Your favorite book?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• sash3619
    sash3619 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just want to say... I'm so happy that (I'm pretty sure) no one said anything by Ernest Hemingway. I don't care how much critics say his works are wonderful, I dislike every single one of his short stories and books. >___> *lol*
    Hm... The man can write. The Old Man and the Sea is classic. I also liked Farewell to Arms. Though, I can tell from his books that he disliked women. But I guess it's another point of view:)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.

42! :) If you love Douglas Adams, you're likely to love Terry Pratchett as well. :D

42! :D I cannot read Pratchett in public! I laugh way too much. I absolutely loved "Wyrd Sisters", "Mort", "Guards! Guards!" and the one he wrote with Gaiman, "Good Omens." I even love his children's book, "Where's My Cow?"

Yes, I love all of those too! Have you listened to the audio books of all the Terry Pratchett books? Most of the earlier books were read by Nigel Planer and the latter half were read by Stephen Briggs. Both are brilliant!
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The Collector by John Fowles

THIS!!

This book was phenomenal when I read it in High School, and I haven't been able to find it in bookstores since then. I know I could buy online, but there's just something in that moment when you find your dream book on a real bookshelf and think "thank god this book is real and it wasn't just a dream!"

I recommend this book to everyone who's ever thought about reading a book. Not even joking.. I mention this book to anyone who talks about books with me! Haha. I'm seriously crazy right now just thinking about it...

Sorry...... :blushing:
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood"
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    'Thoughtless' by S.C. Stephens. I am a sucker for romance/erotica novels. Totally my dirty little secret.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    'Thoughtless' by S.C. Stephens. I am a sucker for romance/erotica novels. Totally my dirty little secret.

Title noted...
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I loved "The Shadow of the Wind." Great book.
    Mine would probably be Steinbeck's "Of Mice And Men." Steinbeck has always resonated with me.

Now, for fun, I read Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" at least once every couple of years. My favorite book of the 5 book "trilogy" is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe." I started reading Adams in high school and just fell in love with his storytelling.

42! :) If you love Douglas Adams, you're likely to love Terry Pratchett as well. :D

42! :D I cannot read Pratchett in public! I laugh way too much. I absolutely loved "Wyrd Sisters", "Mort", "Guards! Guards!" and the one he wrote with Gaiman, "Good Omens." I even love his children's book, "Where's My Cow?"

Yes, I love all of those too! Have you listened to the audio books of all the Terry Pratchett books? Most of the earlier books were read by Nigel Planer and the latter half were read by Stephen Briggs. Both are brilliant!

I haven't listened to them, but now I want to. :bigsmile: Heading over to audible.com in 5...4...3...2...
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    les miserables by victor hugo. Unabridged.
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    I was a sick kid, heart was all full up of crazy, so while everyone else was outside playing, I was reading the entire young adult section at my local library, ha.

A Wrinkle In Time was my first favorite book. Then Bridge to Terabithia, then The Phantom Tollbooth, then Watership Down. I love The Prophet, The Little Prince, Little Women, The Dark is Rising series, everything C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. Enders Game was a great read. I've read a thousand contemporary and classic titles, but nothing really compares to those first few books that just dug in deep as a kid.

Right now, I'm on a huge non-fiction kick. I find a lot of good reads on BrainPickings.org

(And uh, yea, I might like trashy romances, too.)
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time really learning to read. In third grade, I picked up "Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims", and I was hooked. Now, reading is my favorite passtime.

Some of the great books I've read are

The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway
    The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
    Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
    Night - Elie Wiesel
    The Shipping News - E. Annie Proulx

Oh there are many others, but that is a short list of books that have captured my imagination and kept me up late.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Favorite book? Is it possible for me to pick a favorite?......um no!!!!! I LOVE to read!