Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    Diaries are to be used as to how the author wants to use them. Ok, if they don't know to go to settings and change the thing, that's different - but otherwise, private, friends only, with a key ( eh?) or open,- it's a matter of choice,
    Personally, I am totally open. That is one of the reasons I came on here - to feel I had to be accountable. A notepad and pen wasn't working for me,,,,,,

No one has yet to be judgemental over my diary, but I know it only a matter of time methinks! A pal was on here years ago and gave up due to judgement issues....and she one of the fittest most nutrition aware people I know,

I agree with that..I just was shocked so many were locked if the point of people wanting to be added was for support advice etc..
    Sometimes you just want a fun person on your friend list. I know I've added some for that reason.
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,591 Member
    Options
    I'd trust the opinion of someone who has theirs open than someone who doesn't log or have theirs visible at all. some people here can generally be far too judgmental and think they're all knowing fitness gurus.
  • 007Charlette
    007Charlette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I just am amazed at how many people care that other people have hidden food diaries? Why?

Well I only care because the main reason that I added people was for the one's saying they WANTED support help etc... So how can support happen if you are unable to see the food diary and only see exercise if any at all.. It's all fine and dandy to burn 300 calories on an elliptical but they ate 8000 calories and had 50000mg of sodium... That is all...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people care that other people have hidden food diaries? Why?

Well I only care because the main reason that I added people was for the one's saying they WANTED support help etc... So how can support happen if you are unable to see the food diary and only see exercise if any at all.. It's all fine and dandy to burn 300 calories on an elliptical but they ate 8000 calories and had 50000mg of sodium... That is all...

I'm perfectly capable of giving support without seeing a diary, in fact I never look. I interact with people's statuses and comments rather than just looking at their "so-and-so completed their diary" things. Support to me is not at all about looking at their food, unless they specifically ask. Sounds like you make your support pretty conditional.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm perfectly capable of giving support without seeing a diary

This. I'm not saying I'm always as good at it as it can be, but when someone says they want support I wouldn't assume they wanted someone to comment on their food choices. I've had friends specifically ask for people to review and comment when they want this, and of course those were open (or they offered the key).

When I started I posted in a few threads looking for friends because I wanted some friends to share things about this process with, but that wasn't about food--I had a pretty strong idea of how I wanted to eat and I'm sure it differs in some ways from others (for example, I don't think I eat that much sodium but I would never track it because I don't care, and I add salt in cooking all the time and never log it).

I assume that people who want support want to be able to ask questions about things (including maybe asking for a review of their diary, but not necessarily) but mostly just chat and share struggles. For me having it be kind of like FB is for many keeps me checking in, which means I remember to log and maybe have more motivation to exercise because I see others posting about stuff and get inspired. That's not so much an issue now, but it can be at first.

For many people it can be fun to feel like they are doing it with others, rather than alone, but if you had a real life group they wouldn't necessarily see everything you eat.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    crssftlv wrote: »
    Because they eat crap lol

My diary is closed...this is what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast

V8 Juice, 8 oz cup

Peanutbutter and Banana Sandhich, 1 serving(s) (2 pieces of whole wheat-1 Tbl PB - 1/2 banana)

Dannon L&F Greek Yogurt , 1 Container

Lunch

Southwestern Turkey Meatballs, 4 serving(s) (for 4 oz ground turkey)

Potato Chips, 28 g

Fiber One - Fiber One, Chewy Protein Bar (Caramel Nut), 1 bar (33g)

Dinner

Roasted Broccoli 100g/93, 0.5 serving(s)

London Broil, 1 serving(s) (4 oz)

Roasted Red Cabbage 100g/88, 1 serving(s)

Mushrooms, Pepper, Onions, 0.65 serving(s)

Honey, 10.5 g (1 TBL)

Unsweetened Almond Milk, 0.25 Cup (in my tea)

Oh...then a bag of Skinnygirl popcorn...

It is possible to have a closed diary and not just eat "crap"...(well...I suppose that some would call the chips "crap" but...oh well.)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I'm also wondering what you mean by "boast" their exercise. Unless they change it in settings, it's just a default that it shows up when they log it. So not sure how that's boasting. :indifferent:

This is apparently what confounds the OP...she doesn't seem to understand that there are certain default settings....

I ran for FIVE MINUTES tonight! Seriously, five minutes at 12:00ish pace.

Just thought this would be a good thread in which to brag about it.

Why run? You're about to die from insulin resistance!

That's his friend who's about to die!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    His "friend."
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rowbeana1 wrote: »
    I keep mine hidden, because I am ruthlessly honest with myself, but I wouldn't be if I thought others were reading my embarrassing array of crappy food choices and the quantity. It makes me free to be honest, so I can see that "Yes, I definitely have a candy addiction!". LOL

I am exactly the same! I am more likely to fudge if I think other people are looking at it. I tell myself I can just "remember" I ate that candy bar, I don't have to log it. These threads always infuriate me because it shouldn't be anyone's business anyway but there are always a gaggle of people cackling about how people with closed diaries are ashamed and liars and blah blah blah . . .

