On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have the fat free one as i use greek yoghurt as a protein source.

theres nothing wrong with the one you picked though, as long as you balance your cals/macros for the rest of the day.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, at least you had a choice. Here most brands are almost always full fat (unless you look really hard and are willing to pay twice the price), almost always palin, and almost always have a 13 day expiration date and should be kept in the fridge. The only ingredients on the vast majority of them are milk, salt, and starter culture. The only difference is their consistency, which depends on how much whey has been drained from them. Protein usually varies between 7 and 12 depending on consistency, so your yogurt does not look like it's greek yogurt. How is the consistency? Does it pour out of your spoon like a regular yogurt or does it stick to it? Either way, I wouldn't fuss if I were you. If you like the taste and the price there are plenty of other sources to get your protein. you're talking about 3 g less protein than usual which is not a big deal.

I wouldn't necessary say I have a good choice either. I can get one that is 1.50 euro and it comes with 1kg which is the one I got, or they have 0% with a lot of protein, but it's only 500 grams and it cost 3 euros! The one for 3 euros seems pretty expensive, especially since I would only be able to use it 4 times. :( If I ate it more than twice a day, it would be pretty expensive. But yeah my geek yogurt has 4.5 protein per 100 grams where the other one had 10.3!!
  • jenniator
    Options
    Fage Total 0% fat is really good, and really high in protein. Per 170g pot there's about 18g protein.

Fage Total 0% was actually the one I really liked and wanted to get :D But it was just so expensive. :( I got 1kg for 1.50 euros, but Fage 0% was 3 euros for only 500 grams which can get expensive, especially since I can only use it 4 times if I eat 125 grams.
  • jenniator
    Options
    bio_fit wrote: »
    If you like oatmeal and not greek yoghurt, you could always have a bit of both... bear with me :)

Do you like carrot cake? You know, with that delicious cream cheese frosting? How about 'carrot cake' oatmeal? Make your oatmeal with cinnamon and mixed spice, half a carrot (or as much of the carrot as you want - not many calories, and super filling!) and a mashed banana/splash of orange juice for sweetness. Then finish it off with a dollop of greek yoghurt - the carroty oatmeal goodness tastes like carrot cake before it's been cooked, and you can actually almost convince yourself the yoghurt is cream cheese frosting :p

Wow that's actually a pretty great idea!
  • jenniator
    Options
    Hey guys, I was just looking at the whole wheat oatmeal I eat, and while it is more calories, it looks like it has a lot more protein and vitamins that the greek yogurt which is strange since I heard greek yogurt is a lot better.

Brinta per 100 grams:

Energy: 1452 kJ
    Energy: 350 Kcal
    Saturated Fat: 0.4g
    Proteins: 14 g
    Which sugars: 4.6 g
    Thiamine / Vitamin B1: 0.43 mg
    Phosphorus: 297 mg
    Magnesium: 96 mg
    Zinc: 2.7 mg
    Fat: 1.9 g
    Carbohydrates: 64g

Greek yogurt per 100 grams:

Energy: 510 kJ
    Energy: 120 kcal
    Fat: 10 g
    Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
    Which monounsaturated: 2g
    Which polyunsaturated: 0.3 g
    Carbohydrates: 3.5g
    sugars: 3.5 g
    Dietary fiber: 0 g
    Proteins: 4.5 g

Does anyone have a opinion on which one is better? The oatmeal has 14 grams of protein per 100 grams and the greek yogurt has 4.5!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I think the protein is lower in the brand you bought because it is 'Greek style' rather than authentic Greek yoghurt. If you like it then eat it, but if you are looking for a higher protein brand then just look for something with more protein next time. It looks like you should be able to get Fage in the Netherlands, which has 9g protein per 100g.
    http://markets.fage.eu/international-markets/netherlands/products/authentic-greek-yogurt-5kg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you won't likely be eating 100 grams of oatmeal, and that the protein in oatmeal is a plant protein.
  • jenniator
    Options
    I think the protein is lower in the brand you bought because it is 'Greek style' rather than authentic Greek yoghurt. If you like it then eat it, but if you are looking for a higher protein brand then just look for something with more protein next time. It looks like you should be able to get Fage in the Netherlands, which has 9g protein per 100g.
    http://markets.fage.eu/international-markets/netherlands/products/authentic-greek-yogurt-5kg

Wow I would be so happy if I could buy it in bulk! Unfortunately I've only seen Fage and other brands in 500 grams when I checked several stores. It sucks because there also expensive. Fage 0% is 3 euro per 500 grams :(
  • jenniator
    Options
    Keep in mind you won't likely be eating 100 grams of oatmeal, and that the protein in oatmeal is a plant protein.

