Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    [

Okay, but what if their calorie count for the day is 3600?

Well the percentages would still be in proportion to one another, but also I wouldn't consider someone on 3600 calories to be "calorie restricted". We're talking about the best use of calories on a calorie restricted diet.

How about 3300 then since that is my cutting cals? The question is specifically, how is that Snicker's bar unhealthy to me when I am cutting on 3300 calories when all of my other nutritional goals/vitamins/minerals were met in the first 2500 calories?

Quoting myself hoping for an answer from Chrysalid...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

However, it still doesn't change the fact that you were wrong in saying that the percentages would be the same.

It still doesn't change the fact that you're not answering the question.

I said the percentages would be IN THE SAME PROPORTION TO ONE ANOTHER. Not "the same".

Do you really, really want me to do the calculations for you?
    I really, really want you to answer my question.

Here you go. Your macros are significantly different than the default MFP ones but even so the cost calorie wise of this item does not equate to the nutirional benefits.
    Calories 13%
    Carbs 18%
    Fat 34%
    Protein 2%

Now, if your macros were set up so that you were on a low protein, high sugar, low fibre diet candy would be the perfect food for you!

Could you explain this, because it makes no sense to me.

The only nutrients that you are looking at are the macros, and all you've showed is that the Snickers contributes little protein and slightly more carbs and lots of fat when looked at as a percentage of the total goals. But what does that mean? Why does it supposedly count against the Snickers bar?

Let's assume I eat one 80 calorie Snickers. For me, the numbers are:

Calories: 4.3%
    Carbs: 9.3%
    Fat: 16%
    Protein: 2.2%

So is that supposed to be bad because it contributes little of my protein needs? What if I told you that my protein is always well over what I need (given my weight) and so I don't stress about it--does that matter? What if my fat were usually on the low side (it's not, but I also have no great desire to eat the Snickers and might be more likely to do so in a day where my fat were low, as I find fat satiating, and back when I ate Snickers I always found it a candy bar that was filling beyond most, and that makes some logical sense.

Beyond that, however, why is not having a perfectly proportional contribution of macros supposed to be bad. Based on your own (odd) analysis, olive oil and a 150 gram apple (pretty small, IME) score as poorly or worse than the Snickers:

Olive oil (tbsp.)
    Calories: 6.4%
    Carbs: 0
    Fat: 22.6% (uh, oh, guess the olive oil is terrible, then!)
    Protein: 0

Apple (150 grams)
    Calories: 4.2%
    Carbs: 11.4% (in this carb-phobic world, oh, dear! that's disproportionate!)
    Fat: 0
    Protein: 0

Damn you, I wanted to point that out.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Just once I'd like one of these people to come back and say, "You know, I thought about it, you guys make valid points, I can see how a small treat over the course of a nutritionally sound day would be okay." Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    [

Okay, but what if their calorie count for the day is 3600?

Well the percentages would still be in proportion to one another, but also I wouldn't consider someone on 3600 calories to be "calorie restricted". We're talking about the best use of calories on a calorie restricted diet.

How about 3300 then since that is my cutting cals? The question is specifically, how is that Snicker's bar unhealthy to me when I am cutting on 3300 calories when all of my other nutritional goals/vitamins/minerals were met in the first 2500 calories?

Quoting myself hoping for an answer from Chrysalid...

Something tells me her vague statement about people with lots of calories vs. people with few calories is the best you're going to get.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Just once I'd like one of these people to come back and say, "You know, I thought about it, you guys make valid points, I can see how a small treat over the course of a nutritionally sound day would be okay." Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

That would be a miracle!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I don't know if this fits, but I gave some advice in a protein powder thread a year or so ago. Someone else came in and told me my info was incorrect, and gave the correct info. I checked it out and found out he was right. I thanked him for teaching me something.

I think I MFP'd wrong.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Today the components of my breakfast I think, would do a hipster proud. 100% natural probiotic yogurt, chia, pumpkin, walnuts, blueberries, and puffed millet. Pumpernickel and "no sugar, no salt added" peanut butter. It was delish. (Of course, there's a hipster born every minute that could "improve" on this. I am obviously unconcerned about the intimate daily molestation of dairy cows, and hydrogenation...please? Just because I don't like lumpy peanut butter?)

For morning snack, an all-white Betty Crocker cupcake with low-fat dream whip.

But in context of the overall diet.....

