Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I am sensitive and you are all meanies who would make fun of my buttered bacon cauliflower ice cream.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    Mine is closed because I am sensitive and you are all meanies who would make fun of my buttered bacon cauliflower ice cream.

xvn5qwv6vzuw.jpg

As for a private diary, I don't have mine public. It's there for me. My goal is to work toward a good balance of foods using foods that I already like to eat so that I don't feel like I'm being restricted.

If I'm eating what I like, I'm much more likely to stick to this long-term. I'm not concerned if other people like what I'm eating or how I'm eating it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed just because it was the default setting really. I've been in maintenance for 3-4 years now quite successfully so unless that changes I don't really think I need any suggestions, well-informed and kind or otherwise. I never really look at anyone else's unless they're like OMG LOOK HOW MUCH KFC I STUFFED IN, and then I like to peek just because I'm impressed.

• Andytri38
    Andytri38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Only a guilty person has things to hide....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Andytri38 wrote: »

Now that's just silly. Do you share every aspect of your life always with every single person you meet? Of course not. Not sharing something doesn't automatically mean you're "hiding" anything.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Is that why your diary is locked?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Is that why your diary is locked?

I don't know why I didn't check-- it's almost comically predictable.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    mine is hidden in case someone comes by and says oh you've eaten 150cals of veg and then 700 of ice cream. that's a nutritious diet. (I now feel that i should open up my diary so that people can see that it's not full of ice cream). Which kinda just proved my point that i'm weird.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have mine open because even though I am sure no one bothers to look, it keeps me accountable to know that they might and shames me into making better choices in the same way that I would not order a 3rd helping at a public restaurant. So far I have resisted the urge to lie. I have been tempted to close it lately as I have been wondering if there is merit in logging my poop habits against my intake choices and I dunno if I want to share THAT (I have a very sensitive bowel)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    People close their dairies for the same reason most people shut the door when they sh-t ... privacy.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people have hidden food diaries? Why?

I just closed mine this weekend because I include personal notes in the notes section and I didn't want others to see them-unless you have a need to know when my period starts and such? As for exercise, don't really do it and definitely don't brag about it if I do happen to do it, so I guess I'm good there.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I just closed mine this weekend because I include personal notes in the notes section and I didn't want others to see them-unless you have a need to know when my period started and such? As for exercise, don't really do it and definitely don't brag about it if I do happen to do it, so I guess I'm good there.

Mine is closed for basically the same reason. There are days when I use the personal notes. I also just set it so that my exercise doesn't automatically post either. When I log my exercises on MFP I follow the calories burned according to my Fitbit not the calculations here. I don't bother looking at anyone's open diary either. I have better things to do with my time that critique what someone else is eating. I enjoying sharing some things on the wall but when it comes down to it, I am doing this for me so I don't feel the need to open every little aspect of my journey to the public.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    How many of you have actually had someone say something rude about your food diary? I don't think I've ever had someone say something negative.

The only time I have commented on a friends food diary is if they eat something delicious, something that looks new, or they ask for opinions.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    How many of you have actually had someone say something rude about your food diary? I don't think I've ever had someone say something negative.

The only time I have commented on a friends food diary is if they eat something delicious, something that looks new, or they ask for opinions.

I had it happen a few times on my old account, back when I was in my active weight loss phase. Didn't pay attention to their criticism and things turned out ok for me anyways ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    It's the default setting?

This.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

I suspect your friends would be disappointed to learn you're dragging their diaries. No wonder people keep them closed. Glad to hear you can get to the store frequently/have adequate food prep time though.

"Dragging diaries" and "no wonder"? Weird terms considering you don't know me and have quickly judged based on 6 sentences. I thought the purpose of this site was mutual support? Some people in this thread are critiquing others for keeping diaries closed AND open.... very bizarre way of supporting each other......
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

So you get annoyed if someone gives you advice on your diary...but you like to tell people how to change their diet? Okay.

I'm so happy I can log all of my hot messes and processed foods and my friends aren't disappointed in me.

When asked and previously agreed upon within the friends. Should I write an essay on the whole process?
    Options
    Being disappointed "for" others as opposed to being disappointed "in" others is a question of empathy and not judgement. In a mutually supportive weight loss group, it's a natural reaction to feel for the other person when they are not making their weight loss goals and have not noticed they are consuming 1250 empty processed calories. The person this was happening to ASKED for public advice, and is now steadily losing weight again based on many helpful suggestions by MFP members. They were much appreciative and had not been taking the time to check their labels (thinking that "diet" food meant "better for you and less calories"). If you want a really good productive, empathetic, non-judgmental partner in weight loss, then add me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So you want to judge everyone else for what they're eating while keeping your dairy private? Why is yours locked? What are you hiding?