• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    kampshoff wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals :s

140 calories. Sounds like the cornerstone of IIFYM.

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym

I think you may have misinterpreted the Y in IIFYM.

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.

OK, to be honest, I cannot figure this out. I could have a Big Mac and still hit my macros with no problem. No cheat involved. And I'm a 40 yr old 5' 2" woman. I guess you must have a really significant deficit going on or something.

I do agree that if I want a higher cal/fat meal, a Big Mac is about the last thing I'd choose. Much tastier options out there. There's a fried chicken sandwich that a local place makes, for example. Probably half again as many calories as a Big Mac. I mean the things are ginormous with at least 10 oz of chicken breast fried perfectly crispy plus the mayo, the buttered and toasted rolls (and lettuce and tomato). But oh, so, worth it.

Until someone gives shows me numbers where a Big Mac can fit in your macros (where fat is between 20-30%) and still hit both carbs and protein then arguing with me is really pointless. I have already given everyone my diet numbers (2500 calories on average 40-40-20) and although I could make it fit (need two protein shakes, very lean beef and spinach to do it, like I said in my 2nd post which led to my secondary point of why do all that sacrifice for a Big Mac?) I just don't see it fitting. Till then my point is closed

(Why everyone is defending a Big Mac is beyond me. And added was still off 5 g based on my original argument but still, just don't see it)

My fat's set at 25% and my calorie goal is only 1600 and I could do it easily.

o19e4wuewp20.png

That's coffee, a protein bar, and a green smoothie for breakfast, a lemon/rosemary/garlic chicken breast with a sweet potato and broccoli for lunch, and the Big Mac for dinner.

I don't even like Big Macs but it's just silly to say it can't fit.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

Don't blame IIFYM on stupid people. 34g of fat, 47g of carbs and 24 g or protein doesn't fit nobody's macros haha

I suggest you go ask some of the IIFYM proponents around here who brag about how they always make room for McDonald's, ice cream, cheesecake, and anything else they want.

I will say this, yes you can portion control ice cream and etc to meet your daily requirement and yes it allows you to not completely give up the foods you love but come on! 34 g of fat! Even if you followed 40-40-30 carbs/protein/fat, most have already blown through a third if not half of their daily fat intake on the Big Mac alone while only getting maybe a tenth of protein and maybe, MAYBE a quarter of carbs. You would have to eat nothing but pure rice and the leanest of meat for the rest of the day to meet your macros after a Big Mac.

Don't get me wrong, my weekends are full of cheat meals and I do my best to follow IIFYM, but I also know that if I plan to down a pizza and some wine, I better be only drinking protein shakes, lean beef and spinach or else that's day is a fail for IIFYM. Same goes for this Big Mac and diet cola discussion.

Get butt hurt all you want but Big Macs are typically too big for IIFYM, just call it what it is, a cheat day

Sorry to latch on your response JPW, not directed at you. More so at everyone else who loves disgusting Big Macs. And FYI, I usually eat 20% fat on at 2500 calrorie diet which is 500 calories of fat a day, which equates to 56 g of fat a day. Even if I did the basic 30% for maintenance I would only be allotted 83 g.

Instead of a Big Mac 34 g in one sitting if rather have some 10 oz herbed seasoned chicken, triple the protein and less than half the fat or even better...get off my lazy *kitten* and cook a REAL burger for similar stats of the chicken.

#realiifym

If I wanted to fit a Big Mac into my daily intake -- and I certainly could -- I would be doing it such that it fits my macros, not yours. It would still be "real" IIFYM, whatever that is; it wouldn't be a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" or whatever you would like to call it.

(And I don't even like Big Macs. I'm a Jalapeno Double kind of guy, on the rare occasion I go to McD's.)

More power to ya, I just provided my stats to prove my point, the math behind and show that it Big Macs don't typically fit (I'm a bigger dude too, 6'2" 232 lbs. Also Jalapeño doubles are awesome and are a better substitute for a Big Mac, similar protein, 11 less g of fat and 12 less g of carbs). My main point is, a Big Mac barely fits or if it does you have more sacrifices for the rest of your meals to make up for it. There are far better cheat options than a Big Mac that give you more bang for macros.

OK, to be honest, I cannot figure this out. I could have a Big Mac and still hit my macros with no problem. No cheat involved. And I'm a 40 yr old 5' 2" woman. I guess you must have a really significant deficit going on or something.

I do agree that if I want a higher cal/fat meal, a Big Mac is about the last thing I'd choose. Much tastier options out there. There's a fried chicken sandwich that a local place makes, for example. Probably half again as many calories as a Big Mac. I mean the things are ginormous with at least 10 oz of chicken breast fried perfectly crispy plus the mayo, the buttered and toasted rolls (and lettuce and tomato). But oh, so, worth it.

