Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

By that logic you aren't allowed to say anything unless it's all bubbly nice with sugar on top, because someone might feel sad from it.

What's a tired, horse-beaten topic without a strawman?

Because after all, there can't possibly be ANYTHING between being a bubbly sugary giggling moron, and being a complete azzhat.

But I think a ridiculous "Oh fine, then I'll just be completely sugary-disgusting instead"-style nonsense comment was pretty much bound to happen at some point, sooner or later. In this case, sooner.

People will find things to get offended at no matter how you word it. Thanks for not getting the point and... getting offended I guess.

1. I'm not offended...that's an odd comment.
    2. Yes, some people will find things to get offended at, just as some people will jump on the "I'm just telling it like it is" bandwagon in order to get a passive-aggressive charge out of slamming the next person/inserting a nonsensical gif/spewing the latest overused phrase, etc. Whatever blows your skirt up, I guess. But yes, you're right, except you forgot the word "some." Fixed that for ya.

I am so tired of catering to people who get offended, mostly because of their refusal to face facts. . .

Not reading/posting is always an option. I mean....if you're *that* tired....

Exactly.

I, for one, am not "tired" and am therefore answering. It really is just that simple. OTOH, I don't put my hand to my heart in martyrdom at how I'm somehow forced to answer repetitive posts that I don't want to answer. Rather, when I want to answer something, I own that. That's really pretty simple too...at least IMO.

It always gives me a giggle to see the "It's just so HARD"-type posts where the posters apparently have guns to their heads and their eyeballs propped open a la A Clockwork Orange with the barked command, "Answer. ANSWER!"

The biggest irony may be that these longtime sufferers will be the first to tell someone else to have some sense of personal accountability. That's always good for a chuckle too. Or maybe just a shake of the head.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

By that logic you aren't allowed to say anything unless it's all bubbly nice with sugar on top, because someone might feel sad from it.

Because after all, there can't possibly be ANYTHING between being a bubbly sugary giggling moron, and being a complete azzhat.

But I think a ridiculous "Oh fine, then I'll just be completely sugary-disgusting instead"-style nonsense comment was pretty much bound to happen at some point, sooner or later. In this case, sooner.

People will find things to get offended at no matter how you word it. Thanks for not getting the point and... getting offended I guess.

2. Yes, some people will find things to get offended at, just as some people will jump on the "I'm just telling it like it is" bandwagon in order to get a passive-aggressive charge out of slamming the next person/inserting a nonsensical gif/spewing the latest overused phrase, etc. Whatever blows your skirt up, I guess. But yes, you're right, except you forgot the word "some." Fixed that for ya.

I am so tired of catering to people who get offended, mostly because of their refusal to face facts. . .

Not reading/posting is always an option. I mean....if you're *that* tired....

Exactly.

I, for one, am not "tired" and am therefore answering. It really is just that simple. OTOH, I don't put my hand to my heart in martyrdom at how I'm somehow forced to answer repetitive posts that I don't want to answer. Rather, when I want to answer something, I own that. That's really pretty simple too...at least IMO.

It always gives me a giggle to see the "It's just so HARD"-type posts where the posters apparently have guns to their heads and their eyeballs propped open a la A Clockwork Orange with the barked command, "Answer. ANSWER!"

The MFP theme song...

tumblr_loja3rOUWz1qfzutqo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I mean, look at this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10144280/new-vegan#latest
    I've been mentioning it a few times today already because it was the most headshake inducing thread I've seen today.
    There was at worst 1 comment you could see as not nice and it was only making fun of the diet. She chose to get angry at the people correctly telling her it's BS, insulting them, then leaving.
    And these threads don't happen just once a year.

So IOW...you're using this same thread over and over again in other threads in order to prove what idiots people can be? My God man, how much time do you have on your hands???

If one particular thread offends you, how about reporting it, if it's reportable?

Or, you know, ignoring it?

I am not offended by it, but these kinds of threads are also usually the ones with the drive-by posters coming in saying "Don't be mean to OP!!!!" "Be supportive or don't say anything at all!" and are the cause for many of the mean people threads.
    I just want to be clear here. The OP of that thread got offended over nothing, then proceeded to be offensive herself all the while thinking others were being mean. Honestly I'm surprised it never went above 1 page.
    That's the kind of person who keeps saying the people on mfp are mean to them. That's the reason I said that unless you're talking to them like a baby and being all fluffy and crap, there's going to be someone angry at what you told them if you're not agreeing with them.
    Because that's not a straw man or exaggeration.
    It's actually happening. And not all that rarely either.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with rude comments or people thinking that your not doing enough weather here or in real life?

I talk to Zues when I don't think he's doing enough with the weather. Or Thor. They sorta have the same job in that area in not so real life. But I'm not rude to them. I don't think they'd take too kindly to that.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I am sorry you're so exhausted. Maybe take a break?

Or, you know. Just not answer?

One or the other. Either should work well to take this burden off your shoulders.

I'm far from exhausted; I said tired.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Some people on here are rude. Some are too sensitive. Some are whiners. Some irrationally come to the defense of others just to argue or "I told you so" to certain posters that they don't care for. And some post things just to piss off posters that they don't care for.

It's all obnoxious.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Some people on here are rude. Some are too sensitive. Some are whiners. Some irrationally come to the defense of others just to argue or "I told you so" to certain posters that they don't care for. And some post things just to piss off posters that they don't care for.

It's all obnoxious.

Obnoxious? I find disagreements very enlightening and putting stuff into perspective.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of person who keeps saying the people on mfp are mean to them. That's the reason I said that unless you're talking to them like a baby and being all fluffy and crap, there's going to be someone angry at what you told them if you're not agreeing with them.
    Because that's not a straw man or exaggeration.
    It's actually happening. And not all that rarely either.

