Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Question, when we ladies get extra hungry around our cycle, is our TDEE actually higher for a few days?

Yes. Lyle McDonald did a good research review article all about how menstrual cycles affect energy intake. From it:
    The major increase in energy expenditure occurs also during the luteal phase (when hunger is increased) with increases of 2.5-11.5% having been reported.

This is what part I find especially interesting:
    Instead, starting a diet following menstruation or in the late follicular phase when food cravings and hunger are less may make compliance easier. They also suggest that increasing total energy intake 5-8 days before menstruation (when hunger/energy expenditure are at their highest) may prevent a suboptimal caloric intake (which can make folks lethargic) and help with long term adherence to a diet. While I doubt most females would be willing to break their diet 5-8 days out of every month, at least raising calories slightly to avoid loss of control due to out of control hunger might be a worthwhile consideration.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    Okay so I gained about an inch in my late 20s, early 30s, I'm wondering if weight gain could have caused actual height gain, and will I shrink with weight loss?
    No, not unless the soles of your feet are quite chubby :smiley:
    But you will lose height as you age and the spongy thingies (technical terms) in your vertebrae compress.
    I also wonder if my feet will reshape and I'll fit shoes better.
    Apparently this does happen.
    Maybe the soles of your feet get thinner too.
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My feet changed shape. They were always long and really narrow until I got fat, and then they got chubby, and since then have gone back (mostly) to the old shape.

Sadly, my tendency toward flatness that got worse when I was fat has not gone away, but then my feet are basically just like my dad's and his are now flat without having been fat. (I need to see an podiatrist, probably.) This has kicked me up a full size in shoes and hasn't changed--I just need narrow again.

My height hasn't changed, however.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But you will lose height as you age and the spongy thingies (technical terms) in your vertebrae compress
    Gravity and time are a pretty lethal combo.

"You can't win, 'cause time can't lose."

• jemhh
    Options
    I got shorter after having my daughter. Maybe she was a tiny calcium-sucking vampire and bled my bones dry? I don't know but every time I go to the OB's office they measure me 1/2" shorter than before. I am going this week for the first time in a year so I'm waiting to see if losing weight made me taller. I have a feeling it did not.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Okay so I gained about an inch in my late 20s, early 30s, I'm wondering if weight gain could have caused actual height gain, and will I shrink with weight loss? I also wonder if my feet will reshape and I'll fit shoes better.
    I guess if the soles of your feet or, less likely, the top of your head gained weight/fat you'd have gained some height.

As far as I can tell, I'm still the same height but people say I look taller. Maybe it's just being thinner or maybe I don't slouch as much.

Well the top of my head does not seem particularly puffy :) I wonder if having more visceral fat could stretch out your spine a bit. Or, maybe I just had a late growth spurt :wink:

• girlviernes
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Question, when we ladies get extra hungry around our cycle, is our TDEE actually higher for a few days?

Yes. Lyle McDonald did a good research review article all about how menstrual cycles affect energy intake. From it:
    The major increase in energy expenditure occurs also during the luteal phase (when hunger is increased) with increases of 2.5-11.5% having been reported.

This is what part I find especially interesting:
    Instead, starting a diet following menstruation or in the late follicular phase when food cravings and hunger are less may make compliance easier. They also suggest that increasing total energy intake 5-8 days before menstruation (when hunger/energy expenditure are at their highest) may prevent a suboptimal caloric intake (which can make folks lethargic) and help with long term adherence to a diet. While I doubt most females would be willing to break their diet 5-8 days out of every month, at least raising calories slightly to avoid loss of control due to out of control hunger might be a worthwhile consideration.

Oh so interesting... I do tend to increase about 300-500 kcals on those days, and when I don't I am prone to overdo it.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Okay so I gained about an inch in my late 20s, early 30s, I'm wondering if weight gain could have caused actual height gain, and will I shrink with weight loss?
    But you will lose height as you age and the spongy thingies (technical terms) in your vertebrae compress.
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>

I have shrunk an inch and a half. I used to be 5'3".