Until someone gives shows me numbers where a Big Mac can fit in your macros (where fat is between 20-30%) and still hit both carbs and protein then arguing with me is really pointless. I have already given everyone my diet numbers (2500 calories on average 40-40-20) and although I could make it fit (need two protein shakes, very lean beef and spinach to do it, like I said in my 2nd post which led to my secondary point of why do all that sacrifice for a Big Mac?) I just don't see it fitting. Till then my point is closed

(Why everyone is defending a Big Mac is beyond me. And added was still off 5 g based on my original argument but still, just don't see it)

77d5ee399377245b36017d8ea07137b4.png

It's really not that hard mate. That's The big mac, a meal with marinated chicken breast, potato and veggies, 50 grams of chocolate and a good amount of Quark (that's like high protein cottage cheese), flavored with jam and milk to be like yoghurt as snacks. Feel free to substitute the ebil chocolate or jam for something else, like fruit and more veggies.

I would agree however carbs 36% protein at 28% and fat at 35%. 35% fat is a little high for my taste especially near 1:1 with you carbs and over your protein and what I have seen myself for macros that work, But if those percentages work for you, to each their own.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

#realiifym

It's really not that hard mate. That's The big mac, a meal with marinated chicken breast, potato and veggies, 50 grams of chocolate and a good amount of Quark (that's like high protein cottage cheese), flavored with jam and milk to be like yoghurt as snacks. Feel free to substitute the ebil chocolate or jam for something else, like fruit and more veggies.

I would agree however carbs 36% protein at 28% and fat at 35%. 35% fat is a little high for my taste especially near 1:1 with you carbs and over your protein and what I have seen myself for macros that work, But if those percentages work for you, to each their own.

Guessing you'd have a coronary with my macros
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

#realiifym

Hm? That's 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs. Calculated via iifym ~0.8 g protein per pound, ~0.35 g fat per pound and the rest carbs, then taken the closest match since MFP doesn't let me just put in numbers for my macros.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

#realiifym

I think that's why it's called If It Fits Your Macros...I personally think 40% carbs is too high and 20% fat is way too low. Fat is good for you and many people find that it's better to go with a higher fat% when their calories are low because fat helps satiate and regulate. A person at 1200 calories per day would be getting very little fat if they stuck with 20%.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

That's coffee, a protein bar, and a green smoothie for breakfast, a lemon/rosemary/garlic chicken breast with a sweet potato and broccoli for lunch, and the Big Mac for dinner.

Now this is actually a pretty decent 48% carbs, 28% protein and 24% fat (ratio seems like you were shooting for 50-30-20) with the only reason you missed was because you went a tad over on fat (gotta blame the Big Mac for this one, funny thing the mc double that I said earlier in this thread as a substitution, would have put you on point). Definitely see some sacrifices being made for that Big Mac (leading to my second point why for a Big Mac) but missing mark for both carbs and protein for 4% combined to go to fat is not hitting your macros. Also 50-30-20 typically is a ratio used for bulking which if that's your aim, go nuts and dirty bulk away on Big Macs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

#realiifym

I have my fat set at 40%. Oh noes, I'm doomed!!
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

Hm? That's 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs. Calculated via iifym ~0.8 g protein per pound, ~0.35 g fat per pound and the rest carbs, then taken the closest match since MFP doesn't let me just put in numbers for my macros.

My bad, put the sugar in instead of the fat. You're right 40-30-30. Good stuff fair, retract statement.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited April 2015
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

Now this is actually a pretty decent 48% carbs, 28% protein and 24% fat (ratio seems like you were shooting for 50-30-20) with the only reason you missed was because you went a tad over on fat (gotta blame the Big Mac for this one, funny thing the mc double that I said earlier in this thread as a substitution, would have put you on point). Definitely see some sacrifices being made for that Big Mac (leading to my second point why for a Big Mac) but missing mark for both carbs and protein for 4% combined to go to fat is not hitting your macros. Also 50-30-20 typically is a ratio used for bulking which if that's your aim, go nuts and dirty bulk away on Big Macs.

First of all, you realize you don't have to hit exactly the number of grams right? You'll drive yourself crazy with that. Most people do fat and protein as minimums but since you seem to be aiming for under on fat I did that. Second, I did not go over on fat. I used 42 of 44 allowed grams. Like I said, my fat is set at 25%. I also went over on protein by 11 grams. If I wanted to hit closer on that I'd do a smaller piece of chicken and have another veggie.

I'm not bulking, and I would be sad if those were bulking calories.

And yes, you can't eat a Big Mac and a bunch of other stuff. But that's true of anything. Tonight I had goat cheese so I sacrificed avocado. IIFYM doesn't mean you can eat everything you want all at once, and no reasonable person would interpret it that way.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

First of all, you realize you don't have to hit exactly the number of grams right? You'll drive yourself crazy with that. Most people do fat and protein as minimums but since you seem to be aiming for under on fat I did that. Second, I did not go over on fat. I used 42 of 44 allowed grams. Like I said, my fat is set at 25%. I also went over on protein by 11 grams. If I wanted to hit closer on that I'd do a smaller piece of chicken and have another veggie.

And yes, you can't eat a Big Mac and a bunch of other stuff. But that's true of anything. Tonight I had goat cheese so I sacrificed avocado.

