Rude comments?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think she might be talking about the "I need to lose 30 pounds in a month so my boyfriend will buy me a car" thread. That's the OP from that thread.

I remember that post. She wanted to lose 25 pounds in 10.5 weeks. Not that anyone here would ever distort or misrepresent what someone else says, of course...

(Edit: Reading down, I see the inaccuracy was already noted.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think she might be talking about the "I need to lose 30 pounds in a month so my boyfriend will buy me a car" thread. That's the OP from that thread.

I remember that post. She wanted to lose 25 pounds in 10.5 weeks. Not that anyone here would ever distort or misrepresent what someone else says, of course...

(Edit: Reading down, I see the inaccuracy was already noted.)

And if you read down, you will have also read that I apologized for my mistake in recalling the contents of a deleted thread and the person noted that she herself had initially confused the issue by inadvertently cutting a month from her timeline.

But sure. Not that anyone here would distort or misrepresent was written (especially when the words are right there, still available to review, in the very thread we're in). Right.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I'm in a mood I give it right back to them. Usually I just ignore it.

In both real life and on the internet.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    jorinya wrote: »
    Just want to share a story about the danger of rude comments:
    Trevor, 13 years old and a little overweight loved football. Some people looked at him and decided he would be a good target to pick on. So one boy started to pick on him, calling him fatty, elephant and other hurtful names. Him and his pals would say, "Hey, fatty, what have you get in your lunch box today?" Then they would take his lunch box, throw his lynch on the ground and then squash it with their feet and tell Trevor it would make him get thin. They would laugh at him and sometimes beat him up. Trevor never told his parents or teachers and would tell him mum the injuries were from playing football. One day Trevor had enough. He went home early, grabbed a rope, tied one end round his neck and the other end round the top banister of the stairs. Wrote a note saying sorry to his mum. Then started walking down the stairs. He wanted to end every harsh word, every torment, every nasty comment. Suddenly, the phone rang, it was his mum, the answering machine got the call. He started to run, forgot the rope, tripped and that was the end. Trevor's mum came home, opened the door and met her only son lifeless.
    Trevor was no more. His mum was never the same again. How do I know? True story, it happened when I was in secondary school and I know his family very well.
    Internet bullying and nasty words can have the same effect. Think before you say something. The person could be like Trevor. We should all be kind to one another and supportive. The world is a nasty place and we need to be united.
    Sorry for the long post, I felt I should share this story.

Did he ever ask anyone for advice on how to lose his weight? This is a completely different story than what happens on MFP when people ask for advice, and when they get sensible answers, get hysterical when it's not what they want to hear.

You are so wrong. Some people here delight in making fun of others and are downright nasty.

He's not wrong.

Neither are you.

There are posters who take any available opportunity to jump all over others. There are also people who ask for advice and get belligerent when the (legit) answers aren't what they want to here.

Both groups are here, in abundance - it's not an either-or situation.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    85kurtz wrote: »
    jorinya wrote: »
    Just want to share a story about the danger of rude comments:
    Trevor, 13 years old and a little overweight loved football. Some people looked at him and decided he would be a good target to pick on. So one boy started to pick on him, calling him fatty, elephant and other hurtful names. Him and his pals would say, "Hey, fatty, what have you get in your lunch box today?" Then they would take his lunch box, throw his lynch on the ground and then squash it with their feet and tell Trevor it would make him get thin. They would laugh at him and sometimes beat him up. Trevor never told his parents or teachers and would tell him mum the injuries were from playing football. One day Trevor had enough. He went home early, grabbed a rope, tied one end round his neck and the other end round the top banister of the stairs. Wrote a note saying sorry to his mum. Then started walking down the stairs. He wanted to end every harsh word, every torment, every nasty comment. Suddenly, the phone rang, it was his mum, the answering machine got the call. He started to run, forgot the rope, tripped and that was the end. Trevor's mum came home, opened the door and met her only son lifeless.
    Trevor was no more. His mum was never the same again. How do I know? True story, it happened when I was in secondary school and I know his family very well.
    Internet bullying and nasty words can have the same effect. Think before you say something. The person could be like Trevor. We should all be kind to one another and supportive. The world is a nasty place and we need to be united.
    Sorry for the long post, I felt I should share this story.

Did he ever ask anyone for advice on how to lose his weight? This is a completely different story than what happens on MFP when people ask for advice, and when they get sensible answers, get hysterical when it's not what they want to hear.

You are so wrong. Some people here delight in making fun of others and are downright nasty.

He's not wrong.

Neither are you.

There are posters who take any available opportunity to jump all over others. There are also people who ask for advice and get belligerent when the (legit) answers aren't what they want to here.

Both groups are here, in abundance - it's not an either-or situation.

Yup.

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I found a great reference once - maybe it was on here - can't recall but I stole the information for future use. It surprisingly works really well (I use #2 a lot with my children):

How To Re-Direct Negative Comments

1. Look startled and say, "I can't believe you would make such a personal comment." Ask how they like the weather.

2. Answer the question they should have asked, "Thank you, I appreciate your kind thoughts." Ask how they like the weather.

3. Pretend you didn't hear the comments. Look vague, then ask how they like the weather.

4. Excuse yourself and leave the room for a minute. Return and ask how they like the weather.

People are interested in a watching you spin when they push your buttons. (Not necessarily a conspiracy; most people do this unconsciously.) Disconnect your buttons, eliminate the spinning, stop their fun.

Prepare for an elevation of their attempts before they recognize you've changed the game.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point in my life where in real life I just either ignore certain negative people or say something smart to get them to stfu... I'm not gonna get into a heated argument with some *kitten* on the street I barely know or care about. If it's online...like YT..I've started blocking them instead of getting into it with them as it's pointless. On here..since you can't block someone unless they send you a message...I just ignore them or once and while...say something sarcastic and move on. I tend not to get mad at people on here, even if they are deliberately trying to attack me....I honestly just laugh it off and move on as remember...don't let their stupid insults get to you on here.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    on here: kill them with sarcasm and then block them. real life: avoid them and move on!