Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options
I think most of us here agree on some basics, such as that you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. But what are the aspects of weight loss and health that you personally have questions about, wonder about, or have your own hypotheses about?

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I usually eat moderate amount of carbs (~100 net), often have a high level of activity, and I have symptoms that seem similar to "keto flu." So a hypothesis that I have is that I am getting repeatedly depleted (especially when active) but not actually switching into ketosis because my carbs are not that low, and I have days that I am closer to 150-200g on a regular basis.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I've found some very interesting studies on rats weighing less when eating the same number of kcals but within a constricted time frame rather than at any time, so I am very curious about what accounts for the difference. My understanding is that the circadian rhythms are also more defined, so I wonder if sleep and hormonal balance is improved and/or if activity level increases.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some of mine:

I have read over the years that eating a high fiber diet can slightly reduce the number of calories that your body absorbs because everything is moving through your intestine faster. I have no idea if this is true or if it has ever been tested.

Why do people have such dramatically different experiences with which types of foods cause satiety?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I, like you, moderate my carbs, and don't know that I've ever been in ketosis. Even when I low carbed. I don't know what it feels like vs. normal feeling or what keto flu feels like vs. a normal bad day I might have due to my arthritis.

So now you have me wondering about it, because my carb intake fluctuates since I'm a vegetarian, and I tend to have higher carb days on days when I'm eating beans for my main meal.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    We see pretty terrible weight loss maintenance outcomes in formal research studies, I wonder how this compares to people just making changes on their own or informally.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I wonder if, or how much, I'm affected by adaptive thermogenesis.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    We see pretty terrible weight loss maintenance outcomes in formal research studies, I wonder how this compares to people just making changes on their own or informally.

Question: are most of these studies done on people with significant weight to lose? Or do they do studies on people who are losing 20-30 pounds to see how they maintain it?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Some of mine:

I have read over the years that eating a high fiber diet can slightly reduce the number of calories that your body absorbs because everything is moving through your intestine faster. I have no idea if this is true or if it has ever been tested.

Why do people have such dramatically different experiences with which types of foods cause satiety?

Interesting, I had never heard that about a high fiber diet. Some thing I have heard (perhaps from Michael Pollan) is that high fiber may facilitate healthy gut bacteria which may impact us in various ways.

I like your question about satiety... hmmm... I also wonder with this to what extent placebo comes into play.
  • girlviernes
    Options

Question: are most of these studies done on people with significant weight to lose? Or do they do studies on people who are losing 20-30 pounds to see how they maintain it?

Typically they will be people in the obese range, I think an average BMI of 35 would be fairly typical. Researchers will want to maximize effects by starting with people with more to lose. However, a typical weight loss outcome in these studies would be 5-10% of starting weight (with a few people losing significantly more than that)

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Some of mine:

Interesting, I had never heard that about a high fiber diet. Some thing I have heard (perhaps from Michael Pollan) is that high fiber may facilitate healthy gut bacteria which may impact us in various ways.

I like your question about satiety... hmmm... I also wonder with this to what extent placebo comes into play.

That's a really good thought about the placebo effect! I find that I have to focus on my protein intake to get enough and when I sit down to high protein meals I'm very aware of it. I have to question anything I notice about my satiety from that point forward. If I'm correct, even being aware of the placebo effect doesn't make one immune to it.

• girlviernes
    Options
    I, like you, moderate my carbs, and don't know that I've ever been in ketosis. Even when I low carbed. I don't know what it feels like vs. normal feeling or what keto flu feels like vs. a normal bad day I might have due to my arthritis.

So now you have me wondering about it, because my carb intake fluctuates since I'm a vegetarian, and I tend to have higher carb days on days when I'm eating beans for my main meal.

This is one of the reasons I toy with the idea of keto - just having the knowledge of what it feels like.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not a question or hypothesis, but it amazes me how little we actually know about nutrition and weight loss. Take virtually any topic and I can go out and get studies which offer contradictory results.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Typically they will be people in the obese range, I think an average BMI of 35 would be fairly typical. Researchers will want to maximize effects by starting with people with more to lose. However, a typical weight loss outcome in these studies would be 5-10% of starting weight (with a few people losing significantly more than that)
    I was 35.89. I'm going to be a special snowflake who maintains his loss.

• girlviernes
    Options

We are all going to be special snowflakes, dammit!
  • girlviernes
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Not a question or hypothesis, but it amazes me how little we actually know about nutrition and weight loss. Take virtually any topic and I can go out and get studies which offer contradictory results.

This is very true, although, also part of the nature of scientific progression.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

We are all going to be special snowflakes, dammit!

QFT!

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How come there are times when I overeat way over my calorie goal and lose weight? Of course, the reverse on that - gaining weight while eating at a deficit?

Can we get better definitions for find activity levels? WTF is considered "moderate" exercise?

Once you have it, does acanthosis nigricans ever go away?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    How come there are times when I overeat way over my calorie goal and lose weight? Of course, the reverse on that - gaining weight while eating at a deficit?

Can we get better definitions for find activity levels? WTF is considered "moderate" exercise?

Once you have it, does acanthosis nigricans ever go away?

I have heard that acanthosis nigricans can go away but I'm not sure how common that is. I hope so!

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I wonder about the physical changes that happen when we strength train in a deficit. I know I'm not building muscle mass -- especially as I am not lifting heavy, I am doing bodyweight exercises. I do feel changes in my body (especially in leaner areas, where there's less fat over the muscle) though. These changes persist even if I stop working out for a few days (as in, now, because I'm sick). Does neural adaptation change anything in a way that I could feel? Is it all in my head -- maybe an effect of being able to better activate / more likely to properly activate muscles when I do things, or just because I want to? Wouldn't affect my actions any, but I am curious.