I also thought about protein powder, but it just has so many calories. I do eat eggs, but I'm also looking for other options. Protein powder would be awesome, but it has to many calories for me. :( It's hard to eat low calorie and protein powder would take up to much calories for me.

Really? I can get a decent protein powder for 25-35g of protein for around 120 calories. That's a lot of protein for the calories. If you mix it with water, then there's no extra, or you could get unsweetened almond milk for only 35 calories a cup. I've found that protein powder is one of the best protein to calorie ratios out there (whey isolate being the best).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I was just looking at the whole wheat oatmeal I eat, and while it is more calories, it looks like it has a lot more protein and vitamins that the greek yogurt which is strange since I heard greek yogurt is a lot better....Does anyone have a opinion on which one is better? The oatmeal has 14 grams of protein per 100 grams and the greek yogurt has 4.5!

All food is lovely in context. Greek Yogurt, along with coconut oil, chia seeds, and a few others, is in vogue right now. One food doesn't automatically become superior because it has a few more grams of this or that. Mix it up, eat a variety of foods, have fun, measure your portions so there are no surprises, and enjoy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Where I live Greek yogurt is a daily staple, usually eaten savory. It's not considered a health food, just something people eat on a daily basis, so low fat varieties are not available and quite expensive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Really? I can get a decent protein powder for 25-35g of protein for around 120 calories. That's a lot of protein for the calories. If you mix it with water, then there's no extra, or you could get unsweetened almond milk for only 35 calories a cup. I've found that protein powder is one of the best protein to calorie ratios out there (whey isolate being the best).

indeed- similar thought I had right here.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1500 calories per day, give or take depending on activity level, and my macros are 40/40/20 Protein, Carb, and Fat. I eat Greek yogurt every once in a while, but actually prefer other forms of protein. My diary is public if you want to look. I'm certainly not perfect and not suggesting my way is the only or right way. But I have no problem getting enough protein on my fairly low calorie allowance. So maybe you can get some ideas.

And, yes, there are a lot of entries for cabbage roll over the past week. I made a huge batch expecting guests, but then they told me they couldn't eat cabbage, oops.
  • jenniator
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The problem I always am hungry if I drink my calories like a meal supplement, protein shake, or smoothie. So it doesn't fill me up at all and I'm still hungry. So 120-155 is a lot of calories to me if it won't fill me up and I would have to eat something else after.
  • JoRocka
    Options

The problem I always am hungry if I drink my calories like a meal supplement, protein shake, or smoothie. So it doesn't fill me up at all and I'm still hungry. So 120-155 is a lot of calories to me if it won't fill me up and I would have to eat something else after.

it's not a meal replacmeent- protein is just an added protein source. I add mine to greek yogurt or almond milk. I'm eating around 1700 calories roughly- and it's pretty easy to add in there. I don't eat it make me feel full- I eat it to get my protein consumption up. If you want to eat more protein to make you feel more full- 2 chicken breasts and a bag of steamables should cover that pretty well.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    I guess I'm wondering what your goals are in terms of calories, protein, etc. I looked at your food diary, and there are no entries for the past several days . . . .

Was going to look and see if there was anything I could suggest, but . . . .
  • jenniator
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    I guess I'm wondering what your goals are in terms of calories, protein, etc. I looked at your food diary, and there are no entries for the past several days . . . .

Was going to look and see if there was anything I could suggest, but . . . .

