You aren't always going to get support

Options
15678911»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'd never heard of an "accountability buddy" before I started reading the forums here, and have never wanted or needed one.

Where do so many newbies get this term from?

I've seen it in MFP blogs. I'd never heard of it before either!
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend always says he's proud of me but will complain if I start talking about how I've managed to stay under 1600 calories for the day :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff -great post !

For years I thought needed support from someone, I don't even know who, anyone who could help me. People everywhere saying I need an "accountability buddy" . After 10 years of ww leaders, hospital nutritionists, and kind friends, I am still super fat. None of those people scare me enough into accountability. This last year has been and eye opener to me in that respect, I need no support other than my own. I have found exercise I love, a good way to eat, and a fear of my future if I don't take care of myself. What would be best is if my family could show a little respect and not criticize and complain about my choices, but I can't make them do that. So I am going to do my stuff anyway. I don't see their complaints as "unsupportive" anymore, I just see it as another obstacle ( a very challenging one) for me to overcome. I figure I'll be all the stronger when I'm done. So bring on the obstacles.
    As a trainer, this is a common story for me from many clients present and past. What makes the journey so much more gratifying is that when one reaches goal, they knew that it was absolutely them that still had to do everything to reach it. Keep it up!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • MaryWitherell
    MaryWitherell Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread, I guess I'm really lucky to have my SO willing to talk about it and offer support. He also asks daily how I'm feeling mentally and physically about my weight loss.

I do agree that your individual feelings should matter more than how friends, family, etc support you. REMEMBER!!! YOU MATTER!!!
  • bethinela
    bethinela Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have some support, at least superficially, but I am easily influenced into unhealthy habits. I live in the midwest, and healthy is not the predominate culture. I am trying but I regularly eat over my cals and don't get much exercise. I lose a few then gain them back at the next birthday holiday etc. I'm sad and losing ground.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,620 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    bethinela wrote: »
    I have some support, at least superficially, but I am easily influenced into unhealthy habits. I live in the midwest, and healthy is not the predominate culture. I am trying but I regularly eat over my cals and don't get much exercise. I lose a few then gain them back at the next birthday holiday etc. I'm sad and losing ground.

It's always important to know the why when it comes to your goals. Clarify to yourself exactly why you want to lose weight (this is personal and specific and can be whatever matters to you about losing weight... i.e. I want to lower my risk of cardiovascular disease, I want to hike without killing myself, I want to look better than Melissa... it really only matters for you.) Then make a goal that is specific, achievable, and measurable (i.e. I will lose 5 pounds by September 15th). Then specify how you're going to manage that (I'm going to eat x number of calories per day, I'm going to increase my vegetables and lean proteins, etc.)
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 755 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @bathinela

What helped for me was visualization. I couldn’t just want it, I had to be able to see it clearly in my mind exactly what it looked like, felt like, how it would improve my life and others around me (my energy levels suffered immensely). Once I saw that’s the me I wanted to be all the time I knew why I was working towards my goal each and every day. Persistence not perfection. The clearer you see it everyday the more real it feels. Do that and set up consistent, practical, and doable routines and you’re set.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Make post its of your goal and stick them to your mirror, fridge and sun visor in your car. Having tosee them constantly makes it easier to stick to your goal if you just follow the program you wrote on post its.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png