Questions about sugar

Options

Replies

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, go back and read the thread. I'm not going to repeat myself just so it's convenient for you.

Fair enough.

Do away with the bitchy comments. Internet tough guys don't get cool points.
    Thanks.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tell me why "common sense" says this dessert is a problem:

84mcbyq8oy07.png

Let's suppose someone is on a 1230 calorie diet according to the default MFP nutrition goals:
    So from this one item, towards their recommended daily amount, they are getting:
    21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!
    Only 6% of their protein...

So, the calorie "cost" (21%) is not in line with the other "costs" so therefore it's common sense to choose something else.

He's not on 1230 calories. Why did you change the question?

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Let's suppose someone is on a 1230 calorie diet according to the default MFP nutrition goals:
    So from this one item, towards their recommended daily amount, they are getting:
    21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

So, the calorie "cost" (21%) is not in line with the other "costs" so therefore it's common sense to choose something else.

The screenshot clearly shows that the person posting this isn't on 1,230 calories. They are on 1,980.

Well, the numbers I quoted are percentages, so they would rise or fall in the same proportion to one another (grade six math).

• PeachyCarol
    Options

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

The screenshot clearly shows that the person posting this isn't on 1,230 calories. They are on 1,980.

Well, the numbers I quoted are percentages, so they would rise or fall in the same proportion to one another (grade six math).

He asked you what's wrong with HIM eating that Snickers bar.

What point are you trying to make? Who's eating 1230 calories?

• Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    [

Okay, but what if their calorie count for the day is 3600?

Well the percentages would still be in proportion to one another, but also I wouldn't consider someone on 3600 calories to be "calorie restricted". We're talking about the best use of calories on a calorie restricted diet.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

You may be surprised to learn that 33 grams of carbs is a different percentage of a 1230 calorie diet than of a 1980 calorie diet. Perhaps your fundamental misunderstanding of 6th grade math is at the root of your problem.

Why don't you answer the actual question asked?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

84mcbyq8oy07.png

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

No let's not "suppose" so you can change the rules. This person is not on 1200 calories. The person who IS on 1200 stated she would eat a fun size bar that comes in at 80 calories. You don't get to pull the full size bar from the higher calorie person and insert it into the smaller calorie day to make your argument. Try again.

You want me to work out the percentages for a different number of calories? The percentages will still be in the same proportion to one another.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

84mcbyq8oy07.png

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

No let's not "suppose" so you can change the rules. This person is not on 1200 calories. The person who IS on 1200 stated she would eat a fun size bar that comes in at 80 calories. You don't get to pull the full size bar from the higher calorie person and insert it into the smaller calorie day to make your argument. Try again.

Aw, I wanted to get her to admit that's what she was doing and catch her at not actually reading the thread. :D

• DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options

84mcbyq8oy07.png

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

You want me to work out the percentages for a different number of calories? The percentages will still be in the same proportion to one another.
    No. She, and everyone else, wants you to answer the specific question about the specific Snickers bar in the specific macro allocation of the specific diet about which you were asked.

In case you don't get it, the numbers at the very bottom of the screen are my macro and calorie targets and the lighter numbers just above them are my actual numbers.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's cute that you find comments b***** just because it forces you to read and learn something in order to keep up with the conversation. See you next time when you pop in with random statements.

Oh hey, thanks. I really do try.

I'll be sure to remember this and read the thread first.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    [

Well the percentages would still be in proportion to one another, but also I wouldn't consider someone on 3600 calories to be "calorie restricted". We're talking about the best use of calories on a calorie restricted diet.

Actually, no they wouldn't. I only did the calculation on calories, but the full sized Snickers bar is 11% of Deguello's calories. The fun-sized Snickers bar would only be 6% of 1200 calories for me.

AND you'd have to redo your calculations to show the breakdown to what the Snickers bar represented for Deguello, not me.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

84mcbyq8oy07.png

21% of their calories!
    42% of their carbs!
    29% of their fat!

The issue isn't how the allocations of macros and calories relate to each other on the piece of food. The issue is how those allocations fit into a complete day's worth of macros and calories.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Her statement was so vague that three of us took it to mean 3 different things. Too funny.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'll take the Snickers that's being bandied about.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that in the world where the sugar-bashing people live everything is full size. If you say you ate a Snickers bar it was probably the king size Snickers, if you had ice cream you must have had the whole pint.

At the end of the day it's their own inability to eat certain foods in moderation. If you were to say "I choose not to eat a Snickers bar (fun, regular, king) because once I have one I have a hard time stopping myself from eating another one" is different than "I choose not to eat a Snickers bar because Snickers are bad for you and if you choose to eat one then you have zero concern for your health". It's no longer a matter of semantics, they are two completely different statements.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    [

How about 3300 then since that is my cutting cals? The question is specifically, how is that Snicker's bar unhealthy to me when I am cutting on 3300 calories when all of my other nutritional goals/vitamins/minerals were met in the first 2500 calories?

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'll take the Snickers that's being bandied about.

It's not even my favorite candy bar but I kinda want one now. :laugh: