Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. I don't have any desire to open it to everyone, especially after reading some comments in here, and seeing how many people have had rude comments made about their diaries!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My diary is public. Anyone can take a look and judge all they want. I also respect those who want to keep theirs private as well. Whatever helps you reach your goals at the end of the day.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Cause it's none of your (or my business). If you're that curious what I eat, friend me.

Exactly!
  • 007Charlette
    007Charlette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well mine is open for friends..same as my profile and its linked to my endomondo and up band... i wasn't trying to be rude or puss anyone off I just wanted to hear others reasons....I don't care really who sees what I eat ... I just wanted to hear/ read viewpoints from those who do care. .. to mee if one has their exercises open whether that is friend or public why not the food diary as well... so to me and in my opinion they go hand in hand... congrats you burned 855 calories yet your closed diary shows ou are eating a skittle a day. . That's not healthy or something that should be congratulated so I'm leary about encouraging stuff like that...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would also add that there are a lot of dumb *kitten* on this site who know jack about actual nutrition...I used to get dumb *kitten* comments like, "hey...that's a lot of carbs man". "ummmm yeah....it's *kitten* oatmeal brah...it has a lot of carbs...what's your point?"

People are ignorant yet they run their mouths..I don't need their input, I'm pretty well versed in nutrition. I don't recall that I ever closed my diary when I was logging, but I could see why people would want to. Who needs comments from the ignorant masses?
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also add that there are a lot of dumb *kitten* on this site who know jack about actual nutrition...I used to get dumb *kitten* comments like, "hey...that's a lot of carbs man". "ummmm yeah....it's *kitten* oatmeal brah...it has a lot of carbs...what's your point?"

People are ignorant yet they run their mouths..I don't need their input, I'm pretty well versed in nutrition. I don't recall that I ever closed my diary when I was logging, but I could see why people would want to. Who needs comments from the ignorant masses?

• 007Charlette
    Options

I agree with that too... I guess I hadn't encountered an ignited yet... I agree w you about oatmeal..as well as nutritional values..
    I saw a transformation article on db which is why I added over 20 people recently and she added me here... well not one of her foods was an actual food... just meal replacement bars shakes pills... yes that's her choice but her article said she had a healthy balanced diet and exercise etc.. I was just shocked to see that...I guess I still expect people to only lie in bed and not on their keyboards

• 007Charlette
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Personally, it makes no difference to me if anyone's diary is public or not. The option is there to set it to whatever preference we want. I don't see the point in judging anyone on which preference they choose.

I have never been curious about what others are eating unless they were asking for specific advice about what they were eating, in which case it would be helfpul for it to be open for viewing.

Well that was why I was curious.. I added about 20 from fb all wanting friends for accountability feedback support etc... well 90% had closed diaries.. I don't see how much support you can give or help if you don't know what or where they are w foods..One in particular is new to low car high fat and said she is over 2500 calories a day... abd needed help..how can you offer help if you don't know what she's eating
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Because it's none of your goddamn business?

In actual fact, locked food diary/posting exercise is the default settings.

But really, why do so many people think that they should have access to other peoples food diaries? Do you go through your friend's pantries, too?

So much arrogance and entitlement.

I like to see other peoples diaries (especially UK) for ideas it can be very useful and often inspiring to see how people manage their calories and nutrition. It can help you see alternative food ideas.

I don't feel entitled to though, if people want to keep them private then obviously that is their privilege. A lot of people find it useful to have their food intake critiqued. As long as it is constructive.

And yes I go through my friends pantries because that is where they hide the goodies. >:)

I thought this was another word at first..heheeheehe

bahahahaha. That's amazing. I got a giggle before bed.

I just moved to the UK it's an adjustment reading labels here verse USA labels..measuring is easier but everything is based on 100 most often so I'm soooo glad for the bar code scanner..
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Because I don't care to let random people see everything I'm eating. I have nothing to prove. For the exercise thing it shows up on your profile even if your diary is private.
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mine is open cause I DGAF either...even tho I have been made fun of because I eat Froot loops...nom nom...I leave it open because then I can say "my diary is open have a look if you want...."

