Terrified to hit my calories for the day

Options
13»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You could make the whole journey a lot easier for yourself if you relaxed and just got more perspective on the issue at hand. Of you wottu about such small things then its going to be stress and frustration all the way. Think of it as a lifestyle change. You shoul be eating at least 1200 calories a day, but if you are happy not iving yourself enough nutrition then thats up to you. People who have diets whicch are too aggressive tend to get frustrated, binge or quit. You need to look at your previous attempts and fiure out why this time will be different.

100lbs in 12 months I dont think is impossible, but i think 24 would be more realistic. You may lose quickly at first but it will slow down.

ps your letting numbers have way too much control
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It gets better with time!! Actually, Easter was my first holiday where I didn't have a mild panic attack! And it was also the first holiday I didn't have a gain :)

You'll hit your calorie "sweet spot". Your calorie goal will become your new normal! Just give your body and mind time to adjust. It's a calorie goal! Not necessarily a limit!
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as progressing your weight loss and making you more committed because eating so little could actually hinder your weight loss in the long run. You don't want too large of a deficit or you will most likely have trouble losing later on when your body gets used to the small amount of calories you've been giving it. Also, if you are still hungry- which I imagine you are with that few calories- you are even less likely to stick to your diet because no one wants to live life hungry every single day. Eat to your goal and I think you will feel better once you realize that you will still be losing weight eating that many calories. I understand the fear, but trust me- the weight will come off. Don't deprive yourself so much. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    100 pounds in a year is doomed for failure. Once I lost 25 pounds in three months, but I was a crazed woman determined to look good for my son's last minute wedding announcement, walking 20,000 steps a day, eating less than 1,000 calories a day, and doing the exerbike at least half an hour or more every night. It worked - I lost the 25 pounds - and then I gained 50. Then another ten for a total of 60 pounds. Now I've lost 23 but I'm doing it the right way - slow and easy.

two pounds a week times 52 weeks = 104 pounds …assuming she loses two pounds a week ..

likely yes, but probably a little too aggressive.

but way to be supportive and condemn OP to failure…

wow….

100 pounds in one year is not an unrealistic target. That's less than the two pounds a week "healthy weight loss" goal that's repeated over and over again on MFP, and it doesn't even take into account the fact that people with that much to lose can lose a lot faster at first.

"Doomed for failure"? Just because you couldn't do it doesn't mean someone else can't.

True, but for someone who has admitted to issues with anxiety and fear of failure, perhaps the people advocating for a slower, less aggressive goal, may be on to something... No?

that is why I said "likely"..

but I think it is ridiculous to tell someone they are "doomed to failure"
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling myself either that it's the end of the world if I don't make it 100lbs in a year.. I would LIKE to be there but I won't fall into depression if I don't.

It's just the calorie numbers that freak me out.

If MFP's 2 lbs/week goal is 1750 and you're eating 1100, you are doing your body a disservice. You will be losing more lean body mass than you want and may end up squishier as a result. You might lose your hair or have weaker nails. Eat 1750.

that is a little extreme statement to make, as she is only 100 calories short of 1200. The symptoms you mentioned are what happen to people that chronically under eat and are under 1000 calories a day ….

muscle mass loss yes, losing hair and weaker nails, come on ….

No, you come on. Someone with a 1750 calorie goal should not be eating 650 calories under that goal every day. That's 1650 calories under her maintenance. I do not think my post was extreme.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm not telling myself either that it's the end of the world if I don't make it 100lbs in a year.. I would LIKE to be there but I won't fall into depression if I don't.

It's just the calorie numbers that freak me out.

If MFP's 2 lbs/week goal is 1750 and you're eating 1100, you are doing your body a disservice. You will be losing more lean body mass than you want and may end up squishier as a result. You might lose your hair or have weaker nails. Eat 1750.

that is a little extreme statement to make, as she is only 100 calories short of 1200. The symptoms you mentioned are what happen to people that chronically under eat and are under 1000 calories a day ….

muscle mass loss yes, losing hair and weaker nails, come on ….

No, you come on. Someone with a 1750 calorie goal should not be eating 650 calories under that goal every day. That's 1650 calories under her maintenance. I do not think my post was extreme.

she is not going to lose hair eating 1100 calories a day …

I agree she should eat to 1750 ...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    100 pounds in a year is doomed for failure. Once I lost 25 pounds in three months, but I was a crazed woman determined to look good for my son's last minute wedding announcement, walking 20,000 steps a day, eating less than 1,000 calories a day, and doing the exerbike at least half an hour or more every night. It worked - I lost the 25 pounds - and then I gained 50. Then another ten for a total of 60 pounds. Now I've lost 23 but I'm doing it the right way - slow and easy.

two pounds a week times 52 weeks = 104 pounds …assuming she loses two pounds a week ..

wow….

25 pounds in three months is equivalent to 100 pounds in a year. Duh.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have recieved a lot of helpful information.
    I will honestly try my hardest to make it to my goal every day.
    It's hard when you've been taught your whole life by your overweight mother that if you don't eat you'll be pretty. It's kind of sick, I know.

I am taking everything said to heart and I appreciate the concern and comments!
  • ndj1979
    Options

wow….

25 pounds in three months is equivalent to 100 pounds in a year. Duh.

if you thought 100 pound was possible why did you doom OP to failure?

are you back tracking now?
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have recieved a lot of helpful information.
    I will honestly try my hardest to make it to my goal every day.
    It's hard when you've been taught your whole life by your overweight mother that if you don't eat you'll be pretty. It's kind of sick, I know.

I am taking everything said to heart and I appreciate the concern and comments!

feel free to mix in some treats that you like to get you close to your goal like ice cream, bagels , pasta, etc…

calorie dense foods are not unhealthy. what matters is the context of your overall diet, and tat you are hitting your macro/micro targets for the day.
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    petee5854 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I've begun getting terrified to hit my calorie allotment for the day.

I have 100lbs to lose, which I would like to do by this time next year.
    I'm tracking every single thing I put in my mouth, but I never seem to get to my calories.
    I will research all day what to cook for dinner to have the smallest amount of calories, I fear I may have changed my mindset from not caring to caring WAY too much. I shouldn't be terrified to eat.

Anyone else get these feelings?

It took me 2 years and 9 months to lose 121 pounds.

And it took ME over a year of walking and eating better just to lose 30+ pounds...Hang in there!!!

It's taken me 7 months to lose almost 50 and will probably take another 7 months to lose my last 20. Or maybe it will take longer. I don't care. I'm in a much better place than I was.

I agree...I'm in a better place, too. Doesn't matter to me how long it takes to get another 15-25 pounds off...slow and easy is the way.