I do get that however if I'm off that much for all of my macros I don't pretend that I hit them. Successful days are usually 0-2% off and that's usually only between solely protein and carbs. 2% off carbs, 2% off protein and 4% off fat is a fail. And no I don't drive myself crazy. Chipotle is my friend, my takeout place has my steak tips on lock, and I love myself a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's like you better believe (very risky though similar to this whole Big Mac discussion) and when my girlfriend and I go out yea there is usually wings and/or a flatbread involved and hella wine but if I know my percentages are out of whack that is a CHEAT DAY, even if it is only off 3% or more. But again someone already proved me wrong with their 40-30-30 so yes I do retract my statement of it fitting.
  • stevencloser
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

And yes, you can't eat a Big Mac and a bunch of other stuff. But that's true of anything. Tonight I had goat cheese so I sacrificed avocado.

I do get that however if I'm off that much for all of my macros I don't pretend that I hit them. Successful days are usually 0-2% off and that's usually only between solely protein and carbs. 2% off carbs, 2% off protein and 4% off fat is a fail. And no I don't drive myself crazy. Chipotle is my friend, my takeout place has my steak tips on lock, and I love myself a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's like you better believe (very risky though similar to this whole Big Mac discussion) and when my girlfriend and I go out yea there is usually wings and/or a flatbread involved and hella wine but if I know my percentages are out of whack that is a CHEAT DAY, even if it is only off 3% or more. But again someone already proved me wrong with their 40-30-30 so yes I do retract my statement of it fitting.

So, being off by more than 1-3 grams is a fail in your opinion? And you say you don't drive yourself crazy?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

Check out the sample day I posted - it fits your macros 40-40-20 almost perfectly and is filled with a ton of food which hits both macro and micro needs. Sorry I didn't post a screen shot of it, I was doing it from my phone. You keep ignorning the YOUR part in IIFYM. Just because YOU choose to have only 20% fat and feel like it's cheating to have a Big Mac or some wings doesn't mean that other people do. To expect everyone to believe the same as you would not be IIFYM. Also, IIFYM people generally don't say that they've cheated by having whatever they choose.

FTR, I'm not an IIFYMer per-se. I aim to meet my macros, but mine are custom and different from yours and I really don't care if I go over one day or not. I also don't care about 1 day out of 7. I like to look at my whole week and make sure my micros are where I want them. The macros usually fall in to place.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

So, being off by more than 1-3 grams is a fail in your opinion? And you say you don't drive yourself crazy?

You have to care about both the grams and percentages because it's all up to calories in versus calories out at the end of the day for any diet or eating lifestyle. 3 grams of fat to me is barely anything as that is 27 calories versus my 2500 a day. But for the examples I've seen based on 1500-1700 that is a very different story in terms of percentages. The crazy part is claiming IIFYM and not measuring your portions and planning and choosing your meals wisely. I am dying to get to July/August when I get to maintain/bulk because that shoots me back to 3000 again but even with that it's about making wise picks, good substitutions and eating the things that allow you to do your activity while still maintaining a "normal" lifestyle. This whole thread rebuttable kind of deflected my original point where I stated that you can't blame IIFYM on people who choose Big Macs everyday just because it "fits" because it doesn't necessarily "fit", that's an excuse to eat *kitten* once a day while hating you life for the rest of it.

::steps off soapbox, turns backs, sighs and walks away::
  • stevencloser
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

You have to care about both the grams and percentages because it's all up to calories in versus calories out at the end of the day for any diet or eating lifestyle. 3 grams of fat to me is barely anything as that is 27 calories versus my 2500 a day. But for the examples I've seen based on 1500-1700 that is a very different story in terms of percentages. The crazy part is claiming IIFYM and not measuring your portions and planning and choosing your meals wisely. I am dying to get to July/August when I get to maintain/bulk because that shoots me back to 3000 again but even with that it's about making wise picks, good substitutions and eating the things that allow you to do your activity while still maintaining a "normal" lifestyle. This whole thread rebuttable kind of deflected my original point where I stated that you can't blame IIFYM on people who choose Big Macs everyday just because it "fits" because it doesn't necessarily "fit", that's an excuse to eat *kitten* once a day while hating you life for the rest of it.

You got presented by 3 or 4 examples of a big mac EASILY fitting into a 1500-1700 calorie diet. You don't need to put it in quotation marks. It does fit.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

#realiifym

o19e4wuewp20.png

Who exactly is doing this? I haven't seen any examples of that in this thread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This thread used to be fun. Now we're arguing with some guy who doesn't even know how IIFYM works.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I liked this thread before it stopped being about stupidity and just became about being obtuse.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I liked this thread before it stopped being about stupidity and just became about being obtuse.

I dunno, I think the anti-big mac guy is a shining example of what this thread is about!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I dunno, I think the anti-big mac guy is a shining example of what this thread is about!

Fair point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This thread used to be fun. Now we're arguing with some guy who doesn't even know how IIFYM works.

Quick: who has a co-worker who has said something stupid about food lately?

(Mine are being generally sensible, darn them!)