Do I creep other diaries no...I had one friend who was way under and I asked about it out of concern only....and that was the last time I looked at a diary of someone who wasn't asking for help....

as for the tickers yes I miss those too...along with the Member since under our profile on the forums and the ability to click on the posts to see what people have posted....gives a lot of insight on their knowledge or lack there off...

Agree... that's why I asked... but with my original post and some of these replies I see people have a lot of different issues/reasons... I just didn't see the point in people being proud of a high exercise burn and unknowingly supporting a one skittle a day disorder... to me knowing both offer a truer sense of ... great and congrats because they can see the full picture
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mine is open cause I DGAF either...even tho I have been made fun of because I eat Froot loops...nom nom...I leave it open because then I can say "my diary is open have a look if you want...."

Do I creep other diaries no...I had one friend who was way under and I asked about it out of concern only....and that was the last time I looked at a diary of someone who wasn't asking for help....

as for the tickers yes I miss those too...along with the Member since under our profile on the forums and the ability to click on the posts to see what people have posted....gives a lot of insight on their knowledge or lack there off...

Agree... that's why I asked... but with my original post and some of these replies I see people have a lot of different issues/reasons... I just didn't see the point in people being proud of a high exercise burn and unknowingly supporting a one skittle a day disorder... to me knowing both offer a truer sense of ... great and congrats because they can see the full picture

In fairness, the default settings on MFP are diary closed and anytime you log exercise or lose weight or complete the diary, etc...those announcements are default on. A lot of people just don't change their defaults...a lot of them don't know they can or don't know how.

I think you're reading too much into things.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

So you're going to keep your diary closed then?
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Everything I have is open, my calories are out of whack since my Garmin adds 300-400 calories per workout extra compared to my polar.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Several people had replied that a lot of it has to do with the default privacy settings. When people open up their MFP account the diary is private and exercise automatically posts to a person's newsfeed when they log it. I'm sure quite a few of the people that are set at the default settings don't even know how to change it or where to go to change it. Just look at how many people look for help when they aren't losing and ask how to set their diary to public.

If it bothers you that bad, don't add people with closed diaries.
  • 007Charlette
    Options

In fairness, the default settings on MFP are diary closed and anytime you log exercise or lose weight or complete the diary, etc...those announcements are default on. A lot of people just don't change their defaults...a lot of them don't know they can or don't know how.

well thanks.. I just was asking a question..maybe it was too much to ask..I didn't think I broke a secret vault.. I just wondered why so many were closed from within friends.. I can understand from public. But if you add in "friends" I dint expect such high %

• 007Charlette
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Several people had replied that a lot of it has to do with the default privacy settings. When people open up their MFP account the diary is private and exercise automatically posts to a person's newsfeed when they log it. I'm sure quite a few of the people that are set at the default settings don't even know how to change it or where to go to change it. Just look at how many people look for help when they aren't losing and ask how to set their diary to public.

If it bothers you that bad, don't add people with closed diaries.

I don't really care.. I simply just noticed this because I just had added about 20 people from a fb support forum and over 90% had closed diaries that wasn't noticed until their actions it started showing on my feed...
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What? There are judgemental people on MFP? Say it ain't so!
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    Because I don't care to let random people see everything I'm eating. I have nothing to prove. For the exercise thing it shows up on your profile even if your diary is private.

I know the exercise does but so does..." ----" completed their diary..and I'm like okay. ..and it's just blank.. I hadn't noticed or too much cared because I just started adding people and I started adding from a FB diet exercise support group...so I found it odd that they were asking for help support but that being closed off...

• RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mine's closed because during the day I use the app to log, and for some reason half of what I logged on my phone didn't show up on the website. Because of this people were making rude comments about ''sloppy logging'' when I actually weighed and logged everything I ate and drank. I just got fed up with being unfairly judged.