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I worry about being overweight even though everything else says I'm healthy.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>

Was that a getting older thing or a losing weight thing?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>

Oh, it was a getting older and having disc degeneration thing.

My feet shrinking is a losing weight thing.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>

Hmm, I'm 51 yo and I'm the same height as when I graduated high school. It's probably coming though. :/
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I've now confused myself
    <retreats>

Hmm, I'm 51 yo and I'm the same height as when I graduated high school. It's probably coming though. :/

I guess 3 things are inevitable in life, death, taxes, and (if you live long enough) shrinkage.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Alright, question of the day (and I may post this separately)... I've been reading lately about intermittent fasting as a treatment for insulin resistance, which has peaked my interest in it. However, when I try to skip a meal I go kinda crazy. I mean, I love my meals and have always loved my meals. I eat a big breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. So I'm wondering, would I actually adjust, or am I just the type of person that IF is not a good fit for? I also think there are benefits to eating a very stable meal schedule (e.g., in terms of cortisol release, circadian rhythms, etc.). In addition, part of the reasoning behind IF is that you have extended time without insulin release, thus I wonder if having a fat-based or low-carb meal could also achieve a similar effect (e.g., bacon for breakfast). And to use IF for a therapeutic benefit, how long would you need to stick with it?

Also, what is the research behind the 16:8 protocols, is there actually a difference between 16:8 and 14:10 or 12:12?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I haven't done IF intentionally, but I improved my insulin sensitivity with LC and exercise. If you go LC, IF becomes almost second nature -- you'll have less hunger (mostly due to the higher satiety of the foods you're eating), and you can easily skip a meal or two.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I haven't done IF intentionally, but I improved my insulin sensitivity with LC and exercise. If you go LC, IF becomes almost second nature -- you'll have less hunger (mostly due to the higher satiety of the foods you're eating), and you can easily skip a meal or two.

I eat moderate carb now. I have thought about LC, but my issue is that I don't want to adopt a plan that I don't intend to stick with, and basically I prefer to have flexibility in my diet, and I really like foods with carbs. However, I have thought about LC on a temporary basis specifically as a therapeutic technique, but I haven't seen clear guidelines on how long is needed.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Same here. I need to do this long term, so I didn't go crazy low. About 100g, which allows me to eat all sorts of good stuff and just exclude grains and processed sugary junk. I find it very easy, and my cravings for pizza and similar goodies has pretty much vanished.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Isn't 14:10 the recommendation for women? I only have heard of 16:8 and 14:10. But I am not super knowledgeable about IF. It's not a good fit for me so I haven't really tried it more than attempting to eat a later breakfast every now and then. I get too hungry and uncomfortable and can't think clearly toward the end of the fasting portion. Due to that, I can't say that I've given it a really good attempt to work for me and I can't see myself doing so in the future.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Okay so I gained about an inch in my late 20s, early 30s, I'm wondering if weight gain could have caused actual height gain, and will I shrink with weight loss? I also wonder if my feet will reshape and I'll fit shoes better.

I think it depends how much flesh you have on your fingers/hands/feet. I have always had little flesh there--boney. My ring size doesn't change when I lose or gain weight (even a lot). Pregnancy though did cause my feet to grow 1/2 size each pregnancy. I heard that the hormones cause the ligaments to stretch and at least for me, they never went back. (Don't know if that is true for everyone.)

My height has been the same since I was 12. Maybe shrinking a little as I age (not that I will ever admit that).
  • girlviernes
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Isn't 14:10 the recommendation for women? I only have heard of 16:8 and 14:10. But I am not super knowledgeable about IF. It's not a good fit for me so I haven't really tried it more than attempting to eat a later breakfast every now and then. I get too hungry and uncomfortable and can't think clearly toward the end of the fasting portion. Due to that, I can't say that I've given it a really good attempt to work for me and I can't see myself doing so in the future.

14:10 I could actually do I think, although the problem would be when having dinner out with others which tends to be later.

I probably should do some lit review in this area, but I'm being lazy about it.