What is wrong with my BODY?????

Options
1235»

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Calorie are calories, you shouldn't feel guilty eating anything as long as your close to your daily caloric goal.

Not even close to being true. It is also important to ensure you’re getting your macros and other nutrients right. Otherwise, you risk damaging your metabolism, screwing up your hormones, and setting yourself up for crashing and/or bingeing.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mandymd83 wrote: »
    Starting new way of thinking now. Im going to 1. eat my set amount of calories 2. exercise and eat back only 50% of those burned 3. not freak out when the scale goes up 4. pray this works :) Thanks everyone. Serious Serious help on this thread!!!!!! I am very thankful!!

You're supposed to eat back all your calories assuming you're using a heart rate monitor.

since she said on page one that she does not eat them back, it is pretty safe to assume that she does not have one..

or did you not read the whole thread?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Starting new way of thinking now. Im going to 1. eat my set amount of calories 2. exercise and eat back only 50% of those burned 3. not freak out when the scale goes up 4. pray this works :) Thanks everyone. Serious Serious help on this thread!!!!!! I am very thankful!!

5. Log it all in your diary

As for @AllanMisner 's comments, I think at this point, ensuring she is getting enough calories would be the focus.

When I first started... I focused on eating whatever and strictly meeting my calories. As I got more proficient with logging and understanding what foods made me feel more full, for less calories, without sacrificing taste... I started becoming more aware of my protein levels.

I still don't focus too far beyond trying to get a decent level of protein. The rest falls pretty well into place.
    IDGAF about my sugars, and I know my sodium is high... but a LOT of those work themselves out when I'm trying to meet protein

OP... for now... just keep it simple. Don't worry too much about macros until you are consistently eating enough food. Because you've been eating so low for so long, even hitting THAT target may be challenging, and you may want to consider easing your way back up to good healthy levels.

CONGRATULATIONS on asking for help, and for actually listening to the answers! YOU ROCK!
  • ndj1979
    Options

good plan and good luck!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Calorie are calories, you shouldn't feel guilty eating anything as long as your close to your daily caloric goal.

Not even close to being true. It is also important to ensure you’re getting your macros and other nutrients right. Otherwise, you risk damaging your metabolism, screwing up your hormones, and setting yourself up for crashing and/or bingeing.

Your "metabolism" doesn't get damaged. WHen people eat, they have a decent distribution of macros, it's not like someone is going to eat 100% carbs/fats or protein.

If binging is the issue it would be better to lower carbs.

really, so if someone like OP is netting a insanely low number like 400 to 700 calories a day for a year, then they will have no metabolic damage what so ever?

if that is the case then why did you agree that OP should eat more, because based on what you are now saying she would gain weight at the higher intake level??

I see you are still stuck on the ridiculous notion that people only binge on carbs...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Your "metabolism" doesn't get damaged. WHen people eat, they have a decent distribution of macros, it's not like someone is going to eat 100% carbs/fats or protein.

Sorry, but that’s not what I see when I look at many people’s food logs. I see cereal, bagels, bread, pasta, fruit, but very few nutrient dense vegetables and very little meat or fish. There are reasons why General Mills and Coca Cola are huge companies.
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

really, so if someone like OP is netting a insanely low number like 400 to 700 calories a day for a year, then they will have no metabolic damage what so ever?

if that is the case then why did you agree that OP should eat more, because based on what you are now saying she would gain weight at the higher intake level??

I see you are still stuck on the ridiculous notion that people only binge on carbs...

Metabolic Damage is metabolic adaptation. Metabolism can be decreased, but it can also be increased. It's not "broken".
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

People don't go around saying, "I binged on chicken breast and salad" I know you guys don't get things to clearly, so I will clear it up, "people usually binge on processed carbs."

wait, you just said your metabolism does not get damaged, and now you are saying it does???

I never said people binged on chicken and salad, that is a straw man argument that you are setting up.

If someone binged on chips, is it because of the carbs, or because of the fats, or because of the salty taste and they just keep eating them?

My point is you can't just isolate carbs, and say that is what people binge on.

what about someone that crushes a 20 oz steak? OR does that not fit your definition of binging?

Back in the day I could house down three to four cheese burgers....or is that not binging?

Your argument that people binge on carbs is ridiculous.

ETA - I am done arguing with you in this thread, as I do not want to derail OP ..

if you want, start a thread called "people only binge on carbs" and see what the response is.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Metabolic Damage is metabolic adaptation. Metabolism can be decreased, but it can also be increased. It's not "broken".
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

People don't go around saying, "I binged on chicken breast and salad" I know you guys don't get things to clearly, so I will clear it up, "people usually binge on processed carbs."

I'm sorry, PU, but all I'm hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH. Your responses are not adequate for this thread. The OP was way underestimating her caloric intake and was eating at dangerously low levels. She's not concerned about binging or carbs or even macros.

Perhaps you should leave this technical argument to it's own thread, and leave the OPs thread alone?

