Steak or Salmon?

Options
Hi all! I'm going out to dinner at steakhouse with family. I was checking the menu in advance, and there are two options I was considering - a 7oz filet mignon, likely with a side of roasted mushrooms or salmon (no specifics on how it's cooked or the portion size) with dill butter and horseradish spaetzle. This is going to be an over my usual calories meal regardless, and I really enjoy both salmon and steak. I eat salmon more often because I find it easier to fit into my calories and more readily available (love sashimi) than steak, but neither is a huge difference preference wise. That being said, do you think one option is likely significantly more low calorie than the other? Since I like the two dishes relatively equally, I'd rather make the healthier choice if there's a significant difference. Interested in any insight.

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    How about a tofu scramble? ;) You are going to a steakhouse..... eat the steak.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Really can't go wrong here as long as you are not covering the steak in sauce or salt or putting any extras on your fish. Either choice provides a great portion of protein (7 oz filet mignon is about 39-41 g, need the weight of the salmon to figure out that) and either choice is around 12-15 g of fat which as long as you are not consuming a huge excess throughout the day you can afford to eat either.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The filet mignon with those sides is probably a better choice just because of the salmon with dill butter, and also the spaetzle, but no idea how much oil would be in roasted mushrooms, etc. I'd pick steak, though :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would also ask them to leave off any extra butter...pretty common practice in restaurants is to put a dollop of butter on the top of meats for extra flavor. My hubby was a chef for years and I can barely stop him from doing that at home!
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a hardcore supporter of salmon because I love it, but I'm gonna have to go with @laurend224 on this one, it's a steakhouse so get the steak! :)
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love salmon but I vote for steak as well. ..it's a steakhouse. Lol
  • Cruisin4Losin35
    Options
    Steak 6 oz great protein!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Family occassion , eat whatever you want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My thought? If it didn't really matter which I ate, then I'd probably go with the one that I didn't eat as often. In this particular case, the steak. But that's just how I'd probably decide.

That said, since it doesn't really matter, go with whichever you'd prefer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    I'm usually a hardcore supporter of salmon because I love it, but I'm gonna have to go with @laurend224 on this one, it's a steakhouse so get the steak! :)

+1
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nom nom hard choice....too bad you can't get both...I often order somethign different than my husband based on what we discussed we wanted and we share....
  • DrHDLM
    DrHDLM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would go with the salmon because of the amount of Omega 3, medium rare or just seared. no sauce and lime over it with a side of green salad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why would you even consider getting fish at a steakhouse...????

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    DrHDLM wrote: »
    I would go with the salmon because of the amount of Omega 3, medium rare or just seared. no sauce and lime over it with a side of green salad.

And what about not knowing if it's farm raised or wild caught and the various pollutants supposedly in farm raised salmon Mr. "Medical Doctor".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the answer to your question is that neither is "healthier"...what matters is that your stay within your calorie goal and hit your macro/micros for the day ...and even if you do go over it is no big deal in the grand scheme of things...

• mariastafeler
    mariastafeler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Salmon
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I ate a 14 ounce ribeye first time in months yesturday I logged it "BAM" "wow" 1100 calories and 98 grams of protein!! I did an intense weight workout prior to buying it and felt very little guilt after eating it. My point sometimes you deserve a treat!! I ended up riding 16 miles last night and broke 20,000 steps so most if not all the calories were destroyed..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    last time we went to a steakhouse everyone got the bone in filet which was awesome, except for two people who got salmon, and then they complained that it was not good LOL ..to which everyone was like "well, what did you expect, you ordered fish at a steakhouse!"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ribeye... Filet Mignon is just sad steak.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Salmon is good (I'm assuming wild-caught, because "Atlantic" farm raised tastes yucky), but it is a steak house....

Plus, steak and mushrooms are YUM.