The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    One day someone told that me that if you eat while sitting down, food automatically turns to fat. Food can only be digested if you eat while standing up (cause you know, gravity). I just nodded. Also, your metabolism shuts down after a certain time and doesn't come back on until exactly 6am. Same person. lol

There were a few good Star Trek references so far in this thread, so let's keep that going

22215-Picard-double-facepalm-meme-wh-Tx3k.jpeg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One day someone told that me that if you eat while sitting down, food automatically turns to fat. Food can only be digested if you eat while standing up (cause you know, gravity). I just nodded. Also, your metabolism shuts down after a certain time and doesn't come back on until exactly 6am. Same person. lol

There was someone who posted a couple of months back whose friends had told her that if she walked around whilst eating she would burn twice the calories of whatever it was. Sadly she was asking if it was true.

ETA, the post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10113308/walking-and-eating-burns-more-calories
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I found out today that a lady I work with thinks that the reason I eat cottage cheese and hot sauce for breakfast every morning is because it speeds up my metabolism and that's why I'm losing weight. She's now eating hot sauce on a bunch of stuff.

I eat cottage cheese and hot sauce for breakfast because I like cottage cheese and hot sauce.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our infamous High Level bridge.
    high-level-bridge-and-lrt.jpg

I've never seen it not covered in snow lol. I moved from Edmonton
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

Not that that helps me a lot! ;-)

How can I get a conclusive answer on this very important question?

I would have thought it was eating how your sign eats too. I therefore choose to be a herbivorous fish.
    I'm a Leo. A very, very confused Leo.
    By one methodology I should be eating Lions? Or cats? Ew. Also, that might make grocery shopping difficult.
    By another methodology I should be eating what lions or cats eat.
    It is imperative to me that someone clarify this. Or maybe I should just stick with eating for my blood type?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our infamous High Level bridge.
    high-level-bridge-and-lrt.jpg

I've never seen it not covered in snow lol. I moved from Edmonton
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So not to be argumentative, but I think it's interesting that people seem to be thinking that we should EAT our sign (i.e., Pisces eats fish, Taurus eats beef). As a Sagittarius, I'm not really into this idea (although I guess it goes back to how as a Type B I should be drinking the kumis), but my initial assumption was that we would eat as our sign would eat.

I would have thought it was eating how your sign eats too. I therefore choose to be a herbivorous fish.
    I'm a Leo. A very, very confused Leo.
    By one methodology I should be eating Lions? Or cats? Ew. Also, that might make grocery shopping difficult.
    By another methodology I should be eating what lions or cats eat.
    It is imperative to me that someone clarify this. Or maybe I should just stick with eating for my blood type?

I think you're just looking for an easy out, because you're too lazy to run down a Zebra and bite it's azz.

ETA: Having said that, I'm a Libra and here in Australia Libra is the leading brand of feminine hygeine products, so maybe I should just keep my fool mouth shut.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Something that has always boggled my mind, can someone explain the concept behind ordering a large Big Mac value meal and a diet coke?

She told me it was to save on cals...

I always ordered Diet Coke because I liked the taste more than regular coke. Maybe that makes me weird. The only 'regular' soda I'd drink was Mt. Dew.
    That's what my hubby does. He does not like the taste of reg. Coke.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    seric2000 wrote: »
    I have a coworker who refuses to eat meat. I told her it was nice that she was a vegetarian.
    She said "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't eat anything with muscles because I read that muscle weighs so much more than fat and I don't want to ingest all that heavy meat muscle". (shovels in the macaroni and cheese)
    Go ahead...be flabbergasted.

:| .....
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My boss says that during the week of the full moon, or right before it-you can eat all you want and not gain weight. I just smile and nod.

This is true. It is because of the pull of the minds gravity being at it's strongest.
    My aunt has stated that this is the only time she travels since you can travel faster during that week for the same reason.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I know someone who became a vegetarian but hated vegetables. Yes she was in the hospital after about 2 months due to fainting spells.

Thats my cousin. She has been vegan for at least 20 years (since she was 7years old - by her own choice). She only eats grain based things (bread, pasta, etc..) and fruit.

We had a friend's kid staying with us for a few weeks. She decided she was vegetarian any time she didn't like what was for dinner. To her, vegetarian = can have cereal for dinner. She was miraculously cured of her vegetarianism when we had pepperoni pizza, but it came back the next night when we had chicken.

This reminds me of my old office--which was largely Jewish, even, although the catering staff obviously was not--where a vegetarian friend of mine kept complaining that they'd never have any vegetarian options at lunch. During one such interaction he was informed that the salad was a vegetarian option, and he pointed out that it had bacon bits. Apparently the catering manager seemed flabbergasted that bacon bits counted as meat.

We're they Bacos? Coz they're vegetarian!

Bac-Os-Bits_1099x618.jpg?mh=320&mw=500

Nope, actual bacon.

The vegetarian complained about the bacon but the Jewish workers did not? A catering manager that clueless needs a new line of work.

Do all Jewish people avoid pork, or just orthodox? I thought it was an orthodox thing.
  • fr3smyl
    Options

Can someone explain to me the weird "don't eat past 9pm" thing? I've heard that a few times and I'm feeling search engine lazy right now.

You would have to watch a movie called Gemlins to truly understand. It's a documentary about what happens if you eat after 10pm. I've been careful ever since. ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Speaking of weird things... Neil De Grasse Tyson posted on Twitter that you can burn 1200 calories a month if you drink ice cold water, because of the extra calories that your body uses to put it back to body temperature.

Hmm. Always thought it was broscience, but that dude typically knows what he's talking about.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    @Alatariel75 libras are required to balanced their food. You must eat hot and cold together. Light food and dark food together. Cooked and raw together. But it must at the same time out of scales.
    Yesterday one of my coworkers told me she has to eat every two hours because she is RAVENOUS after two hours.

Does she know the definition of ravenous? ;)

Has anyone disappeared from your office without explanation?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Has anyone else been told that smelling food will take away the craving for it? If so and it worked for you how long did you smell the food before your craving was satisfied?

LOL no.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

If that's so then the cinnamon roll and cookie shops at the mall are doing it wrong when they pump the smell of their baking goodies out into the mall.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

I don't think I'd mind eating horse but that's illegal in the US.

"Pet broscience" is a whole other can of worms

I'm not eating scorpions.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Speaking of weird things... Neil De Grasse Tyson posted on Twitter that you can burn 1200 calories a month if you drink ice cold water, because of the extra calories that your body uses to put it back to body temperature.

Hmm. Always thought it was broscience, but that dude typically knows what he's talking about.

It's true, but obviously 1200 in a month is not exactly a lot. 1 Calorie to heat 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

It's true, but obviously 1200 in a month is not exactly a lot. 1 Calorie to heat 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius.

But you do realize that there's going to be a whole new diet trend now, right? The, "I don't need to eat less or modify my diet, I can just drink gallons of ice water!" diet
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Yesterday one of my coworkers told me she has to eat every two hours because she is RAVENOUS after two hours.

She's probably literally starving!

(Ducking and running.)

Probably hitting starvation mode she needs to eat more (oh no not this one AGAIN)
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

But you do realize that there's going to be a whole new diet trend now, right? The, "I don't need to eat less or modify my diet, I can just drink gallons of ice water!" diet

I just can't understand why I'm not losing weight. I'm drinking 5 Slurpees a day which are even colder.