The 40-Something Club

Replies

• Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    how's everyone this morning?? I have a confession to make.....I haven't worked out in a week. ugh!!! I need help!
  • browndes
    browndes Posts: 6 Member
    pinksalt4 wrote: »
    Just turned 43 (gulp) and working on getting back in shape (like to lose 20ish pounds). It's not easy but I know it'll be worth it when it's time to put my bathing suit on again this summer. Making sure I keep my diary up to date definitely keeps me honest...
    Bathing suit? Ughhhh I can't even imagine that! 3 years later and I'm still not even half way to my 60lb loss goal;(
  • browndes
    43 here, I have 31 lbs to go.. anyone can add me!

What was your total goal?
  • browndes
    MrsFierce wrote: »
    I am 43 and have about 43lbs to lose! Hoping to get motivation from some other 40 somethings to kick this into gear.

Anyone?

I'm 40 something and looking to lose poundage and gain energy and vitality to pursue outdoor adventures

How's that going for you??
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    I'm continuing doing my normal stuff, eating to deficit and exercising but am now officially in a long term plateau (4 months) and I'm getting frustrated. I'm blaming hormones
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    how's everyone this morning?? I have a confession to make.....I haven't worked out in a week. ugh!!! I need help!
    What's holding you back? Motivation?
  • browndes
    I'm continuing doing my normal stuff, eating to deficit and exercising but am now officially in a long term plateau (4 months) and I'm getting frustrated. I'm blaming hormones

Have you had any other issues? Hormones may be something I can look into also (@45), but I was sent into a tailspin of anemia and my gall bladder tore and had to be removed and the acid reflux is awful! I'm at 3 years now and only 30 of my 60 is gone. Seems problem after problem here ;(
  • browndes
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    I'm 47. I lost 37lb and hit my goal at age 45...it's totally doable! Since then I very slowly put some back on. I'm back to calorie counting now. It really works if you just keep a sensible target (1lb a week for me) eat to your goal, keep active and eat back your exercise calories. Be careful not to over estimate calories burned (my fitbit seems to keep me on track) or underestimate calories consumed.
    I agree with you on not relying on the Fitbit! Good point
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Today, it's not motivation I'm lacking. It's energy. I've had a sick kid for the last 3.5 days and am so tired that I'm nauseous. I'm wondering if I should just skip today's workout. I feel so guilty when I miss a workout, though. :(
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Today, it's not motivation I'm lacking. It's energy. I've had a sick kid for the last 3.5 days and am so tired that I'm nauseous. I'm wondering if I should just skip today's workout. I feel so guilty when I miss a workout, though. :(

That's always a tough question. You feel guilty if you don't work out, but if you do work out, will you just wear yourself down even more, increasing the chances that you will then get sick? I'd skip the workout and get some rest. There's always tomorrow or even other days down the road.
  • mrsbutla
    mrsbutla Posts: 18 Member
    I am 44 and would love to be able to lose 30lbs . No set goal time as I don't want to put too much pressure as I'll end up disappointed and turn to cake for solace ! But something switched in my head this week ... It'll be no more start on Mondays ... I am sticking this time to it. Never realised the potential of this app. I truly believe if I use this daily and see for myself how great I'm doing I will be successful. I know I can do this . I lost almost 10 stone over a 4 year period and kept it off for 3 years but this past year it is slowly creeping on . Many factors causing it but I don't like it or how it makes me feel. I've lost my sparkle so I'm out to grab it back !!!
    Please add me as seeing you all do well will inspire me too - Nicola
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    I'm 40, hoping to lose 15-20lbs and just started New Rules of lifting for women last week, love lifting heavy and I eat about 1600 calories a day, add me if you have things in common :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    I'm 40. Have lost 55 lbs, another 30ish to go. Will re-evaluate to see if I need to lose more once I reach that point. Am a working mom, with 3 kids, so pretty busy most of the time, it takes a bit of juggling to fit in gym or workout time. Feel free to add me.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    42 here lost 35 pounds about 9 years ago by lifting heavy and counting macros. Had back surgery in Nov and gained 8 pounds of pure fat. Feeling good and getting back in the gym. Feel free to add me.
  • Erinleigh13

yes :( I am a single mom and work full time and I am allowing myself to believe my own hype of not having time lol
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited April 2015

yes :( I am a single mom and work full time and I am allowing myself to believe my own hype of not having time lol

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to make time. No one else is going to force you to work out or eat well. You need to do it yourself (and your kids). Try fitting in workout time over your lunch break, or after everyone else is in bed.
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member

I can imagine how tough it would be, but you can do it. If you're here you are at least on the right track!!
  • Erinleigh13
    whatatime wrote: »

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to make time. No one else is going to force you to work out or eat well. You need to do it yourself (and your kids). Try fitting in workout time over your lunch break, or after everyone else is in bed.

Oh I know...that's why I said I was allowing myself to believe my own hype! haha. I know it's possible to make at least a 30 minute window. I have just been lazy and unmotivated the last week and trying to make myself feel better by saying I don't have time (which I know isn't true)....vicious cycle of arguing with myself lol
  • sunnydee216
    sunnydee216 Posts: 110 Member
    47 but not feeling it. :) I have lost 22 lbs and have 60+ to go.
  • mrsbutla
    mrsbutla Posts: 18 Member
    whatatime wrote: »

Oh I know...that's why I said I was allowing myself to believe my own hype! haha. I know it's possible to make at least a 30 minute window. I have just been lazy and unmotivated the last week and trying to make myself feel better by saying I don't have time (which I know isn't true)....vicious cycle of arguing with myself lol

Maybe buy yourself a kettle bell or aerobic step .. Plenty of free workouts on YouTube . Leave the housework or dishes. . They can wait 30 minutes . You don't need fancy equipment or workout videos . I know it's easier said than done but even if it's once or twice a week it's a start