Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Hmm as far as I know, mine is open. At least I know my boyfriend can see it because he will copy meals to his sometimes if we have the same thing.
    I rarely ever log my exercise on there. I log it separately in my notes on my phone, just easier for me that way and easier for me to see my progress.

Yours must be set to the MFP default setting of only being open to those who you are friends with on MFP...not to say that this bothers me or I think there's anything wrong with that! :smile:

Aha! Fixed it.
    I think the only reason I would want to see other people's food diaries is to get ideas on different foods to eat. It's a shame so many people mention being judged for what they are tracking, on a site like this. I would hope for support rather than judgement.

When I look at other people's food diaries I am definitely only looking for new ideas for meals or snacks and not to pass judgement on their food choices. I have had my food diary open to the public since my first day on MFP and the only person who has ever "judged" me is someone who I am also friends with outside of MFP. And even that wasn't really a judgement; she just didn't (still doesn't!) understand why I choose to spend a few hundred of my calories on wine when I could have spent them on something like a slice of pizza instead. While there are definitely some judgemental people here on MFP (and everywhere else in the world) I do think that sometimes people can be a bit oversensitive and take an innocent comment or question out of context and perceive it as judgement or a criticism when it wasn't really intended that way!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    crssftlv wrote: »
    Because they eat crap lol

I don't think there is an entry for feces on MFP. If someone is eating that, they need professional help.

Oh wait...maybe you were just being judgy about people's food? Oops.

tumblr_m8w7yjbrvq1qa9jwno1_500.gif
  • leximarie3
    leximarie3 Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My diary was private until recently because for one, I didn't even know you could make it accessible to others, and I had like one friend (my sister in law haha) I lost all my weight with just me, myself and I, and with the help of this app of course ;) I still only have a few friends on here, but that's okay :p I'm 2 1/2 years maintenance. I have made my diary accessible for others to view now (honestly, I only realized you could do this when I saw the completed diary of someone else that said "view diary"), I get bored with the foods I eat and it's kind of nice to pull meal ideas/snacks from others diaries, so I figured maybe others can pull from mine! I don't judge, as I don't always eat the "best foods". I try to keep my breakfast, lunch and snacks healthy, but with dinner I'm a bit more lenient. I have 4 kids (and a husband who eats what he wants and never gains weight :| ) and don't have the time (or the energy haha) to cook separate meals for myself. I just try to use lean cuts of meat, incorporate fresh veggies, sub my sides for a healthier version (like a baked yam for me if the fam is having baked potatoes), etc. If it's an indulgent dinner, I just have small portion :) The other night my husband made bisquits and sausage gravy and eggs for dinner (love breakfast for dinner) and it was delish!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I just am amazed at how many people care that other people have hidden food diaries? Why?

Well I only care because the main reason that I added people was for the one's saying they WANTED support help etc... So how can support happen if you are unable to see the food diary and only see exercise if any at all.. It's all fine and dandy to burn 300 calories on an elliptical but they ate 8000 calories and had 50000mg of sodium... That is all...

What does it matter if they did eat that much? You don't know what's happening in their lives. It could be that they've actually made great progress with not binging. Or they could be gaining. You have to trust that people know best about what they're doing.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I feel you should share whatever you feel comfortable with. Its not mandatory to have an open diary. I had it open at one time and got a private message just nick picking my food choices and calories... Besides it's my weight loss and my journey and the only person I need to answer to is myself.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think I probably judge my own food choices more than anyone else even could. For instance, we ran out of lunch meat yesterday so today I made myself a PBJ, and I keep thinking badly about myself for it, but then defending my actions in my own head haha. I will say I enjoyed the hell out of that PBJ!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I could careless if someone wants to look at what I eat as long as their not looking through my window.. As for their pos or neg comment its just that pos or neg opinion.. Their will always be bully's in the world its how you let yourself react to them that affects your life..

