OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do we have an answer to the OP? I need to know because it's OHP day and I'd like to know if I should use the squat rack or not.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    since I have a desk job I will no longer be doing OHP because I never lift heavy boxes....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    forrl wrote: »
    Do we have an answer to the OP? I need to know because it's OHP day and I'd like to know if I should use the squat rack or not.
    If you don't use the squat rack for OHP, the terrorists win.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, I kinda pointed that out on page 5.

Page 5? pffft. That was minutes ago. What have you done lately?

Did some OHP in the squat rack.

me too...at lunch...no one in the weight room, but me :smile:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yes, you can use it. Just know though...

61152784.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you don't use the squat rack for OHP, the terrorists win.

Take some 409 and paper towels though. So you can clean the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why the hell would I need to lift anything heavy outside of the gym? Don't we pay people to do that for us?

Except when you have to lift the car off a family member...

Why would my family member be under the car? Don't we pay people to get under the car for us?

If you pay someone to be under the car, I assume you’re going to pay someone to lift the car off them. You must be making bank to have people like this. I have to get under and lift my own damn car.

You're self sufficient like that. Much more satisifying.

I have to pay to have someone go get a car then I have to put it on top of me- then I have to lift it myself- THEN I have to call my own amberlamp. (old *kitten* joke for those of you who remember).
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

There is a girl like you at my gym. She is the reason why I now go to the gym at 6 AM! Does these little circuits in the squat rack and doesn't even need/use the squat rack!!! Super annoying!
  • mizzzc
    Options
    Travis_2 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would consider it rude yes....I would probably ask them to leave the squat rack.
    I guess as long as you don't mind them saying no.

Agreed but it really isn't necessary esp if there is only one squat rack because let's be honest...if you fail at an ohp chances are it's not gonna go anywhere but just stay on your chest area...yes being in the Squat rack makes it easier to get it off your chest but not that nice if there is only one squat rack....

but that's why I have my own personal squat rack and work out at home as I prefer not to have to deal with this sort of thing...funny thing is I ohp in my own squat rack.

And to all those who say they do it and don't see an issue...the question is about etiquette when there is only one rack in the whole gym....and no it's not proper etiquette to take up the one and only squat rack for non squat lifts.

They pay for the gym as well, no?

yes they do..but just cause you pay for a gym membership doesn't mean you own it and can do what you want whenever you want...it would be different if there are multiple racks but in this case there is only one and everyone has to admit if you knew that someone wanted to do squats for you to stand in the one place for them to safely do them for OHP it is rude esp when there are other options for OHP but not so much for squats.

Works out at home.

Tells the world how to gym.

tumblr_inline_mo49b3Jmv31qz4rgp.jpg

LOL

• mizzzc
    Options
    my gym has a "squat rack" Is it a squat rack? Not a cage but has a level to put the bar on to be safely picked up for OHP. I could not imagine someone OHP ing 300+ pounds from the ground. I have a hard enough time OHPing 100 pounds from the ground.

I use the squat rack at my gym for ALL stronglift 5x5 programs. This is why I go in the morning. my gym also only has one squat rack and people are constantly using the squat rack for sit ups after work.

Anyways I'm off topic. It is completely fine to use the squat rack for OHP (assuming its the one that you can position the bar to be level with your chest).
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    I can't believe people are so mean and judgmental about gym etiquette. last time I was at the gym I was doing some circuit training in the squat rack thing and this guy came over and asked me to move. I said no because it's the best place for my resistance bands (there's nowhere else you can really do that at my gym) and he got super upset with me. people just need to let me do my thing!!

There is a girl like you at my gym. She is the reason why I now go to the gym at 6 AM! Does these little circuits in the squat rack and doesn't even need/use the squat rack!!! Super annoying!

Seriously? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the girl above you was joking.
  • mizzzc
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Seriously? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the girl above you was joking.

haha i hope so. but no there is actually a girl at my gym - last time i tried the 5x5 program who would set up steps, resistance bands, and dumbbells INSIDE the squat rack and do her circuit. She used the squat rack for front squats but the rest of her circuit was done without the squat rack. Id ask her if I could get in there and she'd just ignore me. Now I go at 6AM and no one is around except for the cardio junkies :)

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If you can lift it without jerking or straining your back to do an OHP, then do them out of rack, if it's a heavier load, do them in the rack.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!

lulno.

I hope you're just kidding, because ya know... technique and shizz.

If you aren't kidding... lulz.

I know, it's impossible to have good technique when pressing from a clean. Those oly lifters don't know what they're doing....
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!
    Your workout sucks because you can't dive.

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?

just re quoting this because yea you did say that, and I did not twist anything...

Yea, you actually did. I never said that the only goal of overhead pressing was to get strong so you can lift a heavy box over your head. You are intentionally causing a causation fallacy. I did say that overhead pressing would help a person get stronger so that is probably why OP is doing them and that cleaning your overhead presses would help you develop the ability to get a heavy object to your shoulders so you could utilize your overhead pressing ability and used a heavy box as a real world example.

That is a lot different than saying the only reason to overhead press is to pick heavy boxes up over your head and you are obviously aware of that; however, you decided to paraphrase what I said in such a way as to make the plainly obvious statements that I made inflammatory.

Are there any other bs arguments you'd like to subject us to?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    since I have a desk job I will no longer be doing OHP because I never lift heavy boxes....
    I haven't in 45 years on this Earth ever been in a situation where I needed to clean/OHP a heavy box. And that includes the years of warehouse work I did while I was in college. Anyone lifting a box that heavy over their head is inviting disaster anyway.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Can I do overhead presses just cause I want to look better? I pay people to lift boxes for me.

What about cars? Do you also pay people to get under your car?
    Is the car on a platform?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Can I do overhead presses just cause I want to look better? I pay people to lift boxes for me.

What about cars? Do you also pay people to get under your car?

Of course.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    my gym has a "squat rack" Is it a squat rack? Not a cage but has a level to put the bar on to be safely picked up for OHP. I could not imagine someone OHP ing 300+ pounds from the ground. I have a hard enough time OHPing 100 pounds from the ground.

I use the squat rack at my gym for ALL stronglift 5x5 programs. This is why I go in the morning. my gym also only has one squat rack and people are constantly using the squat rack for sit ups after work.

Anyways I'm off topic. It is completely fine to use the squat rack for OHP (assuming its the one that you can position the bar to be level with your chest).

Anyone that's pressing 300+ pounds over his/her head? I want to be there when some fool tries telling him/her that (s)he shouldn't be doing it in the squat rack.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I OHP in the squat rack all the time and simply let others work in if they need it too. Hasn't been an issue at my gym at all.