I like pumpkin with cottage cheese and pumpkin pie spice and extra cinnamon. It tastes like pumpkin cheesecake to me. I have it for breakfast a lot.

SO worth wading through this nightmare thread for this little gem of an idea. :) Picked up a tub of cottage cheese the other day to bolster my protein but I'm already getting bored with it.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I don't know if this fits, but I gave some advice in a protein powder thread a year or so ago. Someone else came in and told me my info was incorrect, and gave the correct info. I checked it out and found out he was right. I thanked him for teaching me something.

I think I MFP'd wrong.

You totally MFP'd wrong!! Whatever your stance, that my friend, should be the hill you die on. If people come at you with "facts" or provide you with the "correct information" you need to dismiss it and then point in the other direction and yell "SQUIRREL!" THAT is how it's done.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I think that's an impossible dream because of the psychology behind why they think the way they do.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Today the components of my breakfast I think, would do a hipster proud. 100% natural probiotic yogurt, chia, pumpkin, walnuts, blueberries, and puffed millet. Pumpernickel and "no sugar, no salt added" peanut butter. It was delish. (Of course, there's a hipster born every minute that could "improve" on this. I am obviously unconcerned about the intimate daily molestation of dairy cows, and hydrogenation...please? Just because I don't like lumpy peanut butter?)

That is VERY hipster.

I like pumpkin with cottage cheese and pumpkin pie spice and extra cinnamon. It tastes like pumpkin cheesecake to me. I have it for breakfast a lot.

If we ask really nicely, would you share the proportions of your pumpkin cottage cheese goodness? =)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

That is VERY hipster.

If we ask really nicely, would you share the proportions of your pumpkin cottage cheese goodness? =)

I eat 169g of cottage cheese and 91g of pumpkin, so whatever that works out to be. I sort of eyeball the spices, but I do log them. I probably overlog the amount. I also add liquid Splenda. You can sweeten it or not as you'd like.

I should add that I've had this with both fat free and 4% cottage cheese. It is sooooooo much better with full fat cottage cheese. It's also more filling, even though I eat less of the full fat cottage cheese than I did of the fat free.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options

I think that's an impossible dream because of the psychology behind why they think the way they do.

business-commerce-impossible_dream-selling-money-dream-hope-cwln107_low.jpg

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My god this has been entertaining.

Thank you all.

I am off to go back 100+ cookies.

(oh noes the sugar will kill us all!!!!!)

~Lyssa
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if we ever found out who the sweet potatoes were talking to in all those conversations mentioned like 8 pages back...
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

That is VERY hipster.

Thanks for the cottage cheese idea, I've been trying to eat more of it because I usually fall woefully short on protein. Oh, and if I followed the gist of this thread I like Snickers bars and fruit, in my opinion only liver is the debbil!
  • maidentl
    Options
    I'm thinking of chopping up some Snickers to stir into cottage cheese. :wink:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    rosehips60 wrote: »

That is VERY hipster.

Thanks for the cottage cheese idea, I've been trying to eat more of it because I usually fall woefully short on protein. Oh, and if I followed the gist of this thread I like Snickers bars and fruit, in my opinion only liver is the debbil!

Liver traumatized me.

When I was in high school, when we got to the part in our science lab where we were studying acids, for some reason lost to the fog of 37 years, my teacher had a few students up in front demonstrating the reaction of a few different solids and acid. I don't remember which acid it was. I remember none of the other solids.

I just remember the liver.

How it sort of ... dripped... down.... from the tongs that were going to place it into the test tube.

And the horrible color that no thing should ever be of the foam/scum that came up as the reaction started.

And the smell. Oh Bob, the smell.

I remember that smell quite clearly. 37 years later. Hideous.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

That Snickers bar will suck all the nutrition out of the cottage cheese.

Sorry.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

That is VERY hipster.

I eat 169g of cottage cheese and 91g of pumpkin, so whatever that works out to be. I sort of eyeball the spices, but I do log them. I probably overlog the amount. I also add liquid Splenda. You can sweeten it or not as you'd like.

I should add that I've had this with both fat free and 4% cottage cheese. It is sooooooo much better with full fat cottage cheese. It's also more filling, even though I eat less of the full fat cottage cheese than I did of the fat free.

Thank you!

• maidentl
    Options

That Snickers bar will suck all the nutrition out of the cottage cheese.

Sorry.

I had peanut M&M's at the ball game tonight. I've ruined my whole day.