10 things I wish all new MFP members knew

Options

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I thought you were suppose to only eat back your exercise calories if your activity is set to sedentary?? If you set your activity to active and MFP gives you, for example a goal of 1950 calories per day doesnt that mean 1950 calories being active?? Not 1950 plus 400-500 more exercise calories???
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy. ~Agree~

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.) ~Don't agree, I did alternate day intermittent fasting to lose my weight and every other day I ate under 500 calories. Worked great for me~

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation. ~Agree, as long as whatever XYZ is doesn't trigger binge eating. If you have a trigger food don't fool yourself into thinking you can eat it in moderation~

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little. ~Nope, lost all my weight not doing anything more vigorous than getting the mail :) ~

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly. ~disagree-I'm a daily weigh-er and will always be. Kept me on track during weight loss and keeps me focused during maintenance~

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries. ~ Agree, which kind of negates the whole point of this thread....~

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone! ~could care less about other people's diaries and I don't track anything in mine. Its' all good~

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up. ~Some people will lose fast and some people will lose at a slower pace. Weight loss is relatively fast regardless of what plan you do (a few months to a couple years on average). The real challenge is finding your maintenance sweet spot and not gaining the weight back for 20+ years~
    `

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay. ~Agree~

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk. ~I think we have several goals, from weight loss, to weight gain, to maintenance, to fitness goals. But, I agree with your sentiment :) ~

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others. ~Agree~
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.
    I never do this and I had enough energy to run 6 miles today.

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)
    I eat only when I am hungry so if i don't reach 1200 calories I don't worry about it!! It is harder to rack up calories when you eat only healthy food!
  • sopatty
    sopatty Posts: 5
    Options
    I like that! :)
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.
    I thought the answer to everything is either sex, alcohol, or bacon... even better when they're all rolled up into one :love:
    You forgot chocolate.
    You're right. Chocolate covered bacon.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Good list, but the only one I disagree with is weighing everyday. Studies have shown that people who weigh everyday are less likely to gain weight than people who don't because they are constantly vigilant and mindful of their weight. But like everything it's not for everybody.

I'd like to see those studies.
  • sopatty
    sopatty Posts: 5
    Options
    I like when people post their opinions about their weight loss strategies, because what I do to maintain my weight is most likely completely different from someone else.
    Boards like this are good bc there's a good "fit" out there for everyone.
    If everyone could follow 10 sets of "perfect" rules, there wouldn't be so many fat people/weight loss tv shows/pills/books/potions/shots.
    But I like seeing someone's 10 rules for themselves, because something might be there that someone else didn't think about.
    It's all good. Opinions are just opinions! :)
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That's a serious sign of an eating disorder. Please let your friend know they need to seek help!

Hmm. Remind me.....

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

Exactly. He's going by what the doctor says. I don't agree with it, and he knows my feelings, but he's ok. He's an "all or nothing" kind of person and he's in this for major weight loss quickly. He has already lost 130 pounds and now trying to lose the last 20.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh in daily remember, the scale does NOT only weigh fat, it also weighs bones, clothes, stomach contents, organs,water, and waste. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnigt, nor did you lose it.

I weigh first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after pooping, naked, and with a scale that accounts for body fat. Check. Mate.

I weigh first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, right after pooping, naked, standing on my head after spitting into the sink for 20 minutes with a scale that tells me I'm still fat. Check. Mate.

I LOL'd
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nschanzn
    Nschanzn Posts: 1
    Options
    1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

How is this self-righteous?

Because it imparts a "holier than thou" attitude towards beginners. Not only that, but it is only partial information. I understand that it can be frustrated seeing the same posts and mistakes everyday by new people, but they are starting from the beginning, just like most of us, and are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of misinformation there is out there. Starting a "Things I wish new members knew" post doesn't particularly help anyone as much as it is chest puffing. The OP, for example, just two months ago was wondering if a slice of pizza would sabotage her weight loss attempts. She has since learned better.

Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.

