On no, did I pick the wrong Greek Yogurt? :(

Options
12346»

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I decided to swap out my breakfast of oatmeal for greek yogurt since I'm hoping it will be more filling and give me more protein. I really don't like greek yogurt, so I got some berries to mix in it since I heard it will taste delicious. While I was at the store, I was trying to decide which Greek yogurt to pick which was difficult since I know nothing about it besides it's healthy. I saw ones with 0%, 5%, and 10% fat. I decided to go with the 10% fat one since it was a lot cheaper than the other ones, although this greek yogurt unfortunately has a lot less protein. :( I thought it was fine though since I've heard that fat isn't bad and it helps fill you up.

Here are the stats per 100 grams:

Energy: 510 kJ
    Energy: 120 kcal
    Fat: 10 g
    Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
    Which monounsaturated: 2g
    Which polyunsaturated: 0.3 g
    Carbohydrates: 3.5g
    sugars: 3.5 g
    Dietary fiber: 0 g
    Proteins: 4.5 g

So please let me know if I picked a bad quality greek yogurt or if it's fine. Im starting to worry I picked the wrong one. Especially since there was one with 0% fat, less calories, and 10% protein per 100 grams, but it was a lot more expensive.

That's a lot of saturated fat for one little yogurt. Some other Greek yogurts have fiber in them too. One example of this is Chobani 100 Greek yogurt. It has 100 calories and has either 4 or 5 grams of fiber.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I go with the NO FAT because dairy fat (mostly saturated) is dietarily unnecessary-- and I can eat more yogurt.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I found these little silicone egg poaching cups on Amazon for $4. No sticking.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you're always hungry, along with upping your protein why not have more roughage with veggies? Have a huge salad, or make a homemade veggie soup? Soup is a good thing to make. I throw in tons of veggies and two containers of no salt chicken or vegetable stock and a large bowl keeps me full for quite awhile. Carrots have a lot of sugar in them so I stick with celery, butternut squash, onion, leeks, garlic, sweet potato, shrimp, cauliflower, etc.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    If you're always hungry, along with upping your protein why not have more roughage with veggies? Have a huge salad, or make a homemade veggie soup? Soup is a good thing to make. I throw in tons of veggies and two containers of no salt chicken or vegetable stock and a large bowl keeps me full for quite awhile. Carrots have a lot of sugar in them so I stick with celery, butternut squash, onion, leeks, garlic, sweet potato, shrimp, cauliflower, etc.

ohh thank you for the idea! I normally don't get full on salads, but I love the idea of making homemade veggie soup! :D I will have to try it.
  • lulucitron
    Options
    You can add lots of herbs and spices too...just avoid the ones with high salt...Mrs Dash makes lots of nice no sodium ones if you want to combine them with regular ones like basil, oregano, etc.
  • jenniator
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    You can add lots of herbs and spices too...just avoid the ones with high salt...Mrs Dash makes lots of nice no sodium ones if you want to combine them with regular ones like basil, oregano, etc.

I didn't think herbs or spices might have high salt content, I will be sure to watch out for that. Thank you for the advice :D
  • lulucitron
    Options
    The regular ones don't but there's ones packaged as a "seasoning mix" that have salt added...like lemon pepper and garlic & Herb seasoning etc. You're fine with the regular plain ones like oregano etc.
  • PenguinCounter
    PenguinCounter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I, too, searched high and low for a high protein, but delicious yogurt, and finally found Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr. A 150 g. (5.3 oz.) container usually has 14 g protein, 11g sugar, 110 calories - depends on the flavor.

From its label: "All natural milk from grass-fed cows, no aspartame, no sucralose, no gelatin, no artificial colorings, no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, certified gluten free, no rBGH."

I'm eating a Strawberry container now and these are its ingredients and nutrition:
    INGREDIENTS:
    Pasteurized skim milk, strawberries, cane sugar, fruit pectin, live active cultures
    LIVE CULTURES:
    B. lactis, L. acidophilus, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, L. delbrueckii subsp. lactis, S. thermophilus
    NUTRITION FACTS:
    Calories = 110
    Calories from fat = 0
    Total fat = 0g
    Cholesterol = 0mg
    Sodium = 50mg
    Total Carbohydrate = 13g
    Dietary Fiber = 0g
    Sugars = 11g
    Protein = 14g

Website is siggisdairy.com.

I'm in Colorado in the U.S. Hopefully it's available where you are, because it's FANTASTIC! Hope this helps you. :-)
  • verapal
    verapal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Too much fat and too little protein. I always choose 0% or 2% . It has about 15 of protein. 10% is too much.
  • jenniator
    Options
    I, too, searched high and low for a high protein, but delicious yogurt, and finally found Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr. A 150 g. (5.3 oz.) container usually has 14 g protein, 11g sugar, 110 calories - depends on the flavor.

From its label: "All natural milk from grass-fed cows, no aspartame, no sucralose, no gelatin, no artificial colorings, no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, certified gluten free, no rBGH."

I'm eating a Strawberry container now and these are its ingredients and nutrition:
    INGREDIENTS:
    Pasteurized skim milk, strawberries, cane sugar, fruit pectin, live active cultures
    LIVE CULTURES:
    B. lactis, L. acidophilus, L. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, L. delbrueckii subsp. lactis, S. thermophilus
    NUTRITION FACTS:
    Calories = 110
    Calories from fat = 0
    Total fat = 0g
    Cholesterol = 0mg
    Sodium = 50mg
    Total Carbohydrate = 13g
    Dietary Fiber = 0g
    Sugars = 11g
    Protein = 14g

Website is siggisdairy.com.

I'm in Colorado in the U.S. Hopefully it's available where you are, because it's FANTASTIC! Hope this helps you. :-)

Wow that one looks awesome :) Unfortunately I'm from the Netherlands though and Greek yogurt choices are very limited.