Aspartame "sensitives" study published

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    glevinso wrote: »

Contradicts what exactly? I made no claims in the first place other than there are a lot of studies that document the hazards of aspartame. Everything else I said was my experience and personal opinion.

Sway you? I'm not trying to sway anyone, if you and others weren't so defensive you would know that.

But these studies aren't documenting hazards. You made a very bold claim which I will quote:
    I am absolutely convinced that aspartame is toxic to the human body and at best is a diversion from proven weight loss techniques.

Toxic? Well sure, EVERYTHING is toxic at some dosage. LD50 of aspartame appears to be 5g per kg. So for someone such as me who is 67kg, I would need to eat 335 grams of pure aspartame to get a 50% lethal dose. Just under a pound of the stuff. Typical diet soda contains 125mg of it, so I would need to drink 2680 12-oz cans to get that dose. I would probably die of water poisoning first.

In any case none of what you linked in that massive google-bomb showed me that your claim of "toxicity" has any teeth. Or that it is in any was "diversionary" to "proven" weight-loss technique.

You are right, sort of, I said that "I am absolutely convinced". I did not say that I have irrefutable proof. What exactly about a person's opinion is so confusing? I am not asking anyone to prove their opinion. You have yours and I have mine, neither of us are required to prove our opinion.

Did I miss that somewhere when I signed up for the forum that we must be able to without a shadow of a doubt prove our opinions? o:)

Let me get this straight, you're`absolutely convinced of something you just posted a good dozen medical studies that tell you "nah, you're wrong."?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Opinions are ideas not based on fact. They are useful in situations where "facts" do not come in to play. For example I can say "It is my opinion we should spend more money on space exploration". You are welcome to contradict that because my statement has no factual basis, you can provide a different thing to spend taxpayer money on, and perhaps even provide reasons.

However if I say "it is my opinion that the sky is green" most people will tell me that my "opinion" is simply incorrect and that factually the sky is blue.

This post of yours is 100% your opinion, does that make it wrong?

If the opinion is arguing against facts, then yes, it does. You're still allowed to have it, even thought you will be wrong.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    CdM8J.jpg
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    You will need to explain to me where in that post I presented an opinion on any situation

So then you can provide proof for everything you said? :)

You people are too easy, I've got to get back to work. See ya!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    When you have nothing of substance to add, argue like you are 8 years old...that's the MFP way and beemer has it down pat.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    When you have nothing of substance to add, argue like you are 8 years old...that's the MFP way and beemer has it down pat.

It quickly devolved to the equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"
  • Hornsby

It quickly devolved to the equivalent of "I know you are, but what am I?"

Children gonna child...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I am absolutely sure Hitler did 9/11. Hey it's just my opinion!
    More at 8.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited April 2015
    EvanKeel wrote: »

Contradicts what exactly? I made no claims in the first place other than there are a lot of studies that document the hazards of aspartame. Everything else I said was my experience and personal opinion.

Sway you? I'm not trying to sway anyone, if you and others weren't so defensive you would know that.

But these studies aren't documenting hazards. You made a very bold claim which I will quote:
    I am absolutely convinced that aspartame is toxic to the human body and at best is a diversion from proven weight loss techniques.

Toxic? Well sure, EVERYTHING is toxic at some dosage. LD50 of aspartame appears to be 5g per kg. So for someone such as me who is 67kg, I would need to eat 335 grams of pure aspartame to get a 50% lethal dose. Just under a pound of the stuff. Typical diet soda contains 125mg of it, so I would need to drink 2680 12-oz cans to get that dose. I would probably die of water poisoning first.

In any case none of what you linked in that massive google-bomb showed me that your claim of "toxicity" has any teeth. Or that it is in any was "diversionary" to "proven" weight-loss technique.

You are right, sort of, I said that "I am absolutely convinced". I did not say that I have irrefutable proof. What exactly about a person's opinion is so confusing? I am not asking anyone to prove their opinion. You have yours and I have mine, neither of us are required to prove our opinion.

Did I miss that somewhere when I signed up for the forum that we must be able to without a shadow of a doubt prove our opinions? o:)

Uh huh.

