Options

Replies

• rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ok. I have opinions just like everyone else on here. I believe the original post was, "how to handle rude comments" I answered her, and the last time I checked, it's not against the law to imagine punching someone, unless that has changed. Get over it already. Geez!

Right, we all do have opinions. But, people come on here all the time and ask for help and then get upset and balk at people who give them advice contrary to what they want to hear, and then everybody else who says what the OP wants to hear gets pats on the back. This is considered rude behavior in my book.
    just imagine that you're sucker punching em in the face and that you're not gonna be hauled off to jail! Works for me!

I personally think it's 100% okay to debate and argue, but violence whether physical or spoken is paying like for like, which as mom used to say, "Two rights don't make a wrong."

You can't expect to post such a volatile response and not have anyone else have an opinion about it. :)

Yup, pretty much. It's the same attitude we see from the people mad that everyone is not supporting every dumb idea they have. They call everyone rude then start cursing them out. Man everyone is so rude, I'll just imagine punching them in the face. Lol.

come on now. You just did the same thing yourself, didn't you? You can dish it out, but you can't take it when someone fights back. How rude of you! Doesn't feel so good, does it now?

What did I do exactly? I don't recall complaining about rude people on MFP. I do recall pointing out the irony in your post.

How does what feel? What was I supposed to feel? My feelings aren't moved by random strangers online because in reality letting insignificant people have control over your emotions is like letting someone rent free space in your head. It doesn't make sense.

you're right. Sorry. It's not worth it to get mad or offended by what somebody says. Life is too short. I realize that now. Thanks
    Oh, and I thought you were saying you were gonna punch somebody in the face, but I see now you were just kidding because you said LOL! I'm sorry, please accept my apologies.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I think a little hint if someone is wondering if they are being too harsh or mean or whatever is to perhaps check how many flags they've received. .. if they total into the hundreds then perhaps there is something to it. ...
    I realise the flagging system here is flawed, but not so much that you're receiving multiple flags regularly for no good reason :wink:

The flagger is usually the OP who doesn't get the answer s/he wants.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think a little hint if someone is wondering if they are being too harsh or mean or whatever is to perhaps check how many flags they've received. .. if they total into the hundreds then perhaps there is something to it. ...
    I realise the flagging system here is flawed, but not so much that you're receiving multiple flags regularly for no good reason :wink:

The flagger is usually the OP who doesn't get the answer s/he wants.

That's what I meant about the "flawed" part. Not every flag received is from one of those posters...

• rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    Gotta love when the rude thread becomes a contest of who can be more 'rude'. Everyone can be a jerk sometimes if u decided to take it that way. The end. Now lets sing kumbiya and hold hands
    I know. I agree. It doesn't get anywhere, does it? I usually just read the posts when people are going back and forth with one another, and now I'm part of it. Hey, everyone makes mistakes. I'm not gonna argue with anyone anymore. This is, afterall, supposed to be a support team.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ok. I have opinions just like everyone else on here. I believe the original post was, "how to handle rude comments" I answered her, and the last time I checked, it's not against the law to imagine punching someone, unless that has changed. Get over it already. Geez!

Right, we all do have opinions. But, people come on here all the time and ask for help and then get upset and balk at people who give them advice contrary to what they want to hear, and then everybody else who says what the OP wants to hear gets pats on the back. This is considered rude behavior in my book.
    just imagine that you're sucker punching em in the face and that you're not gonna be hauled off to jail! Works for me!

I personally think it's 100% okay to debate and argue, but violence whether physical or spoken is paying like for like, which as mom used to say, "Two rights don't make a wrong."

You can't expect to post such a volatile response and not have anyone else have an opinion about it. :)

Yup, pretty much. It's the same attitude we see from the people mad that everyone is not supporting every dumb idea they have. They call everyone rude then start cursing them out. Man everyone is so rude, I'll just imagine punching them in the face. Lol.

come on now. You just did the same thing yourself, didn't you? You can dish it out, but you can't take it when someone fights back. How rude of you! Doesn't feel so good, does it now?

What did I do exactly? I don't recall complaining about rude people on MFP. I do recall pointing out the irony in your post.

How does what feel? What was I supposed to feel? My feelings aren't moved by random strangers online because in reality letting insignificant people have control over your emotions is like letting someone rent free space in your head. It doesn't make sense.

you're right. Sorry. It's not worth it to get mad or offended by what somebody says. Life is too short. I realize that now. Thanks
    Oh, and I thought you were saying you were gonna punch somebody in the face, but I see now you were just kidding because you said LOL! I'm sorry, please accept my apologies.
    @rocknlotsofrolls I think the same way sometimes. It doesn't make you a horrible person to me. Now if you start up a game of Sims 3, create a a multi-Sim neighborhood filled with Sims that represent the IRL people you want to punch in the face, create your own Sim, and go about getting everyone in the pool and deleting the ladder, then there might be a problem.

