I wanna see people brag about their lifts

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    www.strstd.com for those you haven't actually tested 1RM's

:flowerforyou:

we had a thread recently where this was discussed. calculators are used for setting up programs...not for reporting 1RM. you can only use 1RM that you actually lifted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

While everyone is here, I have a question. When I deadlift, it feels like the biggest factor in my lift is my lower back. Is this normal? Is it because it is the weakest component?

At the risk of a wishy washy answer- it can be, but it can also be a form issue.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

While everyone is here, I have a question. When I deadlift, it feels like the biggest factor in my lift is my lower back. Is this normal? Is it because it is the weakest component?

At the risk of a wishy washy answer- it can be, but it can also be a form issue.

Agreed.

One reason why I prefer sumo. Plus I'm better at it :laugh:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

Unless someone has had previous back issues it generally is going to be a form issue. More often than not it means the person is not "dragging" the bare up their legs and pushing forward with their hips. If a person has too much space between the bar and their shins on the way up it puts more pressure on the lower back.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I am partially disabled, so unable to squat. lunge or deadlift due to nerve damage in my legs which affects my balanced. I'm middle aged to boot.

bench press: 114
    shoulder press: 68
    lat pull down: 99
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

Unless someone has had previous back issues it generally is going to be a form issue. More often than not it means the person is not "dragging" the bare up their legs and pushing forward with their hips. If a person has too much space between the bar and their shins on the way up it puts more pressure on the lower back.

I was making the mistake of having the bar too far out, but have since corrected it. I also was told that I wasnt locking out with my hips properly, which I corrected yesterday.

Should I sort of be leaning backwards and driving up rather than driving straight up?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

I was making the mistake of having the bar too far out, but have since corrected it. I also was told that I wasnt locking out with my hips properly, which I corrected yesterday.

Should I sort of be leaning backwards and driving up rather than driving straight up?

No, if you have proper space between bar and legs and are locking out your hips that all you need to do. If you overextend the opposite way (by leaning too far backward) you can actualy hurt the lower back. If your back is straight and your hips are locked out then you've completed the rep. Also, I have caught newbies doing jerky lifts which another bad habit that adds stress. Ideally it would be a smooth motion.

I've also heard that taller lifters can have more of an issue with lower back pain with deads but I'm 5'6" so I don't even bend over that much with 45's on to grip the bar..lol.
  • whierd
    Options
    I am not getting any pain, just feel the tension more there than in other body parts, excluding my grip.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Haven't really tested 1RM, but PR's are currently:

Bench 1x5@ 125
    OHP 5x5 @ 80
    Squat 1x5 @ 150
    Dead 1x5 @ 200

(I'm 5'2" and @ 130 lb body weight)

Squat is my weak lift since I have to be careful with a hip flexor problem, but I can get near ATG.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tested 1RMs; Deadlift 440 - Squat 330 - Bench (aka MyLittleGirlLift) 220.

Hopefully these will move up some (at last) in a couple of months time when I re-test.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Pointless bragging? Not sure if I would call it pointless but unimpressive to some but impressive to me! This is a direct copy and paste from my exercise diary:

3 sets, 15 reps. Bent Over Dumbbell Rolls 10 lbs each arm; Lat Pulldown 50 lbs; Curls w/bar 40lbs; Bench Press 40 lbs & Chest Fly 10 lbs each arm; & Leg Extensions 35 lbs.

That is what I currently do. I do add more weight when I feel like it is too easy. On my non lifting days I run. On my non running days, I lift. LOL.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am not getting any pain, just feel the tension more there than in other body parts, excluding my grip.

You want to be pulling back not up. Shoulder blades behind the bar at setup. In your setup position, if you let go of the bar you should fall backwards.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There is something unsavory going on in my lower back right now, y'all are making me feel very weak. But currently:

deadlift: 155
    squat: 165

Not benching right now (only way to do this at my gym is in the smith machine) but lat pull down: 90.

Have not tested 1RMs.
  • whierd
    Options

You want to be pulling back not up. Shoulder blades behind the bar at setup. In your setup position, if you let go of the bar you should fall backwards.

This may be exactly what I am doing wrong. Thanks!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I really have nothing impressive to brag about to anyone really....i dont lift very heavy yet...but i am getting better on my leg presses....i am up to 180 lbs so thats good for me being that i was only doing 70 lbs a month ago.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    not sure of my actual 1RM but on my standard 6-3-2-1 my last lift usually goes like this
    bench-225
    squat-405
    deadlift-405

im 5'9" 285lbs and dropping......

on a side note, I know these are not my 1RM, these are probably in my 75% range and for fun, I rep 405 on hipsled in sets of 30 and alternate 10 calf raises between the 30's without setting the weight down, and usually 3-4 sets each without letting the weight down.
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Squat 135 for reps
    Deadlift 150 before my grip strength gives out
    Bench is around 90-100, super awful.

Just started lifting for 'real' because I can go to the gym with my buddy. I haven't tried my 1-2 rep maximums yet or anything but it sure helps with the jiu jitsu.
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't powerlift and don't max out...but every year when the NFL combine rolls around I like to test myself to see where I am. I turn 40 this year and I think I'm still doing good enough to be a potential undrafted free agent RB :)

225 lbs Bench: 18 times
    Vertical: 29"
    Broad Jump: 119"
    40-yd dash: 4.76 seconds

Nice!!! I was gonna post my vert and such also but didn't think anyone here would really care haha...

I'm about 5'11, 215 pounds

Standing vert: ~34".... 36 or 37 with a run up
    40-yd: 4.6ish
    225 reps: roughly 25 or 26

And again my maxes...
    BENCH - 405
    SQUAT - 520
    DEADLIFT - 550

I play semi-pro ball right now.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I squatted 390 lbs when I was 15 and leg pressed 300lbs with one leg also when I was 15. That was the last time I ever maxed out out on weights now am 22 I don't know how much I can do.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    PB of 67.5kg (149 pounds) on leg press machine. Not that impressive, But I could only do 49kg at best when I started!