Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Well, for 1 thing, it's highly unlikely that you've come in contact with "most" people on MFP. For another, I believe that's the default setting when people sign up. For yet another, I've actually had people defriend me over the contents of my food diary. And finally, I'm sincerely curious why you care?

I have also been defriended over my diary. IDGAF. It's my information, the good the bad and the ugly. I share mine with friends, but I don't look at theirs unless they ask, or make mention of something I find particularly enticing. I also don't like or comment on their diaries. There have also been times when I have closed it to friends for brief periods while I reevaluated my goals. At the end of the day, it is like opening up your front window and walking around the house naked. It's there if people wish to gawk in, but they may not like what they see :laugh:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Because it's none of your goddamn business?

In actual fact, locked food diary/posting exercise is the default settings.

But really, why do so many people think that they should have access to other peoples food diaries? Do you go through your friend's pantries, too?

So much arrogance and entitlement.

I like to see other peoples diaries (especially UK) for ideas it can be very useful and often inspiring to see how people manage their calories and nutrition. It can help you see alternative food ideas.

I don't feel entitled to though, if people want to keep them private then obviously that is their privilege. A lot of people find it useful to have their food intake critiqued. As long as it is constructive.

And yes I go through my friends pantries because that is where they hide the goodies. >:)

I thought this was another word at first..heheeheehe

bahahahaha. That's amazing. I got a giggle before bed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

But really, why do so many people think that they should have access to other peoples food diaries? Do you go through your friend's pantries, too?

I like to see other peoples diaries (especially UK) for ideas it can be very useful and often inspiring to see how people manage their calories and nutrition. It can help you see alternative food ideas.

I don't feel entitled to though, if people want to keep them private then obviously that is their privilege. A lot of people find it useful to have their food intake critiqued. As long as it is constructive.

And yes I go through my friends pantries because that is where they hide the goodies. >:)

:laugh: :laugh:

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

I suspect your friends would be disappointed to learn you're dragging their diaries. No wonder people keep them closed. Glad to hear you can get to the store frequently/have adequate food prep time though.

"Dragging diaries" and "no wonder"? Weird terms considering you don't know me and have quickly judged based on 6 sentences. I thought the purpose of this site was mutual support? Some people in this thread are critiquing others for keeping diaries closed AND open.... very bizarre way of supporting each other......
    I actually only needed the one sentence: I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh

Begging for friends afterward by proclaiming your non-judgmental support was a nice touch.

• barbecuesauce
    Options
    How many of you have actually had someone say something rude about your food diary? I don't think I've ever had someone say something negative.

The only time I have commented on a friends food diary is if they eat something delicious, something that looks new, or they ask for opinions.

I have! It was from someone who felt the need to mention that I was over my day's calories (but still under maintenance). No words when I had eaten under 1100 the day before that.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

I did too. I wonder if that thread would make it to five pages?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I love when people who claim to be non-judgmental pass judgment on other people's intake. Hypocrisy makes this a fun read.

QFT!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I always love when people that recently started their journey want to criticize people for processed foods or sugar or junk. Euphoria can really be something powerful.

This is why I wish posts still showed tickers. It was much easier to wade through the bs that way.

Mine hasn't budged in a few months. Damn my Talenti and popcorn love! :grumble:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »
    oh you've eaten 150cals of veg and then 700 of ice cream. that's a nutritious diet.

Sounds yummy. Do you mix them together? :)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I always love when people that recently started their journey want to criticize people for processed foods or sugar or junk. Euphoria can really be something powerful.

This is why I wish posts still showed tickers. It was much easier to wade through the bs that way.

Yeah, when did that stop? I was gone from MFP and the forums for a while and when I came back one of the first things I noticed was my ticker was gone from my posts. I looked all over my settings the other day trying to get it back. Then I realized that no one had them. :disappointed:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »

Yeah, when did that stop? I was gone from MFP and the forums for a while and when I came back one of the first things I noticed was my ticker was gone from my posts. I looked all over my settings the other day trying to get it back. Then I realized that no one had them. :disappointed:

I miss them as well. I actually realized I hadn't seen my ticker in a REALLY long time and I went to view my profile and I FREAKED OUT because I'm almost HALF WAY to my GOAL! :smiley:
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why anybody would want to look at my diary. I only have one group for food, midnight to midnight, I don't track my water intake, I use a lot of my own entered recipes, and since I work 12 hour night shifts, I eat weird things. lol but knock yourself out!
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BC sometimes I eat something ridiculous like snickers ice cream or 4slices of pizza and starve for a lot of hours because I need to skip a meal to make my calorie goal or go over :|:# I'm just being honest
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Mines open to whoever wants to see. I have nothing to hide. In fact, I take pride in being as accurate as its possible to be regarding my calorie intake.

I do look at my friends diary to get ideas but I wouldn't dream of commenting unless they asked.
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    simply because I don't log food. Eat whenever I'm hungry, don't care that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    To be honest, mine is closed because I have absolutely no interest in hearing what anyone has to say about my diary. If it was open and someone commented, I'd either have to ignore it, which is rude, or respond, which I have no interest in doing, even if it's something nice. I know if I've had a good day or a bad one, I don't need validation or commiseration.

So really - why is my diary closed? because it's about me, not you.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I thought mine was open but it wasn't. I opened it as I think it's a good example of how to eat "normal" food in regular meals with some exercise thrown in. I'm not a dietary expert. There are some crazy meals out there but I wouldn't pull people up on it unless they were asking for help.
  • frazerkate_sw
    frazerkate_sw Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I log my binges and I think it's quite easy for someone to look at a binge and be like "you're not trying", when over a 1/3 of my life has featured binging and all bar the last 6 months have been dominated by unhealthy meals (yay for being an independent adult!). As soon as I can control that aspect of my diet, I'll set it to public again.

I actually love looking at other people's diaries as it gives me a good idea of how I can better use my calories.