I normally eat 50 grams of oatmeal per day which is 7 grams of protein.....and it's still more than 125 grams of greek yogurt urg. I'm not sure what the different is of a protein based plant.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

Wow I would be so happy if I could buy it in bulk! Unfortunately I've only seen Fage and other brands in 500 grams when I checked several stores. It sucks because there also expensive. Fage 0% is 3 euro per 500 grams :(

A small little tidbit that you may not have been aware of: greek yogurt is just strained yogurt. If you don't want to buy any of these you can just put your favorite plain yogurt in a muslin or double layer cheesecloth for a few hours up to overnight, whip it around a bit with a spoon to give it a more uniform consistency and mix in your own flavorings. Viola! Greek yogurt. Keep in mind it will be about half the volume, so judge prices accordingly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal for normal Greek yogurt to have less protein than lower fat one, from what I hear. It's tastier though, and the fat might be more filling than the protein anyway (0% yogurt doesn't fill me up one bit typically).

But hopefully you like it!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% fat is really good, and really high in protein. Per 170g pot there's about 18g protein.

Fage Total 0% was actually the one I really liked and wanted to get :D But it was just so expensive. :( I got 1kg for 1.50 euros, but Fage 0% was 3 euros for only 500 grams which can get expensive, especially since I can only use it 4 times if I eat 125 grams.

Yeah Fage is about £2.50 here, but I only use it every other day so it lasts me about a week. Plus compared to some stuff out there, i.e. protein bars etc it's pretty reasonable I think.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It's normal for normal Greek yogurt to have less protein than lower fat one, from what I hear. It's tastier though, and the fat might be more filling than the protein anyway (0% yogurt doesn't fill me up one bit typically).

I understand that full greek yogurt has less protein than the lower fat one. But if I pick a greek yogurt that is 0%, it still has less protein than the oatmeal?!

Brinta per 100 grams:

Total 0% Greek Yogurt:

Total Greek yogurt 0%
    Energy 243 kJ (57 kcal)
    Fat 0 g
    of which saturates 0 g
    Carbohydrate 4 g
    of which sugars 4 g
    Protein 10.3 g
    Salt 0.1 g
    Calcium 120 mg

The only difference is that the greek yogurt has less calories, a bit less fat and a bit less sugar. So I'm having a difficult time understanding which one is better.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I make my own greek yogurt... cheap, fresh and unbelievably delicious. But I also love Siggis.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I understand that full greek yogurt has less protein than the lower fat one. But if I pick a greek yogurt that is 0%, it still has less protein than the oatmeal?!

Brinta per 100 grams:

Total 0% Greek Yogurt:

Total Greek yogurt 0%
    Energy 243 kJ (57 kcal)
    Fat 0 g
    of which saturates 0 g
    Carbohydrate 4 g
    of which sugars 4 g
    Protein 10.3 g
    Salt 0.1 g
    Calcium 120 mg

The only difference is that the greek yogurt has less calories, a bit less fat and a bit less sugar. So I'm having a difficult time understanding which one is better.

You should compare by calories, not by weight. That's how you can tell a good protein source. 0% Greek yogurt has 10g of protein for 100 calories. Oatmeal would have 4g for 100 calories.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in Northern Sweden and choice up here is quite limited, but maybe you might find different choices in different supermarkets? I know that there are the "usual" Greek/Turkish yoghurts here in all the supermarkets and then I found cheaper alternatives also but different brands in each of them. Lidl is one of them with one of the cheapest ones. I don't know if you have a Lidl where you live... or an Aldi?
    Look out for Turkish Yoghurt as well as Greek :-)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Try not to over think this . if you like the oatmeal, then go for the oatmeal. If you like yogurt, then go for the yogurt.
    If you want more protein at breakfast , maybe try adding in a protein shake with your meal and you should be fine.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I get it, when I first started all this off a few years back I was always stressing about eating the wrong thing. So it came as a great relief when I realised there's no such thing as wrong food. If you like it, it's right - just fit it into your diet. Personally I prefer 0% and flavour it with whey and add my own fat through peanut butter. It's all about preference, there's no rule book telling you you're wrong or right. You'll learn this through time, and when you do it'll be a lot easier on your stress levels.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Every morning at 6 am somewhere in a small Dutch village...

Katharos griekse stijl yoghurt: http://www.yante.nl/yoghurt-grieks-turks-bulgaars/katharos-yoghurt-grieks-naturel/ 80 eurocent Per 500 grams

Basic oatmeal http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi48405/ah-basic-havermout : 39 eurocent ( Brinta is not oat but wheat fwiw)

Mix about 50 grams of oatmeal with 50 grams of yoghurt, fruit ( i prefer a banana), about 100 ml of water and some cinnamon. Mix with handblender so that it keeps some texture.
    At least 10 % protein and full until about 10:30

Edited some spelling mistakes.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    how about an egg and a piece of ham or bacon or something...all protein and fats, no carbs or sugars...do that every other day and the more expensive yogurt that you wanted to get on the opposite days, and you can make that container last a week and get more protein overall for the week.