Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Pretty sure Waffle's post is sarcasm.

Just saying.

Pretty sure it didn't come across as such.

Just saying.

And once again we have a reason to lament not having a sarcasm font. But it is what it is.
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Pretty sure Waffle's post is sarcasm.

Just saying.

Even if it's sarcasm, it's incredibly inappropriate and fosters the rape culture that we are already living in. Same as the person who's teenage sister dressed like a boy to deliver papers. Boys get kidnapped and assaulted, too, not just girls.

Appropriateness is in the mind of the reader.

Every demographic that exists gets assaulted. It's common sense to do something to look like you're part of a demographic that gets assaulted less frequently. Same reason you're supposed to look alert and purposeful when you're out and about and not like your head is in the clouds and you're not sure what you're doing (i.e. like an easy target).
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like taking my walk in the morning. In the summer, it's nice because it isn't as hot. The streets are much quieter in the early morning than the afternoon, making my walk much more pleasant. And, I can get all sweaty and then just jump in the shower when I get home, and get ready for my day.

I tend not to worry too much about my safety. Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to do anything stupid, but I have little fear that I'm going to be assaulted. My bigger fear is that I'll roll an ankle 2 miles from my house and have to hobble home. In general, I just take my keys and cell phone with me. I have a blinky light on my backpack for when I'm walking on streets with no sidewalks.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My work schedule forces me to run after dark, most of the time.

When I can, I try to run a route that I know will be patrolled by the local police. I live in a small town, so I sort of know their patrol routes and try to match my running time and route to that. Or I'll run laps around the police department itself.

Once there was some shady-looking *kitten* happening near where I was running and a squad car pulled up to talk to me. The officer let me know he was going to just roll along behind me and keep an eye on me until I got to my front door (I learned later there was some kind of sting operation underway). Small towns rock that way :smile:

I take my ears and eyes, first of all. I don't put my earbuds in and tune out the world. I am *very* attentive to everything around my.

I take my dog. He's not vicious or particularly scary but he's alert and attentive, and I keep a close eye on his body language. If his ears perk up, I want to know why.

If it's after dark I also carry my handgun, in a shoulder rig.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    You just have to read more of Waffle..

And continue fostering the rape culture???

:huh:

No thanks.
    Well... there is a deliberate misinterpretation to sound cool and understanding in front of the ladies.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting you guys have mountain lions, bears, wolves and coyotes!!
    I'd be too scared to walk out my front door unless I lived in a city where these animals weren't frequent visitors :open_mouth:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends where you live.

Probably the most dangerous person I would run into before sunrise is probably nurses and truckdrivers leaving for work at 6am

But I also live near a cliff so if it was dark I wouldn't run near the cliff edge. I probably wouldn't do that in the day either.

Do you live in a bad neighbour hood? Are there any early morning running groups you could join? Carry a taser with you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    You just have to read more of Waffle..

And continue fostering the rape culture???

No thanks.
    Well... there is a deliberate misinterpretation to sound cool and understanding in front of the ladies.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'd be too scared to walk out my front door unless I lived in a city where these animals weren't frequent visitors :open_mouth:

I think the worst I have had at or near my house is wombats, echidnas, assorted spiders and red bellys.

What the hell do you do if a bear turns up in your backyard.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I think the worst I have had at or near my house is wombats, echidnas, assorted spiders and red bellys.

I know right!! :open_mouth:

• saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been going in the dark on the evenings here now that daylight savings has come to an end :(

I take the dog with my and alter my route slightly so I can take a more well lighted path. I'm more concerned about tripping an d injuring myself than being attacked. We don't get a lot of traffic and there are plenty of footpaths. I always take my phone
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Download the Road ID app. It notifies your contacts that you are going for a run and how long you'll be gone. It will also contact your emergency number if you remain unmoving for your whatever time you predetermine-I was hurt in the middle of a run and stopped to stretch for 10 mins-it texted my husband and gave him my location via GPS. While I didn't need help, he was able to find me. Also-make sure you are ultra aware of your surroundings and can hear people/cars approaching you.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I will only walk around where I live if I need to go somewhere, however I get to work early and walk around near work. Much nicer area, I think it's about knowing the area you're in.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    wwstewart wrote: »
    Buy a gun and get a concealed carry license. That might ease his mind a bit.

At least, that's what I'd do.
    Run with a gun? That's a bit nuts... You are the guy that makes husbands ask their wives to stay on treadmills...

I always run at 4:30 in the morning and have never had any bad encounters other than a few close encounters with cars... but then again, being old and ugly I have no natural predators to fear....

Not exactly "nuts" at all. My GF runs with her gun all the time (officer). Granted, it depends on your area. Where I live, getting a concealed carry license is extremely difficult. I really don't reccomend this unless you are comfortable with a weapon.

• waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you are and how isolated it is. I walk early am but I take my dog and my family is up and would realize if i didn't get back at the usual time. the dog would alert me to anyone else out there.

Yup. I will be sometimes running at 1am but I take a well-lit route and I live in a relatively safe area. But I'm also a guy so statistically I'm at less of a risk. Just be smart about when and where you run.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

So funny story: I had one show up in my basement a few years ago. Dogs were going crazy at the basement door, so I went to go investigate. Opened the door to the guest room downstairs and low and behold, it was ripping the bed apart looking for what I assume was food. I quickly went up stairs and called 911 (to have them call animal control). Well the dispatcher kept thinking I was talking about a human intruder (even though I clearly said bear multiple times). Cops were rather stunned when they saw the "intruder".
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I live in south west England so no bears to worry about here. Biggest animal I've ever had in my back garden was a hungry badger trying to get in the rubbish bins :D
    In the winter I often run early morning or evening when it was dark, but in my area you often see (often female) joggers running alone so it's rare that I ever go further than about 500m without passing another person. I run on main roads and in populated areas, which are lit by streetlights so I'm less likely to break an ankle missing the kerb in the gloom. I take a phone and someone else always knows I've gone out running and when I intend to return by, and I wear reflective stuff.
    In line with what other posters have said earlier about women being more likely to be attacked by someone they know, I kind of try to be sensible and use my head, but stubbornly I don't want my behaviour to be impacted by this fear of going out alone or around sunset/sunrise. Bad *kitten* can happen anywhere anytime, so you can never have a totally risk free life. Mind you I do live in a fairly safe suburban area now; when I lived in Lewisham (SE London) I was slightly less cavalier about running in the dark if I'm honest.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We have a running group, you can pick a group that runs at your speed and a lot of people do that. You may have one in your area. I bring my dog on early morning walks - he is a very reactive husky/shepherd mix and barks at people (he isn't dangerous, just very alert and vocal) it is nice to know when people are around in the morning or at night. I also carry a knife with me when I'm outside alone because I work strange shifts and am sometimes the only person in parking lots at night. I made sure I was comfortable opening it quite quickly at home and I have it with me now when I go for my walks or runs because it just clips on to my running shorts quite easily and makes me feel better (probably a false sense of security.)
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone