Your favorite book?

Options

Replies

• LordByproduct
    Options
    I just want to say... I'm so happy that (I'm pretty sure) no one said anything by Ernest Hemingway. I don't care how much critics say his works are wonderful, I dislike every single one of his short stories and books. >___> *lol*

you should read "the breaking point" by Koch. Its an amazing story about what an A-hole Ernest H. was to his circle of friends and wives. all the while a very interesting history of the Spanish revolution and such......
  • AimeeJoe31415
    Options
    The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

I read a lot. Therefore it is hard to narrow it down to just one book, so the book you see here is the one that has made the biggest impression upon me.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Kama Sutra
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So many 'grown up books' listed :tongue:

I think my favorite will always be The Neverending Story :blushing:

I'm getting a library card soon, I used to read so much and I've hardly touched a book in over a year.... it sucks!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy (The Bounty Trilogy) by Charles Bernard Nordhoff, James Norman Hall

Witching Hour & Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Pretty much anything by Edgar Allan Poe

ETA: Also pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss!
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

also love 1984 by George Orwell, the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, and lots, lots more!

I absolutely loved this book, it was my first SK book. I have so many fav's that picking just one is impossible but Dragon rider of Pern started my love of fantasy. I reread it about twice a year! Also love Tolkien, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Mercedes Lackey and many others!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I just want to say... I'm so happy that (I'm pretty sure) no one said anything by Ernest Hemingway. I don't care how much critics say his works are wonderful, I dislike every single one of his short stories and books. >___> *lol*

The Old Man and the Sea is my favorite book of all time. Heretic.
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    Sooooo many, but here are some:

Lolita--Vladimir Nabokov (uncomfortable but the man could write!!!)
    Middlemarch -- George Eliot
    David Copperfield -- Charles ****ens (the first book I read in English)
    The Count of Monte Cristo -- Dumas
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time -- Mark Haddon
    the Perelandra series -- C.S. Lewis
    And the book I've read more than 13 times since high school -- The Lord of the Rings--Tolkien

I'm reading Enders Game just now and liking it a lot.

Oh, and I forgot One Hundred Years of Solitude--Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to pick and absolute favorite, but if I was pinned down to one, I guess I'd say my favorite is Illusions, by Richard Bach :)
    I've given so many copies as presents over the years.

I'm also a huge Tolkien, Douglas Adams, and Terry Pratchett fan. :D
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.

42! :) If you love Douglas Adams, you're likely to love Terry Pratchett as well. :D
  • CharlotteTheCoffeeLover
    CharlotteTheCoffeeLover Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    What I tell everyone my favorite book is = Gone with the Wind, which I did read and it is at the top but what my actual favorite book is The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty....
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.

42! :) If you love Douglas Adams, you're likely to love Terry Pratchett as well. :D

42! :D I cannot read Pratchett in public! I laugh way too much. I absolutely loved "Wyrd Sisters", "Mort", "Guards! Guards!" and the one he wrote with Gaiman, "Good Omens." I even love his children's book, "Where's My Cow?"
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The very first to find it's way into my heart and gave me a love for reading was "Ferdinand the Bull," read to me by my grandpa. He was an amazing narrator and made the book interesting and fun every time he read it. I never tired of it.

My brother captured him on video reading it just before his mind deteriorated and he was placed in a nursing home. He's been gone almost 12 years now and I can still hear his voice reading that book. It will be the first book I read to my grandchildren. I hope I can do it justice!

AWE, what a nice memory! Be sure to do that with your grandchildren. It will be a lifetime memory, just as yours is of your grandfather.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad there are so many readers! I have always had this secret fear that the love of reading would die out and all the next great authors would become sales people or something LOL... Dramatic I know but that's a true fear of mine.

I want to add Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club to this mix of favorites and I had several reminders while reading the thread of some long lost dog eared books in my storage...

Where the red fern grows: Read and re read until it has no covers and the first two pages are missing :)
    The Kite runner: See above
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles: See above the above

There is just nothing like a good read :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I want to add Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club to this mix of favorites and I had several reminders while reading the thread of some long lost dog eared books in my storage...
    Yes...I totally agree with this.

I also read a book called The Red Tent (by Anita Diamant) that was a really great read (its definitely a women's book)
  • MarianneC93
    MarianneC93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh, Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. Seriously incredible and scary.
  • spederse86
    spederse86 Posts: 13
    Options

you should read "the breaking point" by Koch. Its an amazing story about what an A-hole Ernest H. was to his circle of friends and wives. all the while a very interesting history of the Spanish revolution and such......

Haha, nice!! XD
  • spederse86
    Options
    I'm so glad there are so many readers! I have always had this secret fear that the love of reading would die out and all the next great authors would become sales people or something LOL... Dramatic I know but that's a true fear of mine.

Where the red fern grows: Read and re read until it has no covers and the first two pages are missing :)
    The Kite runner: See above
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles: See above the above

There is just nothing like a good read :)

Agreed, reading has always been my most favorite of favorite things to do. X3 <3
  • spederse86
    Options

The Old Man and the Sea is my favorite book of all time. Heretic.

Nooooooo, you're a liar and a dream-spoiler! You just had to say it, didn't you?? ;)
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Memnoch the Devil is one I can read over and over.