Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Being disappointed "for" others as opposed to being disappointed "in" others is a question of empathy and not judgement. In a mutually supportive weight loss group, it's a natural reaction to feel for the other person when they are not making their weight loss goals and have not noticed they are consuming 1250 empty processed calories. The person this was happening to ASKED for public advice, and is now steadily losing weight again based on many helpful suggestions by MFP members. They were much appreciative and had not been taking the time to check their labels (thinking that "diet" food meant "better for you and less calories"). If you want a really good productive, empathetic, non-judgmental partner in weight loss, then add me.

Your actions and statements are judgmental based on your biases of what is, or isn't, appropriate for others to consume.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

Oh my. I drink milk almost every night :yum: (here’s to milk, @christinev297 !), and would *never* switch to almond milk. I like my extra bit of protein, thankyouverymuch. Are there people who prefer almond milk? Probably. Would I tell them to switch to cow milk? Nope. I just don’t understand :confused:

Edit to actually say something relevant: Looking at people’s diaries is kind of like sneaking a peek at what other people are buying at the grocery store. I buy my Doritos and Nutella with pride, right next to my Greek yogurt and bunch of broccoli, but that’s because I’m more macro-focused than anything. Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter what other people eat, and I’m happy for anyone who is meeting their goals whichever way they like.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Hahaha! This thread is becoming just too funny!
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I always find it rather strange that people can be so judgemental of strangers they have never met in real life. How can you assess someone's food choices if you don't live their life or have their lifestyle or have good handle on their goals? What makes your food choices so much better? Maybe open your diary and show us? I'm sure we can be pretty Judgemental of yours.[/quote]

It's kind of human nature I guess. I have had people message me horrible things on here that they would never ever say to me on an elevator. ....I GUARANTEE IT!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Mine's public. I've never had anyone negatively comment on my intake - but I seriously wouldn't care if they did. I'm happy with where I am, and my success. So if people want to judge me for eating a ridiculous amount of chinese take out tonight - go for it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Have we ever had one of these threads where the OP's diary isn't private? For what it's worth I never even bother looking when I see a thread like this. Why? I don't give a s--- what anyone eats. That is their business. That, and I haven't logged anything in months.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How many of you have actually had someone say something rude about your food diary? I don't think I've ever had someone say something negative.

The only time I have commented on a friends food diary is if they eat something delicious, something that looks new, or they ask for opinions.

I have had someone say something on the boards, but it was laughably pathetic.

Mine's still public, and I really don't care if people have something to say about what I eat. I'm old and DGAF.

• CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I'd be seriously annoyed if someone started giving me unasked-for advice on my eating! I like seeing other people's diaries to get an idea of variety in food choices when I get into a bored slump. I have mine open to friends only. With friends, it's nice to see something they're eating and be able to make an alternative suggestion (and vice versa). Like subbing almond milk for 1% etc. I'm always disappointed for others when I see the amount of processed foods people are eating instead of going a little more fresh.

Oh my. I drink milk almost every night :yum: (here’s to milk, @christinev297 !), and would *never* switch to almond milk. I like my extra bit of protein, thankyouverymuch. Are there people who prefer almond milk? Probably. Would I tell them to switch to cow milk? Nope. I just don’t understand :confused:

Good grief... as mentioned.... the person ASKED for alternatives... my future answer should be, "Sorry.... if I mention in a thread in the future that I gave you an alternative idea, I'm liable to be judged and trashed. So you're on you're own".

I agree.... I'm quite surprised how aggressive people are being about this.... if this was a dinner party, this would be a very polite conversation, but because it's on a website, it's not. I'll bow out of the conversation now and members can go back to judging and trashing the original poster of this conversation.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mine's public. I've never had anyone negatively comment on my intake - but I seriously wouldn't care if they did. I'm happy with where I am, and my success. So if people want to judge me for eating a ridiculous amount of chinese take out tonight - go for it.

Girl, I'm going to drool over your Chinese take out consumption tonight.

Just like I did that pretzel-crusted brownie thing.

I gluten stalk my friend's diaries and live vicariously.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Good grief... as mentioned.... the person ASKED for alternatives... my future answer should be, "Sorry.... if I mention in a thread in the future that I gave you an alternative idea, I'm liable to be judged and trashed. So you're on you're own".

I agree.... I'm quite surprised how aggressive people are being about this.... if this was a dinner party, this would be a very polite conversation, but because it's on a website, it's not. I'll bow out of the conversation now and members can go back to judging and trashing the original poster of this conversation.

Do you judge what people eat at dinner parties too?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Do you judge what people eat at dinner parties too?

lol
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I still dream about that brownie.
  • Emilia777
    Options

Oh I’m sorry, I was under the impression the suggestion was volunteered rather than solicited. Though I’m still firmly on team cow milk (or even goat!), if this worked for the person in question, that’s great.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

This post made my head hurt with all the wrong.

• Emilia777
    Options

Wait what? What is this pretzel-brownie hybrid and where can I get one?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

It's at 54th Street, if you have one near you. It's a salted caramel brownie - pretzel crust, chocolate sauce, salt, vanilla bean ice cream. It was more amazing than words.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's at 54th Street, if you have one near you. It's a salted caramel brownie - pretzel crust, chocolate sauce, salt, vanilla bean ice cream. It was more amazing than words.

Yum. I'm not even a huge fan of putting pretzels in sweets but that sounds amazing.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Those are a great appetizer at 54th Street.