Some people are used to being treated like babies and never grow up. Some are used to getting their own was and when they don't then its run and sulj in the corner. Some are just plain bullies that get a kick out of being rude, some don't care and other sit on the fence. We can't please everyone unfortunately. There will always be the above types of people in an imperfect world. Such is life!!

• 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Just want to share a story about the danger of rude comments:
    Trevor, 13 years old and a little overweight loved football. Some people looked at him and decided he would be a good target to pick on. So one boy started to pick on him, calling him fatty, elephant and other hurtful names. Him and his pals would say, "Hey, fatty, what have you get in your lunch box today?" Then they would take his lunch box, throw his lynch on the ground and then squash it with their feet and tell Trevor it would make him get thin. They would laugh at him and sometimes beat him up. Trevor never told his parents or teachers and would tell him mum the injuries were from playing football. One day Trevor had enough. He went home early, grabbed a rope, tied one end round his neck and the other end round the top banister of the stairs. Wrote a note saying sorry to his mum. Then started walking down the stairs. He wanted to end every harsh word, every torment, every nasty comment. Suddenly, the phone rang, it was his mum, the answering machine got the call. He started to run, forgot the rope, tripped and that was the end. Trevor's mum came home, opened the door and met her only son lifeless.
    Trevor was no more. His mum was never the same again. How do I know? True story, it happened when I was in secondary school and I know his family very well.
    Internet bullying and nasty words can have the same effect. Think before you say something. The person could be like Trevor. We should all be kind to one another and supportive. The world is a nasty place and we need to be united.
    Sorry for the long post, I felt I should share this story.

Did he ever ask anyone for advice on how to lose his weight? This is a completely different story than what happens on MFP when people ask for advice, and when they get sensible answers, get hysterical when it's not what they want to hear.

You are so wrong. Some people here delight in making fun of others and are downright nasty. I am gobsmacked by the sheer unadulterated bullying that I see on this site. You can say to someone "Are you sure you are weighing correctly?" Or "Calories in and calories out is a good formula to follow" Rather than "I have that since I cut out salads I have lost weight, must be those salads not the cheesecake I was scoffing" or actively ridiculing someone because of their chosen diet. I just wonder sometimes whether successful losers or people that have never had to lose are like reformed smokers. You know the sort of person who is sooooo holier than thou and never misses an opportunity to belittle another addict.
  • jorinya
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    You are so wrong. Some people here delight in making fun of others and are downright nasty. I am gobsmacked by the sheer unadulterated bullying that I see on this site. You can say to someone "Are you sure you are weighing correctly?" Or "Calories in and calories out is a good formula to follow" Rather than "I have that since I cut out salads I have lost weight, must be those salads not the cheesecake I was scoffing" or actively ridiculing someone because of their chosen diet. I just wonder sometimes whether successful losers or people that have never had to lose are like reformed smokers. You know the sort of person who is sooooo holier than thou and never misses an opportunity to belittle another addict.
    Thanks for that, being a reformed smoker, I still have my addictions to other substances, wait, dont jump to conclusions just yet....... I'm a tea addict, a peanut addict (reforming) and now a frut tea addict and a health, fitness and better me addict. We all are addicted to something if we would only admit it.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Trevor, 13 years old and a little overweight loved football. Some people looked at him and decided he would be a good target to pick on. So one boy started to pick on him, calling him fatty, elephant and other hurtful names. Him and his pals would say, "Hey, fatty, what have you get in your lunch box today?" Then they would take his lunch box, throw his lynch on the ground and then squash it with their feet and tell Trevor it would make him get thin. They would laugh at him and sometimes beat him up. Trevor never told his parents or teachers and would tell him mum the injuries were from playing football. One day Trevor had enough. He went home early, grabbed a rope, tied one end round his neck and the other end round the top banister of the stairs. Wrote a note saying sorry to his mum. Then started walking down the stairs. He wanted to end every harsh word, every torment, every nasty comment. Suddenly, the phone rang, it was his mum, the answering machine got the call. He started to run, forgot the rope, tripped and that was the end. Trevor's mum came home, opened the door and met her only son lifeless.
    Trevor was no more. His mum was never the same again. How do I know? True story, it happened when I was in secondary school and I know his family very well.
    Internet bullying and nasty words can have the same effect. Think before you say something. The person could be like Trevor. We should all be kind to one another and supportive. The world is a nasty place and we need to be united.
    If Trevor died, how do we know he ran, tripped and hung himself? Was it recorded?
  • jorinya
    Options
    If Trevor died, how do we know he ran, tripped and hung himself? Was it recorded?
    It wasn't but that's what the medical examiner ruled. Anyway, I shared it to show what hurtful words can do and not to be asked questions about what happened. Bottom line, nasty repeated comments can hurt and bullying can lead to heartbreaking situations.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    85kurtz wrote: »

Did he ever ask anyone for advice on how to lose his weight? This is a completely different story than what happens on MFP when people ask for advice, and when they get sensible answers, get hysterical when it's not what they want to hear.

And how long have you been here? What are you talking about when you say "another addict?"
    Does it matter how long I've " been here"? I am talking about addicts, you know people that are addicted to a substance, ie. nicotine, alcohol, heroin, meth. there are so many substances to which people become addicted.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Tea as well, don't forget.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with rude comments or people thinking that your not doing enough weather here or in real life?

I put on my adult pants
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was called rude for writing HALP. I laugh it off. If people are mean to me... That's their lookout not mine.

Sticks and stones sweetie, sticks and stones.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I was called rude for writing HALP. I laugh it off. If people are mean to me... That's their lookout not mine.

Sticks and stones sweetie, sticks and stones.

I got called "nasty" for giving well researched, decent advice. I'd rather be 'nasty' than enabling dangerous behaviour.