The 40-Something Club

Options

Replies

• Groovychicky2014
    Groovychicky2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to find this. I am 42, almost 43. I have been trying to lose 20 pounds since my third child was born 11 years ago...haha. I just can't seem to stay focused or motivated around my "PMS" time of the month. I am a comfort eater and I just love food. I am hoping to find a good network of support here.
  • Mikediet1
    Mikediet1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and have about 43lbs to lose! Hoping to get motivation from some other 40 somethings to kick this into gear.

Anyone?
    Interesting, let's lose our age
  • Mikediet1
    Mikediet1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and need to loose about 20 pounds. Guess I'm the old lady in here? If I can do it then you youngsters can! :)

Age is just a number. Won't tell mine. Ha
  • jerrihopfer
    jerrihopfer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to find this. I am 42, almost 43. I have been trying to lose 20 pounds since my third child was born 11 years ago...haha. I just can't seem to stay focused or motivated around my "PMS" time of the month. I am a comfort eater and I just love food. I am hoping to find a good network of support here.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    browndes wrote: »
    I'm continuing doing my normal stuff, eating to deficit and exercising but am now officially in a long term plateau (4 months) and I'm getting frustrated. I'm blaming hormones

Have you had any other issues? Hormones may be something I can look into also (@45), but I was sent into a tailspin of anemia and my gall bladder tore and had to be removed and the acid reflux is awful! I'm at 3 years now and only 30 of my 60 is gone. Seems problem after problem here ;(

Possibly slightly hypothyroid, I only have half a thyroid and readings are very borderline. Or perimeno, but am on pill so not sure. Sympathies on the reflux (I have it since my pregnancy 10 years ago) and am on meds for it. Damn getting older. It sucks.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So many lovely ladies
  • althom2
    althom2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    48 years old here. I started Jan 9th to lose 100 lbs. and signed up here a few weeks later. I'm down 28 lbs. so far and beyond surprised and thrilled with myself for logging in 111 days in a row, eating right and making exercise a part of my daily life. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    mrsbutla wrote: »
    whatatime wrote: »
    how's everyone this morning?? I have a confession to make.....I haven't worked out in a week. ugh!!! I need help!
    What's holding you back? Motivation?

yes :( I am a single mom and work full time and I am allowing myself to believe my own hype of not having time lol

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to make time. No one else is going to force you to work out or eat well. You need to do it yourself (and your kids). Try fitting in workout time over your lunch break, or after everyone else is in bed.

Oh I know...that's why I said I was allowing myself to believe my own hype! haha. I know it's possible to make at least a 30 minute window. I have just been lazy and unmotivated the last week and trying to make myself feel better by saying I don't have time (which I know isn't true)....vicious cycle of arguing with myself lol

Maybe buy yourself a kettle bell or aerobic step .. Plenty of free workouts on YouTube . Leave the housework or dishes. . They can wait 30 minutes . You don't need fancy equipment or workout videos . I know it's easier said than done but even if it's once or twice a week it's a start

yes, you're right! I have a kettle bell that I am going to dig out as soon as I get home today. THank you!
  • Erinleigh13
    Options
    Mikediet1 wrote: »
    I am 43 and have about 43lbs to lose! Hoping to get motivation from some other 40 somethings to kick this into gear.

Anyone?
    Interesting, let's lose our age

I did this thread based on age because everything else I was seeing was 20 year olds with the metabolism of an infant! haha....wanted to get people together who may be having same issue with metabolism slowing down, menopause (obviously not for you! haha) etc.
  • inkyonne
    inkyonne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    48 and it would be great to take off 48 ...
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I did this thread based on age because everything else I was seeing was 20 year olds with the metabolism of an infant! haha....wanted to get people together who may be having same issue with metabolism slowing down, menopause (obviously not for you! haha) etc.

Yep!!! I can definitely tell my metabolism is starting to slow down. It really stinks!! lol
  • sunnydee216
    sunnydee216 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    althom2 wrote: »
    48 years old here. I started Jan 9th to lose 100 lbs. and signed up here a few weeks later. I'm down 28 lbs. so far and beyond surprised and thrilled with myself for logging in 111 days in a row, eating right and making exercise a part of my daily life. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Congrats! 111 days!
    I was on a roll with that and went on vacation and missed a day. I was pissed off at myself for getting caught up and not logging. So back to the drawing board with that. The good bad and ugly.
  • sunnydee216
    sunnydee216 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    how's everyone this morning?? I have a confession to make.....I haven't worked out in a week. ugh!!! I need help!

yes :( I am a single mom and work full time and I am allowing myself to believe my own hype of not having time lol

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to make time. No one else is going to force you to work out or eat well. You need to do it yourself (and your kids). Try fitting in workout time over your lunch break, or after everyone else is in bed.

Oh I know...that's why I said I was allowing myself to believe my own hype! haha. I know it's possible to make at least a 30 minute window. I have just been lazy and unmotivated the last week and trying to make myself feel better by saying I don't have time (which I know isn't true)....vicious cycle of arguing with myself lol

Maybe buy yourself a kettle bell or aerobic step .. Plenty of free workouts on YouTube . Leave the housework or dishes. . They can wait 30 minutes . You don't need fancy equipment or workout videos . I know it's easier said than done but even if it's once or twice a week it's a start

yes, you're right! I have a kettle bell that I am going to dig out as soon as I get home today. THank you!

Planks are a great full body exercise. There are different variations and also good ol pushups which I hate. haa haa
  • MaryG1974
    MaryG1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im 40 with about 60lbs to lose I started MFP April of this year and so far Im down 9 lbs. Its a slow process but seems to be working, I have my good and bad days but Im ready for the challenge and the change.
  • Erinleigh13
    Options

Planks are a great full body exercise. There are different variations and also good ol pushups which I hate. haa haa

I have actually learned to like planks! Getting better and better at them!
  • Erinleigh13
    Options
    MaryG1974 wrote: »
    Im 40 with about 60lbs to lose I started MFP April of this year and so far Im down 9 lbs. Its a slow process but seems to be working, I have my good and bad days but Im ready for the challenge and the change.

If you just started this month and you're already down 9lbs I would say you're doing a great job! keep it up!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; 43 yo guy here. I was disgusted with myself mid-January when I saw the scale reading 286#; no way I thought I had ever gotten that heavy. After 3.5 months, I'm down 30# and plan to keep this new "lifestyle" for the forseeable future. I'm not a gym rat, but instead count every calorie w/MFP, and treated myself to a Fitbit Charge a month ago. I wish you all well in your journey, and feel free to friend me b/c I have no friends yet!
  • alnassiry72
    alnassiry72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 42 and it's my first time here. I need to lose about 50lbs! I am at my heaviest. Even when I was pregnant with twins I was lighter
  • willbehot2015
    willbehot2015 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll be 45 in about 6 weeks. I've lost 40 pounds since mid-November and have about about 75 more to go. I hurt myself over a month ago and cannot exercise until at least the end of May (I start physical therapy then so I'll learn more what I can and can't do at that time). I'm trying to simply not give back the progress on the 40 I lost already, that is my current goal.

Feel free to add me!
  • MaryG1974
    MaryG1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MaryG1974 wrote: »

If you just started this month and you're already down 9lbs I would say you're doing a great job! keep it up!

Thank you 1 lb at a time is all we can do