My calories are fine, but I'm really just trying to find more filling foods since I'm hungry a lot. I actually haven't used MFP in a long time to track my calories or macros. I usually just write and weigh down everything on paper since I don't carry a computer with me everywhere. Then I figure what's the point of adding it since I already know what my levels are and don't really see the point in it. I mostly pay attention to my calories since that has been the most important thing for me ha ha. But lately I've been trying to pay more attention to my macros which is a bit tricky since I'm not use to doing it.
  • jenniator
    Options

it's not a meal replacmeent- protein is just an added protein source. I add mine to greek yogurt or almond milk. I'm eating around 1700 calories roughly- and it's pretty easy to add in there. I don't eat it make me feel full- I eat it to get my protein consumption up. If you want to eat more protein to make you feel more full- 2 chicken breasts and a bag of steamables should cover that pretty well.

thank you :) I can be picky about my calories if they won't fill me up or satisfy me. The chicken is a good idea, but a bit too much for breakfast.
  • JoRocka
    Options

thank you :) I can be picky about my calories if they won't fill me up or satisfy me. The chicken is a good idea, but a bit too much for breakfast.

why?

I often have chili for breakfast- when I eat breakfast. I usually don't eat breakfast- but when I do- it's almost always left overs.
    #lazy.
  • jenniator
    Options

why?

I often have chili for breakfast- when I eat breakfast. I usually don't eat breakfast- but when I do- it's almost always left overs.
    #lazy.

I actually love eating leftovers for breakfast and don't mind heavier meals. But I have IBS, so I can't eat anything too heavy in the morning or I will have problems with my stomach :( Even eating lighter meals gives me some issues, but not as much as something heavier. Though I still do it occasionally from laziness and because it's tasty ha ha.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    IBS, light meals required, constantly hungry. Then you need frequent small meals and snacks. Eat within two hours of breakfast. How about eggs? High in protein, filling, and a classic breakfast. Adding vegetables or other fiber sources (your oatmeal is great!) will also help you feel fuller longer.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Ok. So, I have just one more suggestion, then I'm out. Writing everything down seems like a hassle to me, but if it works for you great. If you have access to a computer at least once per day, do this:

Pre plan your meals and snacks, and I agree with the person who said to eat more frequent small meals. If you pre-plan and plug it all into MFP, you'll know ahead of time if your macros are off and you can tweak it to get to your goals. Then eat according to your plan. I do this as much as possible. If you look at my diary for today, I've already entered everything even though I've just gotten through lunch. And I did have to change a few things to get to the macros I was aiming for.

Even if you don't have access to a computer and you're going to write it all down anyway, you can still do the same pre-planning. Might seem like a bit of a hassle to pre-plan, but it is very useful and effective.

Best of luck.
  • JoRocka
    Options

why?

#lazy.

I actually love eating leftovers for breakfast and don't mind heavier meals. But I have IBS, so I can't eat anything too heavy in the morning or I will have problems with my stomach :( Even eating lighter meals gives me some issues, but not as much as something heavier. Though I still do it occasionally from laziness and because it's tasty ha ha.

oh pain- can you just skip breakfast and go straight to lunch?

That or do eggs- I love eggs- and I don't mind cooking them in advance- and then reheating them- do it all the time.
    Or hard boiled. Also easy.
  • jenniator
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    IBS, light meals required, constantly hungry. Then you need frequent small meals and snacks. Eat within two hours of breakfast. How about eggs? High in protein, filling, and a classic breakfast. Adding vegetables or other fiber sources (your oatmeal is great!) will also help you feel fuller longer.

Yeah it really does suck having to stick to lighter meals always. I do eat frequent small meals though out the day, but I always am hungry. I think maybe I just have a huge appetite ha ha. I'm thinking about making some boiled eggs for breakfast. I use to eat scrambled eggs with veggies, but the oil was to greasy for my stomach in the morning urg.
  • jenniator
    Options

why?

#lazy.

oh pain- can you just skip breakfast and go straight to lunch?

That or do eggs- I love eggs- and I don't mind cooking them in advance- and then reheating them- do it all the time.
    Or hard boiled. Also easy.

The problem is the first meal I eat needs to be a light meal :( If I wake up at 2 PM and eat my first meal of the day, it has to be light or it will really upset my stomach. I normally eat 700-900 calories at night since I'm always starving to death by night even though I eat a lot of small meals through out the day and also it works out better because my stomach is able to handle heavier meals at night because it's gotten use to the smaller meals through out the day.