14 day scarsdale plan starting Monday!!!

Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    p.s. I found the menu if anyone's interested. It tells you exactly what you can eat; the only thing you're allowed to add is carrots and celery. (My friend's mum turned orange from eating so many carrots!)

http://www.momswhothink.com/lose-weight-fast/scarsdale-diet.html
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Day 2 dinner... GET THOSE SPROUT DOWN YOU LOVE! You'll fart a stone off in minutes! Hahahahaha
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In to hear how a doc recommends the Scarsdale diet in 2015. Lol.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm always surprised when people say something like "I had excellent results" and "I've done it before"...together...when it comes to dieting.
    Yup. I read it daily with with virtually every diet. MFP included.

Yeah. That's the dirty little secret.

Scarsdale is not that far from PSMF - workable for those with lots to lose, but generally pure misery for those looking to lose the last few pounds. And go easy on the exercise, or you'll start burning up lean body mass even with the relatively high protein content.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    As I said in another thread....all I can think of when I see the words "Scarsdale Diet" is a megalomaniac emotional abuser getting shot by his victim/mistress.

Because, by the time the "doctor" was killed, his diet was already considered laughable.

Um....and this was prior to the Reagan Administration. So....COME ON.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Scarsdale is not that far from PSMF - workable for those with lots to lose, but generally pure misery for those looking to lose the last few pounds. And go easy on the exercise, or you'll start burning up lean body mass even with the relatively high protein content.

I just looked up PSMF (had never heard of it before) but it does look similar and this would explain why no substitutions are allowed on these types of diets:

"Eating foods that are not appropriate can stop ketosis, which not only means less weight reduction, but it can cause dangerous shifts in the body's fluid and electrolytes."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    As I said in another thread....all I can think of when I see the words "Scarsdale Diet" is a megalomaniac emotional abuser getting shot by his victim/mistress.

Because, by the time the "doctor" was killed, his diet was already considered laughable.

Um....and this was prior to the Reagan Administration. So....COME ON.

^Yup.

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    p.s. I found the menu if anyone's interested. It tells you exactly what you can eat; the only thing you're allowed to add is carrots and celery. (My friend's mum turned orange from eating so many carrots!)

As much of these foods as you'd like, like broiled fish, tuna salad, fruit salad and specified days????

cbcremczwmsm.gif

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What's so bad about counting calories? I've been doing it for almost three years, two of them at my goal weight. I'm happy, fairly fit, gainfully employed, not mentally ill, and healthy.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

As much of these foods as you'd like, like broiled fish, tuna salad, fruit salad and specified days????

cbcremczwmsm.gif

* on specified days
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Yeah, I couldn't stick with it (even though it was 30 years ago I still remember how ill I felt!) It gives you very bad breath too.

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Wow...I didn't think anyone used the Scarsdale Diet since Jean Harris shot Dr. Tarnower.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yeah, I couldn't stick with it (even though it was 30 years ago I still remember how ill I felt!) It gives you very bad breath too.

Isn't bad breath a symptom of a high protein diet?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    pastry doctor

Aha!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Isn't the Scarsdale diet a lead based diet?

Yes, you drink lead paint and then you puke your guts out until you lose 30 lbs in 14 days!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    The Scarsdale diet used to be "the thing" back in the 1970s/80s. My friend, who had been overweight all her life, did it for two months when we were teenagers and lost 40lbs and has maintained a healthy weight to this day. I tried it myself for a short time but it made me feel ill and I gained back all the weight I had lost within a few days.
    I use it as guidance to eat the menu they tell me plus milk and some other changes ive made to make it healthier.

I believe it is a ketogenic diet and is quite restrictive (I recall one evening's dinner was fried minced beef with cucumbers) and you are NOT allowed to make any substitutions if you want it to work, so you would not be allowed to have milk, for example, unless it is specified.

Having said that, my friend's example proves it can work, so good luck!

Well, if your friend did it successfully, it's good enough for us.

/sarcasm
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    What's so bad about counting calories? I've been doing it for almost three years, two of them at my goal weight. I'm happy, fairly fit, gainfully employed, not mentally ill, and healthy.

Ahhhhhh! But counting calories is wayyyyyyy too slow!!!!!

yzMPKt.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm always surprised when people say something like "I had excellent results" and "I've done it before"...together...when it comes to dieting.
    Yup. I read it daily with with virtually every diet. MFP included.

Yeah. That's the dirty little secret.

I don't see how you are saying it's anything like PSMF.

Similar calorie intake level, similar emphasis on protein intake, similar restrictions on exercise.