Here's my lunch..lol

rvk37n1muhvu.jpg

4 oz Chicken Breast - Chicken Breast - Grilled, 8 oz 298 0 6 50 0 0
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, cooked, 0.5 cup 22 5 0 1 1 3
    Mushrooms - Raw, 2 oz(s) 12 2 0 2 1 1
    Star - Sliced Jalopenos, 2 Tbsp (30g) 5 1 0 0 0 0
    Barilla - Roasted Garlic Sause, 1/4 cup 30 6 1 1 0 0
    Onions - Sweet, raw, 2 oz(s) 18 4 0 0 1 3
    Beef - Ground, 90% lean meat / 10% fat, crumbles, cooked, pan-browned (hamburger), 5 oz(s) 326 0 17 40 0 0
    Explore Asia - Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccini, 2 oz
  • 007Charlette
    007Charlette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    leximarie3 wrote: »
    My diary was private until recently because for one, I didn't even know you could make it accessible to others, and I had like one friend (my sister in law haha) I lost all my weight with just me, myself and I, and with the help of this app of course ;) I still only have a few friends on here, but that's okay :p I'm 2 1/2 years maintenance. I have made my diary accessible for others to view now (honestly, I only realized you could do this when I saw the completed diary of someone else that said "view diary"), I get bored with the foods I eat and it's kind of nice to pull meal ideas/snacks from others diaries, so I figured maybe others can pull from mine! I don't judge, as I don't always eat the "best foods". I try to keep my breakfast, lunch and snacks healthy, but with dinner I'm a bit more lenient. I have 4 kids (and a husband who eats what he wants and never gains weight :| ) and don't have the time (or the energy haha) to cook separate meals for myself. I just try to use lean cuts of meat, incorporate fresh veggies, sub my sides for a healthier version (like a baked yam for me if the fam is having baked potatoes), etc. If it's an indulgent dinner, I just have small portion :) The other night my husband made bisquits and sausage gravy and eggs for dinner (love breakfast for dinner) and it was delish!

Thanks for your view.. like I've said in my replies to most I was just curious...
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    I think I probably judge my own food choices more than anyone else even could. For instance, we ran out of lunch meat yesterday so today I made myself a PBJ, and I keep thinking badly about myself for it, but then defending my actions in my own head haha. I will say I enjoyed the hell out of that PBJ!

Haha I haven't found a bread here that I like nor a peanut butter that I like... I'm a cream jiff and grape jam w nature's own wheat bread! !!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its easily gotten around , just change your profile and accept only people with open diaries.
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I just am amazed at how many people care that other people have hidden food diaries? Why?

Well I only care because the main reason that I added people was for the one's saying they WANTED support help etc... So how can support happen if you are unable to see the food diary and only see exercise if any at all.. It's all fine and dandy to burn 300 calories on an elliptical but they ate 8000 calories and had 50000mg of sodium... That is all...

What does it matter if they did eat that much? You don't know what's happening in their lives. It could be that they've actually made great progress with not binging. Or they could be gaining. You have to trust that people know best about what they're doing.

Actually it was none of your reasons but I understand your point... like I've written in several responses that I'm sure you haven't read through... I added people from a fb group who wanted weight LOSS support DIET support... I did not expect to Fi do 99% had closed diaries from a friend view.. I can see reasons to hide from a public view but did not understand from the friend side of it. I've accepted that not everyone who says they want help actually is ready for it or really wants it...but thanks
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hmm as far as I know, mine is open. At least I know my boyfriend can see it because he will copy meals to his sometimes if we have the same thing.
    I rarely ever log my exercise on there. I log it separately in my notes on my phone, just easier for me that way and easier for me to see my progress.

Yours must be set to the MFP default setting of only being open to those who you are friends with on MFP...not to say that this bothers me or I think there's anything wrong with that! :smile:

Aha! Fixed it.
    I think the only reason I would want to see other people's food diaries is to get ideas on different foods to eat. It's a shame so many people mention being judged for what they are tracking, on a site like this. I would hope for support rather than judgement.

I never even thought of looking at other peeps diaries, but now I fear I have become a a diary troll . And its not to judge, just to see what others eating that will help me plan in the future.
    There are some judgemental people here ( yes, really!! You may not believe me, but it true!), but if you think about it, its their problem, not yours. If they want to be judgemental. let them. They just deflecting attention away from something in their own lives that could use some scrutiny, Well, that is my theory anyway and I am sticking to it. That is the kind me, The other me says, ' they just a muppet'.......insert own word for muppet. btw......
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP,

Looks like you are new on MFP (conclusion from 25 post).

Regarding why you are seeing Exercise info in News status
    If you navigate to Home -> Settings -> Automatic News Feed Update Settings
    there are number of checkboxes and one of them is "I perform a cardio exercise".
    If that check box is checked you'll see it in your news feed.

Regarding diary being closed
    If you navigate to Food -> Settings at the bottom of the page you'll see Diary Sharing and that be set to Private and that's why you can't see their log.

A lot of people have this setting including me.

If you have any logging questions - ask. People will help.

EDTA : Read your response and you have different concerns. Not what I thought. Nevermind carry on. OHH!!Well!!! It's Friday.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's funny cos I read the confessions thread and some who have an open diary are admitting to logging more exercise that they didn't do to be under cals or not logging certain cals because they're embarrassed at what they ate - now IDGAF what anyone chooses to do either way and no judgement but it belies the belief that an open diary is "more honest". Mine has been a mix of both open and closed simply to thwart any temptation to be less than honest. Plus I rarely look at others now and I don't want to feel the obligation to do likewise if someone comments on mine.

In fact I'd drive you crazy because I'm not doing diary at all! But I might log exercise sometimes. Just so you know I'm still pro-active.

There are lots of reasons people may choose to do what they do which is why there are options to do either/or.