What is YOUR least favorite part of having a healthy lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Finding out that I bruise rather easily.

I train BJJ and muay thai, and I get bruises everywhere. Arms, legs, chest, you name it. Then I have to explain to coworkers that no, my boyfriend doesn't hit me (unless we're boxing. He's got one hell of a hook lol).

I'm not sure if it's normal, cause I don't see anyone else get as banged up as I get.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »

I train BJJ and muay thai, and I get bruises everywhere. Arms, legs, chest, you name it. Then I have to explain to coworkers that no, my boyfriend doesn't hit me (unless we're boxing. He's got one hell of a hook lol).

I'm not sure if it's normal, cause I don't see anyone else get as banged up as I get.

My legs look like I've been in a cage match pretty much all the time. I always got a few bruises here and there but since I started deadlifting it's kinda ridiculous.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Well... I have to wash a lot more dishes due to all of the weighing and measuring. But it's a pretty minor inconvenience that has a great payoff so...eh.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not being able to eat like i used to? and my that i mean quantities that i used to, because i still eat the same foods, just a lot less ;) LOL okay wine. i miss wine. i like to eat my calories ;)

but i love working out, love having to go down clothing sizes, love seeing the scale go down, love how i feel, love how strong im becoming, etc etc etc
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lack of spontaneity if meal plans change. I can't always go out for ice cream if my friends want to on a whim because I didn't plan ahead. Things like that, other than that, smooth sailing.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    getting through the week ends !
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The worst things about getting fit and healthy? Ok definitely portion control. Still feeling hungry after eating. Even being hungry after going way over my limits some days. And also how slow it takes to get results. But those tiny results are keeping me motivated! And I have a lot to look forward to as I make progress.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Feeling stressed out about restaurant meals...whether or not the menu lists calorie counts. When I go to a place like Cheesecake Factory where even the items on their "lighter" menu have 600-700 calories...which is half my daily intake...I panic a bit.

Laundry...it's bad enough having three little boys filling hampers every week...add in the extra clothes from my near-daily workouts and I feel like the washer and dryer are always going. I shouldn't complain...it's not like I am lugging a basket down to the river to beat the clothes against rocks...but the laundry just never ends. As soon as I take of whatever I was wearing while actually doing laundry, there's more laundry.

Vanity sizing. There are stores in which I can no longer shop because even their smallest sizes are too big for me. I am short, and have a tiny frame, and find it frustrating that manufacturers have changed their sizing so that what might have been a size 4 a decade or two ago is now labeled a 0 (I don't even remember size 0 existing when I was in high school in the 80s).

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrr size 0!!!! That annoys me to no end.

The only size 0, 00 we have in Australia are babies clothing!!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Having to limit my favorite foods. I just cannot eat three slices if pizza if I want to lose weight. While the results will ne worth the sacrifice, such as it is, is just not a whole lot of fun.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    jessieleah wrote: »
    Life was a lot less stressful when I wasn't aware of just how many calories were in all the things I used to eat! But being fat sure made life pretty crappy.

This. Still being new, the stress of figuring our just exactly what to feed myself and my family, and the time it takes to plan, prep, weigh, log, etc. is a little more stressful with small children and my schedule. More so than when I wasn't thinking about it and just poo uttinf our meals together. I tend to not eat dinner until 9 or later anymore bc I can't get it all done before I have my kids in bed- and most of what I make now, my little picky eaters won't eat all of, so I'm making multiple meals a night so everyone is fed. But it sucks to be at and feel crappy about yourself too, so this is just my new norm now.
  • kbornman21
    kbornman21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Currently, my least favorite thing is driving an hour to the gym. I don't have enough motivation or will power to do at home work outs and when I go to the gym, I mentally switch gears and I'm there to workout without distractions. I live in a small crappy town right now so I drive a ways to get to a nicer gym that has a daycare for my daughter. I just have to remind myself that going to the gym 6 days a week is being dedicated and showing myself that I'm serious about losing weight.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Ryudori wrote: »

My legs look like I've been in a cage match pretty much all the time. I always got a few bruises here and there but since I started deadlifting it's kinda ridiculous.

I hate working out in long pants, but on deadlift days, I have to cause my shins get all scraped and bruised.

Power cleans too. 2 small bruises slightly above my collar bone.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My least favourite part: changing. I work out on my lunch break. I wear professional attire for work-blouse, cami, skirt, nylons (yes nylons-there are workplaces that stil require them). The dressing & undressing and redressing is my pet peeve. But I look so smokin' hot from the workouts and feel so amazing it's worth the effort

Not nylon-specific, but there was a time that I could only workout during lunch hour. YES - gigantic pain in the butt. Especially getting sweaty and then having to meet with people after. Having to account for that extra changing time does cut into the workout!

My changing time pre and post workout is likely 10-15 minutes total. I joined a gym across the street from my office to eliminate travel time.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I feel guilty because we don't really buy any fun kid food. I don't want her to grow up obese like I was, but, I do want her to experience a full life with all the silly little treats that are part of childhood, just in moderation. Unfortunately, she has a crappy mom who will eat ALL the kid food instead of eat in moderation.

You AREN'T a "crappy mom". You are giving your child the best gift possible - a healthy upbringing for her, and a healthy life for you. The choices you are making are POSITIVE not negative and you know that. Give yourself tons of credit.

Before I got fat and unfit my wife and I were both active, fit, healthy parents. Our kids did not grow up with junk food or soda or regular trips to McDonalds. Trust me they grew up just fine and neither likes junk food now. Sure they'll eat a burger and have a soda, but it isn't food they crave. Not once in all the time they were growing up (now 15 and 18 - super fit and athletic) did our positive lifestyle choices cause them angst with their friends. If a party happened to have junk food or was held at a McD, we didn't object.

As for soda... we buy it for holiday occasions. It's like cake. It's a treat, not something to have every day. The kids can learn this.

The kids internalise that such treats are meant to be exceptions, not the norm. That's a very positive lesson that might just last a lifetime. What a gift you are giving your child. :smile:

That is an excellent way to bring up kids :smiley:

I grew up in the 70's. Pop came in big bottles, was purchased for "company" and poured into 3-4 oz glasses. It wasxa treat. The same with chips. My town didn't get McD's til I was 16. We ate in restaurants on super special occasions, otherwise meals were scratch made at home. I had a wonderful upbringing! No deprivation!
  • danielles19862015
    danielles19862015 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    the amount of time spent planning/chopping things up/lugging crap around - whether that be all my tupperware or my gym kit. it is just a faff. but then eating badly makes me feel like crap so it seems a fair trade off. just wish healthy living was as easy and convenient as living badly. the way our society is set up eh?
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    YES to the laundry! I swear I'm always washing clothes and towels, trying to manage my hair as well from working out.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Being around people who don't get it.

Yes!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    Being around people who don't get it.

Yes!

Double yes!! I can't talk to my husband about anything diet/exercise or fitbit without getting on his nerves :disappointed:
    Which is another reason I'm thankful for MFP
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Not having enough hours in the day to do the workouts I want AND recover adequately AND have sufficient couch-and-cat time.