Steak or Salmon?

Options

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I love a good steakhouse. I love it even more when someone asks for their cut to be cooked well done and the waiter refuses at first and tries to convince them against it. I order mine bloody.

My grandparents used to take me to a steakhouse every week when I lived with them over the summer. The place had a posted sign, a statement on the menu, and then reminders from waiters should anyone try to order any steak "well done" or even "medium-well" -- "we do not serve any of our steaks cooked beyond 'medium' - if that doesn't work for you, please feel free to choose something else from our menu."

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Surf and turf and I'm happy happy.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    So-called "prime rib", to me, always feels like banquet food. You know the type - kinda bland, mass produced for 100+ people, but not egregiously bad.

The trick to a good rib roast steak is to sear and cook to rare. Let rest 30min at least. Cut thick and sear on high with butter 2min each side max to crust.

Best standing rib roast cooking formula is in the Barbara Kafka "Roasting" cookbook. It seems odd, with lots of dramatic changes in oven temps, but, I swear....PERFECT every time.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why would you even consider getting fish at a steakhouse...????

So much this.^
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Ladies+gentlemen+ron+swanson+yum_57246d_4542454.jpg
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    So-called "prime rib", to me, always feels like banquet food. You know the type - kinda bland, mass produced for 100+ people, but not egregiously bad.

The trick to a good rib roast steak is to sear and cook to rare. Let rest 30min at least. Cut thick and sear on high with butter 2min each side max to crust.

Best standing rib roast cooking formula is in the Barbara Kafka "Roasting" cookbook. It seems odd, with lots of dramatic changes in oven temps, but, I swear....PERFECT every time.

I need a good meats cookbook! Does this book cover all types of animals?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I love a good steakhouse. I love it even more when someone asks for their cut to be cooked well done and the waiter refuses at first and tries to convince them against it. I order mine bloody.

My grandparents used to take me to a steakhouse every week when I lived with them over the summer. The place had a posted sign, a statement on the menu, and then reminders from waiters should anyone try to order any steak "well done" or even "medium-well" -- "we do not serve any of our steaks cooked beyond 'medium' - if that doesn't work for you, please feel free to choose something else from our menu."

Yeah I have also seen that before.
    Well done has it's place in a steakhouse. It allows the chef to get rid of the gnarly bits that you wouldn't otherwise serve. :D

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

next time you have a family gathering or something get a standing rib roast from your butcher and cook that, it is the bomb...it cuts off like prime rib but definitely not the "mass produce" feeling...

get a little horseradish sauce with it and some roasted potatoes...so freaking good!!!

Are you from the Northeast, specifically the Buffalo area?

I didn't think anyone outside of that region knew about horseradish, much less ate the stuff.

I am from PA and it is fairly common here to do horseradish on roast beef

Born in Florida raised Cali live in Ohio and I do horse radish on some steaks- I started growing it a few years back its grows similar to hostas

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Steak!..Cow of the sea (I think that's right?)
  • Anns24
    Anns24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    How about a tofu scramble? ;) You are going to a steakhouse..... eat the steak.

AGREE AGREE AGREE!! I rarely eat steak and eat fish all the time. I'd go for the steak if for no other reason than the fact you already include salmon in your diet.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I love to eat all of the animals. Salmon is awesome. However at a steak house... I would choose the think they are named for...
  • Anns24
    Anns24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous btw! I can't remember the last time I had a filet.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Timely!

http://distractify.com/beth-buczynski/i-like-mine-with-a-little-moo/?ts_pid=2

(I do not vouch for the science in the article... i just came across it)
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would ask if the Salmon is Farmed or wild. If wild I would go with the Salmon since the steak is probably from a feedlot and full of antibiotics and hormones. If the fish is farmed go with the steak. They put pink coloring in farmed salmon (in addition to antibiotics) that is carcinogenic.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I once ate a 30 Oz steak in a restaurant. Ironically it was finishing the salad that was my Achilles heal. Good times.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n9uoxkRRwN1qd438eo3_500.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fleurk126 wrote: »
    Have whichever you want the most because you'll only regret it otherwise. If you're going to go over your calories then at least get the maximum enjoyment you can from it.
    That said, an additional tip is that if you have steak rare, it is harder for your body to digest and you will therefore absorb less calories (or so I heard?!) Enjoy your night out!

you heard wrong...

it may slightly increase TEF which would increase calories burned off..but you are injesting the same amount of calories whether rare, medium rare, or overdone...

I love that the next choice after medium rare is over done! Lol

I had dinner with clients one night and they were saying how they loved filet mignon and then they ordered it well done!!!! I wanted to be like, you want a saw to cut that with ....but I guess we are all different ..

tumblr_maqfyoR2sh1rugunyo1_250.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Both.

Or don't bother with either and get what you really want:
    Ribeye- or portorhouse.

next question- is it ACTUALLY a steak house- or are you going to a place that just does steaks too?
    Because- yeah I'll get a filet mignon at like- Applebees- or long horn- but if I"m ACTUALLY at a real steak house- I'm going to order a real steak.