Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people have hidden food diaries? Why?

The answer is 42. :)
    It doesn't bother me if someone keeps their diary closed until they start asking questions like this or wanting help from others figuring out why they didn't lose weight. Otherwise it doesn't matter. If you only want friends with open diaries then communicate that before adding them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh ... irony.

I think it's some unwritten rule that every person who starts a thread like this has their diary closed. It's too funny.

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Mine is open in case in the future I start asking why I'm not losing as fast as I'd like to or something.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Mine is public. Probably for the same reason as fr3smyl mentioned.
    Plus I don't really care what people on the interwebz think.

Also someone mentioned my exercise calories and helped me out the other day, this wouldn't have happened had my diary been closed!

I did have a mfp friend message me once chastising me about drinking too much milk and not eating enough veggies!!! :rage:
    Ironically her diary is locked, even to her friends. ..
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only cause that's the setting that one started with and I'm too lazy to change it. My exercises come up on my feed for the same reason. I'm too lazy to change the settings. Lol
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I opened mine to my friends. It helps me stay in check kind of.....like, I feel kind of guilty logging some of the things that I eat, but it helps me 2nd guess my food decisions for the next time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    A lot of people don't want to be judged for what they eat. You'd know the answer since your diary is closed.

Heh, another of these? So odd.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I opened mine to my friends. It helps me stay in check kind of.....like, I feel kind of guilty logging some of the things that I eat, but it helps me 2nd guess my food decisions for the next time.

That can be a doubled edged sword too. Some people won't log the bad things or that massive hamburger that sent them way over because they're worried about what their friends will think.... And are too embarrassed.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

I suspect your friends would be disappointed to learn you're dragging their diaries. No wonder people keep them closed. Glad to hear you can get to the store frequently/have adequate food prep time though.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Never Mind. I am changing my option now if there is one for the exercise to post.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    The exercise entries autatically go to the newsfeed. Its not a choice. So its not really boasting if you had no control over it posting.
    It would be nice though to have a choice on that.

You can change the setting, actually. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news_feed_settings
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The exercise entries autatically go to the newsfeed. Its not a choice. So its not really boasting if you had no control over it posting.
    It would be nice though to have a choice on that.

You can change the setting, actually. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news_feed_settings

I see the option to remove cardio but not exercise in general. I never noticed all those settings. Thanks!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but if anyone has time to bother insult it, then I would pity them. to be honest.
    I class diaries as a work in progress, not something to be judged. Unless asked for, And, as we find out, be careful what you wish for........and I am just recent addition,

I don't want or need judgement from a stranger unless it kindly and well meant, If it sarky/negative, then why waste my time? With that attitude you are not helping.

A proper friend however bringing a couple of things to my attention, I would not mind at all. A world of difference.......
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people have hidden food diaries? Why?

I am just always amazed at how many people care if a total stranger decides to keep their diary private.

It wouldn't help you very much to see mine. Most of my entries are home cooked meals...like tonight. I cooked southwest flavored turkey meatballs...served over spiralized zucchini with lime/cilantro dressing.

• dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm coming over - cutlery in one hand, bib in the other-........
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

You would hate mine. I fit ice cream, peanut butter, and Cheez-Its into my intake.

By the way...it's a bit contradictory to say you would be annoyed if people provided advice/judgments on your food choices, when you are doing the same. Being "disappointed" in someone's lifestyle choice is really unnecessary.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

I always find it rather strange that people can be so judgemental of strangers they have never met in real life. How can you assess someone's food choices if you don't live their life or have their lifestyle or have good handle on their goals? What makes your food choices so much better? Maybe open your diary and show us? I'm sure we can be pretty Judgemental of yours.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

So you get annoyed if someone gives you advice on your diary...but you like to tell people how to change their diet? Okay.

I'm so happy I can log all of my hot messes and processed foods and my friends aren't disappointed in me.