Aspartame "sensitives" study published

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    C'mon guys. He is obviously trolling. Stop egging him on and just report his posts. By replying, you might get warnings and barred yourselves. Is it really worth it?

I'm not a troll, I gave an example of my personal experience and gave my opinion on a product. I then got pounced on by the MFP bullies that didn't care for my opinion. I never represented my opinion as fact and did state that others are free to use aspartame as they wish. It doesn't particularly matter to me what anyone else consumes.

I did mistakenly think this forum was for the exchange of ideas. Apparently there is only one set of ideas that count. Some people need to understand that due to bullying on forums many people are chased off and are afraid to post. A forum where anyone that dares to think differently is chastised is a worthless forum.

Some talk about childishness, what does my forum ID have to do with anything? Critiquing one's forum ID is the pinnacle of immaturity.

You said that Aspartame is toxic to the body. There are numerous studies that have shown it isn't. I have never seen one that shows that it is. So, essentially, you are arguing facts with your opinion. Do you not see the issue here? All we are asking is for one study that shows it's toxic. I have read at least 100 studies on Aspartame and never once have I seen one that shows it's toxic. If they are out there, I would love to read them.

Maybe there was one in that google-bomb, but if so it wasn't in the first bunch. I can't be bothered to go digging any farther when the first ones contradicted the claim.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    C'mon guys. He is obviously trolling. Stop egging him on and just report his posts. By replying, you might get warnings and barred yourselves. Is it really worth it?

I'm not a troll, I gave an example of my personal experience and gave my opinion on a product. I then got pounced on by the MFP bullies that didn't care for my opinion. I never represented my opinion as fact and did state that others are free to use aspartame as they wish. It doesn't particularly matter to me what anyone else consumes.

I did mistakenly think this forum was for the exchange of ideas. Apparently there is only one set of ideas that count. Some people need to understand that due to bullying on forums many people are chased off and are afraid to post. A forum where anyone that dares to think differently is chastised is a worthless forum.

Some talk about childishness, what does my forum ID have to do with anything? Critiquing one's forum ID is the pinnacle of immaturity.

You said that Aspartame is toxic to the body. There are numerous studies that have shown it isn't. I have never seen one that shows that it is. So, essentially, you are arguing facts with your opinion. Do you not see the issue here? All we are asking is for one study that shows it's toxic. I have read at least 100 studies on Aspartame and never once have I seen one that shows it's toxic. If they are out there, I would love to read them.

No I did not, I said that "I am absolutely convinced that aspartame is toxic to the human body". My opinion 100%.
  • glevinso
    This is getting circular...
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    No I did not, I said that "I am absolutely convinced that aspartame is toxic to the human body". My opinion 100%.

And when someone asked you to show evidence, all they were doing was asking you what made you feel this way. Please, please, just stop and have a cold glass of water before you defend yourself. It's a lot easier to say sorry for over reacting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015

I have no idea how to debate with this. "Aspartame is toxic to the body" and "I am convinced that Aspartame is toxic to the body" says the exact same thing.

• beemerphile1
    @beemerphile1 I do feel a little bad for mentioning that I find it funny. I think we've all been under the microscope at one point!

However I feel that you (and anyone in this situation) need to just calmly say, "I'm sorry that I exaggerated, I wasn't trying to provoke anything."

Instead you succumbed and even posted "evidence" at which point you were officially - and I'm afraid voluntarily - part of the debate. It's hard to see it as 'just you expressing your opinion' when you tell people a)that there is, b) to find, or even option c) where you give out things like... "evidence"

I think all you can do now is take a deep breath, consider this from the side of those who have mentioned roughly that they question things because some people just take personal opinions and assume it's fact, then move on knowing that in future to just add in at the bottom something like "But of course this is just my personal opinion." instead of providing links and such.

My words are kind and sympathetic, please don't see this as attempted bullying

I provided links after being criticized for not supporting my opinion. I did not exaggerate anything and I doubt anyone on here thought my post was anything other than my opinion. It just isn't the 'popular' opinion.
  • beemerphile1

I have no idea how to debate with this. "Aspartame is toxic to the body" and "I am convinced that Aspartame is toxic to the body" says the exact same thing.

"I am convinced" indicates it is my opinion and not that it is represented as fact.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    "I am convinced" indicates it is my opinion and not that it is represented as fact.

All you are arguing now is that people don't have a right to ask "why?".
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Let me ask you this again: Are you still absolutely convinced even after you yourself posted a good dozen of medical studies which basically say "No it isn't."?
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Let me ask you this again: Are you still absolutely convinced even after you yourself posted a good dozen of medical studies which basically say "No it isn't."?

This. This is why the questioning is so important. :smiley:

Also: It's past 8:30 (I always wait a while after dinner) and I think I'm gonna go get me some sugar-free dessert, possibly sweetened with aspartame. Who knows, who cares ;)
  • glevinso
    @beemerphile1 I do feel a little bad for mentioning that I find it funny. I think we've all been under the microscope at one point!

However I feel that you (and anyone in this situation) need to just calmly say, "I'm sorry that I exaggerated, I wasn't trying to provoke anything."

Instead you succumbed and even posted "evidence" at which point you were officially - and I'm afraid voluntarily - part of the debate. It's hard to see it as 'just you expressing your opinion' when you tell people a)that there is, b) to find, or even option c) where you give out things like... "evidence"

I think all you can do now is take a deep breath, consider this from the side of those who have mentioned roughly that they question things because some people just take personal opinions and assume it's fact, then move on knowing that in future to just add in at the bottom something like "But of course this is just my personal opinion." instead of providing links and such.

I provided links after being criticized for not supporting my opinion. I did not exaggerate anything and I doubt anyone on here thought my post was anything other than my opinion. It just isn't the 'popular' opinion.

Your links contradicted your opinion though
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    train.gif
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    I'm waiting for the day someone on MFP argues that Black is in fact White because hey they feel it is ;-)
  • chivalryder
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the day someone on MFP argues that Black is in fact White because hey they feel it is ;-)

Black IS white though! FFS! Black is the absence of light, and white is all of the light. Black works by absorbing light and not reflecting it back. Therefore, black is in fact all of the colour as well and therefore, it is white.

200_s.gif
  • NotQuiteNorm

Black IS white though! FFS! Black is the absence of light, and white is all of the light. Black works by absorbing light and not reflecting it back. Therefore, black is in fact all of the colour as well and therefore, it is white.

200_s.gif

I thought black was just white going through a phase... (JUST my opinion)
  • glevinso

Somewhere in the above pages I tried to argue the sky was green...
  • chivalryder
    edited April 2015
    glevinso wrote: »

Somewhere in the above pages I tried to argue the sky was green...

The sky IS green. Dammit.

Actually, that might be from when I was dropped on my head as an infant.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member

I assumed your post was taking up a position on a factual matter, not merely presenting an opinion. "I am convinced that X" is not really an opinion, anyway; it's an assertion that X is true, backed up with some sort of evidence. In your case, this evidence was a) anectodal personal experience and b) a Google search result bomb that didn't actually support your assertion, so people are rightly taking issue with the presented evidence.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    85d90cc27149fda8d9b0f9aa42da982d.jpg

I think I have a link to verify that...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Sunset_Starnberger_See.jpg

That's proof, right?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    I am really curious about these snack bars that are apparently able to mask the taste of aspartame. How? Just how?