If these threads infuriate you, then why do you read or participate in them?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How can I judge you as a human being if I can't see what you're eating?!?!?

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I keep mine hidden, because I am ruthlessly honest with myself, but I wouldn't be if I thought others were reading my embarrassing array of crappy food choices and the quantity. It makes me free to be honest, so I can see that "Yes, I definitely have a candy addiction!". LOL

I am exactly the same! I am more likely to fudge if I think other people are looking at it. I tell myself I can just "remember" I ate that candy bar, I don't have to log it. These threads always infuriate me because it shouldn't be anyone's business anyway but there are always a gaggle of people cackling about how people with closed diaries are ashamed and liars and blah blah blah . . .

I think...no scientific research however to back it up...that being infuriated raises the metabolism thus burning and extra 1.278 calories.

I log it as exercise but rarely eat that calorie back. I just want it to show up on my news feed.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hmm as far as I know, mine is open. At least I know my boyfriend can see it because he will copy meals to his sometimes if we have the same thing.
    I rarely ever log my exercise on there. I log it separately in my notes on my phone, just easier for me that way and easier for me to see my progress.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Hmm as far as I know, mine is open. At least I know my boyfriend can see it because he will copy meals to his sometimes if we have the same thing.
    I rarely ever log my exercise on there. I log it separately in my notes on my phone, just easier for me that way and easier for me to see my progress.

Yours must be set to the MFP default setting of only being open to those who you are friends with on MFP...not to say that this bothers me or I think there's anything wrong with that! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I'm also wondering what you mean by "boast" their exercise. Unless they change it in settings, it's just a default that it shows up when they log it. So not sure how that's boasting. :indifferent:

This is apparently what confounds the OP...she doesn't seem to understand that there are certain default settings....

I ran for FIVE MINUTES tonight! Seriously, five minutes at 12:00ish pace.

Just thought this would be a good thread in which to brag about it.

@ jofjltncb6 I support you....

Olu1VVr.gif
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have my diary closed with a password, so only the people to whom I give the password can see it. I used to keep it open until someone, completely unsolicited, criticized me for relying on protein bars. The funny thing is that I hadn't eaten a protein bar in months, but she must've remembered that I had a short stint when I was eating more than one a day and brought it up for whatever reason. So if I get "in trouble" with some of my MFP friends for having a protein bar, I'd hate to think what she or anyone else might think if they saw me logging that bag of Cheetos or whatever. I allow those who won't criticize my food choices to see my diary, and it's usually because they want ideas as to what someone with my kind of schedule eats. If I need input on my diary, I'll remove the password requirement until I'm satisfied with the answers I've received.

As for posting exercise, these days it is such a rarity for me that I feel good when I get the "atta girls" from people on my friends list. I cheer them on as well. I don't care if they burned off 300 calories but ate 8,000. It's better than not working out at all, and it's my place to support them, not judge them for eating 8,000 calories. If they knew about some of the things I've done in the past to hide my overeating, they'd understand that I have no room to judge because, you know, glass houses and all.

I rarely look at friends' diaries. If I do, it's usually for ideas, and if someone who might have good ideas has closed her diary, I'll ask her directly for ideas. The only other reason I'll look at someone's diary is if I am concerned that she might be undereating.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I think...no scientific research however to back it up...that being infuriated raises the metabolism thus burning and extra 1.278 calories.

I log it as exercise but rarely eat that calorie back. I just want it to show up on my news feed.

Exactly! Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. :tongue:

• Jensmyfitpal
    Jensmyfitpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think its a very personal thing what you eat and a lot of ppl love to judge others. End of the day I don't want anyone that fancies it looking through mine unless I know about it. if someone wanted to see it that badly they can message me and ask as its open to my friends. I think the pressure of anyone looking mine up id feel a lot of pressure and end up giving up. Or worse someone judging me which already happened btw.
  • JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have mine open. I have nothing to hide, plus i feel it gives people the opportunity to see what other options they have for meals. Like for example when i get into a slump because my meal making creativity has taken a back seat, I'll sometimes browse other peoples diaries for inspiration on meals to make that also fit into my macros.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Yours must be set to the MFP default setting of only being open to those who you are friends with on MFP...not to say that this bothers me or I think there's anything wrong with that! :smile:

Aha! Fixed it.
    I think the only reason I would want to see other people's food diaries is to get ideas on different foods to eat. It's a shame so many people mention being judged for what they are tracking, on a site like this. I would hope for support rather than judgement.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Aha! Fixed it.
    I think the only reason I would want to see other people's food diaries is to get ideas on different foods to eat. It's a shame so many people mention being judged for what they are tracking, on a site like this. I would hope for support rather than judgement.

You can't win. If it's open someone will judge you for what you eat or don't eat, if you close it, they judge for you having it closed. I consider the latter to be the lesser of two evils. No one needs to see what I eat to be supportive. That's an excuse for being nosy.