And what exactly is the value of stating your opinion if you're just stating it for no other reason than to state it?

Realistically, just from a rhetorical standpoint, you're making generalized statements and then hiding behind a "This just my opinion" caveat. The common understanding is that you're attempting to persuade, at least to some degree. Now you're just saying that the evidence you provided doesn't actually support your opinion, it's evidence that you have the opinion that you have? Alrighty.

Also, if you think irrefutable proof is a part of science, then you know nothing Jon Snow.

This post of yours is 100% your opinion, does that make it wrong?

Well, no (it's not actually 100% my opinion), at least not in the sense you seem to be using it in. There are several ideas going on there that could be untangled, but that would be another thread. It suffices to say I have rational reasons for my statement. Your analysis of the evidence (which are your claims and means of presenting those claims) differs, I'm sure.

It's a matter of having a reason for drawing conclusions that we draw based on a discussion of available evidence. Your evidence was rejected for various reasons. Then suddenly it's all about your opinion. Again, why does your opinion matter--to anyone who isn't you?

The point of the OP was a study, and that implies a specific contextual framework for discussion that doesn't have much use for the opinions you've presented.

• chivalryder
    C'mon guys. He is obviously trolling. Stop egging him on and just report his posts. By replying, you might get warnings and barred yourselves. Is it really worth it?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    C'mon guys. He is obviously trolling. Stop egging him on and just report his posts. By replying, you might get warnings and barred yourselves. Is it really worth it?

Might be. I have a sneaking suspicion that information gets passed along as fact by forum lurkers when it's really just trolling. I'm ok with exposing it.

--for clarification purposes that is indeed just my opinion :)

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who responded to my question with informative links etc. Very helpful and very useful. The reason I asked was not to scaremonger etc. I personally don't drink any soft drinks etc. But my dad loves his diet cokes (probably 15 cans a day and really helped with his weight loss) but has gave them up due to things he's read about (any)manufactured sugar substitute being linked to cancer. He still uses Stevia though. It's a shame because he considered Diet Coke a real treat for him.

15 cans a day. Reminds me of times I've cautioned that excessive diet soda isn't probably ideal and people called me a scaremonger. It is not unheard of for people to drink 5, 10, even 15 cans of diet soda a day. Just pleased that I've actually found current example of this.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    15 cans a day... I can't even get over how much liquid that is...
  • HardcoreP0rk

This is neither here nor there... but isn't it "bimmer" and not "beemer." Unless there's some other "beemer" I'm not aware of...

I would think that anyone who actually loves BMW would know that...

• HardcoreP0rk

My mom lives in Texas. She totally drinks that much liquid. Not in soda form, but typically iced tea and water.
  • Hornsby

This is neither here nor there... but isn't it "bimmer" and not "beemer." Unless there's some other "beemer" I'm not aware of...

Bimmer equals the cars. Beemer equals the motorcycles.
  • chivalryder

That's 5 litres or 120 oz. or nearly a gallon

Plenty of liquid, which is great, however the 56 year old man from Arkansas who drank iced tea to the point of kidney failure drank a gallon each day. I'd caution drinking that much because that level of anything could become toxic as it did that man.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/01/ice-tea-kidney-failure-arkansas-man
  • chivalryder

All I know is that B.M.W. stands for "Big Money Waster."

:P

Jokes, jokes. I love me some E30, E36 and E46.
  • HardcoreP0rk

I had read that. Ah well. I've never seen anyone really talking about "beemers" as motorcycles. Usually when I see that, it's just some ignorant BMW "fan" talking about the cars.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,645 Member

That's 5 litres or 120 oz. or nearly a gallon

Plenty of liquid, which is great, however the 56 year old man from Arkansas who drank iced tea to the point of kidney failure drank a gallon each day. I'd caution drinking that much because that level of anything could become toxic as it did that man.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/01/ice-tea-kidney-failure-arkansas-man

that must have been a sensitive individual...as a gallon of tea a day is not all that unreasonable. Especially for anyone living in the south where a gallon of fluids per day in the summer is closer to necessary than abnormal.