Therein lies another issue. Those people looking for answers may be getting only half-truths. :frown:
    Completely agree! This list does not exist because there is no one-size-fits-all and MFP knows that. It seems that the OP may be tired of answering "dumb" questions from us "new folks" and BTW, what is the parameter for a person to be considered "new"? A week, a month, 3 months? THERE IS NO ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL answer to our problem. Every single one of us is different and yes, I no doubt have asked some very dumb answers, but fortunately I have yet to be judged by them. Maybe the OP should stay off the forums for a while if the new folks are getting to you. Just a suggestion . . .

And please have patience with us new ones in town. We might possibly be scared, fragile, confused, dealing with a million other things in our lives, afraid of failing, anxious, ill, etc. . . The point is we do not know anything about the new person and I strongly believe in KINDNESS, PATIENCE, AND ACCEPTANCE. We are all imperfect, and if we are joining a site like this, we are feeling especially sensitive to the things we want to change about ourselves.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh in daily remember, the scale does NOT only weigh fat, it also weighs bones, clothes, stomach contents, organs,water, and waste. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnigt, nor did you lose it.
    I weigh first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after pooping, naked, and with a scale that accounts for body fat. Check. Mate.

So do most knowledgeable people. They also use other trackers, such as measurements. The problem on MFP is that everything has to be spelled out endlessly.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Well we at least agree on point number 6. Good luck with all the rest.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP forums, and new folks-

This list was intended to share the biggest pitfalls I ran into when I started using MFP, and that new members also seem to struggle with. It is, like the title says, 10 things I wish all new MFP members knew- so they don't have to make the same mistakes as me figuring them out. Of course, they're not the whole story and they certainly aren't universal golden RULES. They're suggestions backed by my experience and the experiences of others here that I thought would be helpful to some people.

- FF
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I would like to add #11: If you have no existing blood sugar problems and most of your sugar comes from fruit, ignore (or remove) your sugar column! Just count those as regular carbohydrates.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

How is this self-righteous?

Because it imparts a "holier than thou" attitude towards beginners. Not only that, but it is only partial information. I understand that it can be frustrated seeing the same posts and mistakes everyday by new people, but they are starting from the beginning, just like most of us, and are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of misinformation there is out there. Starting a "Things I wish new members knew" post doesn't particularly help anyone as much as it is chest puffing. The OP, for example, just two months ago was wondering if a slice of pizza would sabotage her weight loss attempts. She has since learned better.

That's super creepy that you went onto my page and looked through my posting history. If that's supposed to be some kind of personal jab, I don't know why you bothered...? I have absolutely no shame in admitting that this list was based on things I've learned and wanted to share. That's the whole point of this thread!
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Then we agree. You can't add muscle at a calorie deficit. When you're adding muscle, you're at a calorie surplus.

That said, there's no way you put on 5lbs of muscle in six months. Men who specially train and eat for a year have a hard time putting on 6 lbs of muscle over the course of a year.

Actually it can... I lost 2lbs of fat and gained 2.5lbs of muscle on a deficit in 3 months. I know it's "newb gains" but the blanket statement "It can't be done" is not true under all circumstances.

P.s. my losses and gains are tracked by DEXA body composition scans. They aren't estimations.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Great post...I would only add that it is important to add lean tissue to your body as you lose weight to maintain your weight loss, so insure you eat enough protein every day and working out is critical to weight management and health.

You can lose a 100 lbs but if you can't keep it off what good was the experience.

Unfortunately, you can't add lean tissue (muscle) while at a calorie deficit but you can try to maintain what you already have. In doing that, adequate protein intake along with a weight training regimen is highly recommended.

Yes, you can. I added lean body tissue at a deficit. Most people will who have been used to sitting all the time and start running or walking or lifting. Beginner's gift: embrace it! Measure monthly lean areas and fatty areas so that you know what is happening with your diet and regimen and adjust accordingly.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually eat less than 1200 calories a day.
    On the average about 1120 calories.
    Sometimes more.

I get very minimal exercise.
    I have degenerative arthritis, in addition torn meniscus in both knees.
    Recently developed tendonitis in both feet, so my walking is limited.

So far I have lost 11 pounds.
  • fishgirl54
    Options

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.