Not that I've done that.

Ever.

tumblr_lgn2g0eCtq1qgbabho1_500.gif
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I go out and exercise, there is a guy on the street (well, used to be... he moved) but he would make "Fatty" comments to me and I would just ignore it because he was was a jerk, balding, bigger than me and in the middle of a messy divorce and a restraining order from half the block. In other words, he was angry and just looking for taking out on someone... and I was there.

For the most part I ignore 'em be it IRL or on the interweb but sometimes they get under my skin and then, I just try to be the bigger (no pun intended lol!!) person and walk away
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

By that logic you aren't allowed to say anything unless it's all bubbly nice with sugar on top, because someone might feel sad from it.

What's a tired, horse-beaten topic without a strawman?

Because after all, there can't possibly be ANYTHING between being a bubbly sugary giggling moron, and being a complete azzhat.

But I think a ridiculous "Oh fine, then I'll just be completely sugary-disgusting instead"-style nonsense comment was pretty much bound to happen at some point, sooner or later. In this case, sooner.

• rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    thanks zyxst.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options

Actually I was repeating what you basically said. Then laughing.

oh ok. Sorry.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

By that logic you aren't allowed to say anything unless it's all bubbly nice with sugar on top, because someone might feel sad from it.

Because after all, there can't possibly be ANYTHING between being a bubbly sugary giggling moron, and being a complete azzhat.

But I think a ridiculous "Oh fine, then I'll just be completely sugary-disgusting instead"-style nonsense comment was pretty much bound to happen at some point, sooner or later. In this case, sooner.

People will find things to get offended at no matter how you word it. Thanks for not getting the point and... getting offended I guess.
  • MrPlate
    MrPlate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a rule. I don't hang around people who don't respect me. When someone says something to you that you suspect is rude but aren't sure just ask - are you telling me this to help me or to give me a hard time? Anyway, if it is family, I guess I hang around them, but only as much as I have to.
  • LAWoman72
    edited April 2015
    Options

People will find things to get offended at no matter how you word it. Thanks for not getting the point and... getting offended I guess.

1. I'm not offended...that's an odd comment.
    2. Yes, some people will find things to get offended at, just as some people will jump on the "I'm just telling it like it is" bandwagon in order to get a passive-aggressive charge out of slamming the next person/inserting a nonsensical gif/spewing the latest overused phrase, etc. Whatever blows your skirt up, I guess. But yes, you're right, except you forgot the word "some." Fixed that for ya.

• stevencloser
    Options

2. Yes, some people will find things to get offended at, just as some people will jump on the "I'm just telling it like it is" bandwagon in order to get a passive-aggressive charge out of slamming the next person/inserting a nonsensical gif/spewing the latest overused phrase, etc. Whatever blows your skirt up, I guess. But yes, you're right, except you forgot the word "some." Fixed that for ya.

I mean, look at this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10144280/new-vegan#latest
    I've been mentioning it a few times today already because it was the most headshake inducing thread I've seen today.
    There was at worst 1 comment you could see as not nice and it was only making fun of the diet. She chose to get angry at the people correctly telling her it's BS, insulting them, then leaving.
    And these threads don't happen just once a year.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I am so tired of catering to people who get offended, mostly because of their refusal to face facts. . .
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact quote and from where it is, but it went something like "No matter what you say, there's someone, somewhere out there who will hate you for it."
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact quote and from where it is, but it went something like "No matter what you say, there's someone, somewhere out there who will hate you for it."
    I've heard this one. You can please some people some of the time, but you can't please ALL people all of the time.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

I am so tired of catering to people who get offended, mostly because of their refusal to face facts. . .

I am sorry you're so exhausted. Maybe take a break?

Or, you know. Just not answer?

One or the other. Either should work well to take this burden off your shoulders.

• LAWoman72
    Options

I mean, look at this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10144280/new-vegan#latest
    I've been mentioning it a few times today already because it was the most headshake inducing thread I've seen today.
    There was at worst 1 comment you could see as not nice and it was only making fun of the diet. She chose to get angry at the people correctly telling her it's BS, insulting them, then leaving.
    And these threads don't happen just once a year.

So IOW...you're using this same thread over and over again in other threads in order to prove what idiots people can be? My God man, how much time do you have on your hands???

If one particular thread offends you, how about reporting it, if it's reportable?

Or, you know, ignoring it?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Not reading/posting is always an option. I mean....if you're *that* tired....