Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Alright, question of the day, do we have more arguments and jumping on in this forum due to being hangry?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This forum doesn't seem any more acrimonious than others I've been part of, and less than some. (I used to be part of a book discussion forum, and some of the arguments there were pretty hilarious.)

And I used to post on a site that was mostly political too (no, no arguments at all, why do you ask?) ;-), and hilariously one of the most contentious topics ended up following a discussion (it was based around 2-person discussions that people would comment on) with Taubes.

I don't read the blog Lawyers Guns & Money much anymore, but some of the biggest threads there would always be about Paul Campos' posts about the obesity crisis (or lack thereof, in his view).

So I think it's just the topic.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No, it's not because we're hangry.

It's because people have dearly held beliefs/assumptions/presumptions and those beliefs differ.

This place is NOTHING compared to a parenting forum.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    My previous forums experiences were largely around Tori Amos (long story), every once and a while something would come up but I guess everyone shared the basic belief/assumption/presumption that Tori Amos was amazing and that generally helped people to get along.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think it's due to too much sugar. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My previous forums experiences were largely around Tori Amos (long story), every once and a while something would come up but I guess everyone shared the basic belief/assumption/presumption that Tori Amos was amazing and that generally helped people to get along.

Not all fandom forums stay that nice. Doctor Who fans can get ugly. I'm convinced that at least 50% of them secretly loathe it.

It's all the old Who rulez/new Who droolz stuff. Oh! I forgot the other part... girls smell and the Doctor can't have a penis.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Not all fandom forums stay that nice. Doctor Who fans can get ugly. I'm convinced that at least 50% of them secretly loathe it.

It's all the old Who rulez/new Who droolz stuff. Oh! I forgot the other part... girls smell and the Doctor can't have a penis.

I will admit to being annoyed with the whiny, "OMG the Doctor is too old now!" posts. The Doctor has two hearts, I like to think he has two penises as well. :laugh:

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I will admit to being annoyed with the whiny, "OMG the Doctor is too old now!" posts. The Doctor has two hearts, I like to think he has two penises as well. :laugh:

I'm 52. Capaldi's Doctor can come at me any time with that fancy Gallifreyan equipment :laugh: I think he's dead sexy. I thought Eccleston and Tennant were sexy too. I just wanted to bake Matt Smith cookies. He was too young.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Try the Harry Potter fan forums and say that Hermione and Harry should have got together and see how that works out for you.
  • maidentl
    Options

I'm 52. Capaldi's Doctor can come at me any time with that fancy Gallifreyan equipment :laugh: I think he's dead sexy. I thought Eccleston and Tennant were sexy too. I just wanted to bake Matt Smith cookies. He was too young.

I think they're all sexy. Capaldi too! Eccleston is my Doctor. :heart: :heart: Every time, I am heartbroken and think I can't love the next and every time, they win me over in about half an episode.

• Tubbs216
    Options

I think they're all sexy. Capaldi too! Eccleston is my Doctor. :heart: :heart: Every time, I am heartbroken and think I can't love the next and every time, they win me over in about half an episode.
    I'm old. Tom Baker was my Doctor (when I was 6 and would watch from behind the couch because the Cybermen were very scary). I did like David Tennant too, though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about Dr. Who or Tori Amos forums. But I have been on greyhound and Prius and parenting forums and I'd have to say that MFP is pretty par for the course. If I had to rank them in order of general craziness I would say that parenting was craziest, Prius least crazy, and MFP and greyhounds are somewhere in the middle.
  • maidentl
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I know nothing about Dr. Who or Tori Amos forums. But I have been on greyhound and Prius and parenting forums and I'd have to say that MFP is pretty par for the course. If I had to rank them in order of general craziness I would say that parenting was craziest, Prius least crazy, and MFP and greyhounds are somewhere in the middle.

Parenting forums can be downright scary.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    rofl to think that MFP and greyhound forums are equivalent.

Now, are we talking greyhounds the dogs or the busses?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Good thread.

Is the high frequency of hypothyroidism of all sorts seen here related to dietary practices (restriction or high green vegetable diets, at some point)?

Bacterial and viral influences of insulin related sensitivity?

Do dietary elements influence gut bacteria sufficiently for this to be a concern in general diet?

Are allergic reactions activated by exercise stress, and if so, do they influence tissue repair?

What dietary elements might influence early signs of rheumatism that I might be experiencing?

How valid are the theories of habit modification and how applicable are they?

Whole bunch around mTOR signaling, etc...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lol. The dogs! Just don't show up and say you're using an extendi-leash or letting your dog out in an unfenced yard. Then everything hits the fan ;)

I have heard that the DCMom forum is especially wild.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    I was on a cake decorating forum for a while. It was exactly like you'd imagine - lots of delicate ladies baking cakes for Jesus - except for the business forum, where people actually told it like it was. Many people were reduced to tears on that forum!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Something else I wonder about, is BMI skewed at all by height? For example, I can remember many occasions where I was quite surprised by short people whose BMI was a lot higher than I expected based on their appearance. I also wonder if shorter people in general have a slightly harder go of it since they get the same portions at restaurants, in packaged foods, etc but need fewer calories than taller people.

I've read that it is actually skewed in the other direction. In other words, BMI is much too slightly generous to people who are very short and much too barely too strict on those of us who are very tall.

Interesting!

Yes and no.

BMI is calculated with a power of 2 parameter. When work was done to correct this and propose a new BMI, I looked at the skew - it results only in a few % points changes.

Corrected the quote above.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Good thread.

Is the high frequency of hypothyroidism of all sorts seen here related to dietary practices (restriction or high green vegetable diets, at some point)?

Bacterial and viral influences of insulin related sensitivity?

Do dietary elements influence gut bacteria sufficiently for this to be a concern in general diet?

Are allergic reactions activated by exercise stress, and if so, do they influence tissue repair?

What dietary elements might influence early signs of rheumatism that I might be experiencing?

How valid are the theories of habit modification and how applicable are they?

Whole bunch around mTOR signaling, etc...

Great questions. I'm curious as to your thoughts on habit modification theories and if you have suspicions/speculation about what would make them more or less applicable to weight loss/maintenance/fitness.

• maidentl
    Options
    Some celebrity forums can get a little nuts. People start to get a little possessive and creepy. The Supernatural fandom is batshit insane. I steer clear of those people even though I love the show.