:drinker:
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This has been a great discussion. I appreciate the reasonable, sound advice given here. I didn't post any advice, but I have taken a lot from here. Thanks!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Here is my routine 7 days a week. 2.5 miles of walking highest5mph. 1400 calories a day or less. I eat Egg whites (3 tbs) 1 pc of whole wheat grain bread and natural cheese every morning. I eat turkey or chicken with a veggie for lunch. snack is banana or hummus dinner I eat only chicken or fish and salad. I drink 6 bottles of water a day. I cant lose weight. Im 5'10" 176 sometimes it will go to 174 if Im lucky....Please help Im at a loss

We blossom during rest times...when do you rest

• amylee280
    amylee280 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey... Have you tried a different routine/exercise instead of walking? I'm sorry if this had been mentioned....
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    OP, check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on MFP. The body needs adequate fuel to function & exercise.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Actually Shadowan I have felt better these last 4 weeks then i have in a long time!! I just got on the scale today and saw a 2lbs rise and almost just wanted to crawl back in the bed with some chocolate and a pizza. The scale is what depresses me. Maybe after hearing all your awesome comments I should toss the scale add weight training and eat more healthy food

This!!

I have pics of myself at basically the same weight. In the first I am between 188 and 199 lbs. I wear a 42DD bra, size 18 pants and an 18/20 top. I am currently 190 lbs...wearing a 38DD bra, size 10/12 pants, and a large shirt. The difference? I've been lifting for 2+ years. When I am sticking to my meal plan, I eat 1800-2000 calories a day. I'm 5'2" tall.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this.

That's 19 kinds of wrong. It's not possible for someone OPs size to have a long term plateau on 1400 calories.

If OP is plateauing, then OP's logging is broken.

I wasn't agreeing with a plateau I was agreeing with the fact that OP needs to eat more.

That's exactly the part that's wrong. OP doesn't need to eat more - if OP needed to eat more, the weight would be melting off.

Actually....if you aren't eating enough, your metabolism will slow down, and your body will resist weight loss.

When I ate 1600-1800 calories a day, I maintained. I bumped to 2200 calories a day and lost. I burn 400-500 calories at the gym 5x a week.
  • mandymd83
    mandymd83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im actually eating right for the first time in years. So weird to see how little I was actually eating!!! My food scale is AWESOME!!!!! I just keep saying WHAT?!?!?! I can have more! thats only 2oz or that banana is only 150g???? hahaha!! Im so thankful for each one that said helpful things on here!! I really needed to make some healthy changes and had no idea. Im thrilled to start this new outlook. I've been lifting 10lb dumbbells with a youtube video and I feel like Im actually doing something productive. +walking because its my therapy :) Anyway just wanted to say thanks again. and will check back in a few weeks with PROGRESS Whoo hoo
    ~Stay fit happy and blessed!!~
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im actually eating right for the first time in years. So weird to see how little I was actually eating!!! My food scale is AWESOME!!!!! I just keep saying WHAT?!?!?! I can have more! thats only 2oz or that banana is only 150g???? hahaha!! Im so thankful for each one that said helpful things on here!! I really needed to make some healthy changes and had no idea. Im thrilled to start this new outlook. I've been lifting 10lb dumbbells with a youtube video and I feel like Im actually doing something productive. +walking because its my therapy :) Anyway just wanted to say thanks again. and will check back in a few weeks with PROGRESS Whoo hoo

thanks OP …please keep us updated...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Food scale sounds important I don't use one. I might have 2 glasses of wine but always add them to my count and never go over 2 unless im out on date with the hubs (which is rare)

That's the problem right there.^
    You're eating more than you think.
    Weight your food on a food scale.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Ah! Shame on me for not reading the whole thread before replying! Good job OP!
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Anyway just wanted to say thanks again. and will check back in a few weeks with PROGRESS Whoo hoo

That does bring up a point worth considering. Try using the food scale religiously, but only weigh yourself once a week. Pay attention to how you feel, take pics once a month, and measure yourself once a month. Enjoy the NSV’s that will come of this. Above all, take it meal at a time and one day a time. Ultimately, enjoy working into a new lifestyle as you’re working on the new you! Congratulations on beginning your journey!

Cheers!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eat more. Seriously. If you're consuming 1400 calories or fewer and working out, you're not eating enough. And for heaven's sake, eat the whole egg! The yoke has way more nutrients than the whites.

Upon further investigation I have to agree with this.

That's 19 kinds of wrong. It's not possible for someone OPs size to have a long term plateau on 1400 calories.

If OP is plateauing, then OP's logging is broken.

I wasn't agreeing with a plateau I was agreeing with the fact that OP needs to eat more.

That's exactly the part that's wrong. OP doesn't need to eat more - if OP needed to eat more, the weight would be melting off.

Actually....if you aren't eating enough, your metabolism will slow down, and your body will resist weight loss.

That's only relevant when someone is already fairly lean.

When I ate 1600-1800 calories a day, I maintained. I bumped to 2200 calories a day and lost. I burn 400-500 calories at the gym 5x a week.

Your tracking was broken.