Documentary Fed up

Options
Noreenmarie1234
Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Have any of you seen this new netflix documentary? What do you think? I'm a little skeptical of blaming everything on sugar and not that people are not active enough and eating too many calories...

Replies

• mlawrence911
    mlawrence911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I saw it several months ago and was swayed to think that I needed to drastically reduce sugar in my diet. The "Fed Up" website was ridiculously strict in what they would & wouldn't allow... I mean ridiculous. It was around Lent and I "gave up" sugar - but what does that mean? I stayed away from adding white sugar to anything, I baked with honey and agave... rather pointless and a big fuss. I stuck with it until Easter when I binged like a maniac on chocolate bunnies.

I really don't like Katie Couric. I don't know much about Laurie David - but this seemed like a passionate project for them. Eh - I'm over it, but I admit to being very stirred up after I saw it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on Netflix and that includes some whack foreign movies and Russell Brand. So, that's a pretty high, or low. bar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This thread will not end well.

This has been discussed before.

I just enjoyed some gelato. I'll still lose weight this week, because I'm under my calories. I've been doing this the whole time I've lost 37 pounds.

Excess calories cause weight gain.

If sugar is the cause of the excess calories, then sure, it's a problem. If cheese is the cause of excess calories, then that's the source of the problem. Whatever you eat to excess will be a problem, because at the end of the day, it's consuming too many calories that will lead your body to pack on the pounds.

I wasn't eating sugar when I gained a good bit of my weight. It's really popular right now to demonize sugar, but it oversimplifies a very complicated problem, and "documentaries" like Fed Up throw a veneer of junk science over the issue and only confuse the whole issue.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there was sugar in the peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream I just had. And in plenty of stuff I've eaten for the last year. Yet, I'm down about 105 pounds.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there was sugar in the peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream I just had. And in plenty of stuff I've eaten for the last year. Yet, I'm down about 105 pounds.

Peach cobbler...

1843569705_drooling_homer_785344_xlarge.gif

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Did I hear peach cobbler??
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Imagine the best crust you've ever had. Double that. Add some cinnamon sugar. Then add in some homegrown tree-ripened peaches preserved from last summer. Not as epic as fresh, maybe, but good enough to make anything on the shelves of a grocery store weep in shame.

Plus homemade ice cream with some Madagascar and some Mexican vanilla.

And it's not even summer yet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.

Lol
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    in for the peach cobbler
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Imagine the best crust you've ever had. Double that. Add some cinnamon sugar. Then add in some homegrown tree-ripened peaches preserved from last summer. Not as epic as fresh, maybe, but good enough to make anything on the shelves of a grocery store weep in shame.

4f198f6c186133519a000893.jpg?w=374
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think it does bring up a valid discussion about America's reliance on processed packaged food.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

Seriously, you're killing me. I did not need to read this while in PMS mode, lol.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on Netflix and that includes some whack foreign movies and Russell Brand. So, that's a pretty high, or low. bar.

/end thread
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »

OMG, I want to make this! I don't want to eat it I just want to make it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

OMG food coma!
    yxa8xdi9a924.jpeg
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Don't be surprised if I randomly show up at your door begging for a bite! Good lord, that sounds amazing!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Show off.

:-)

Really good peach cobbler (with ice cream, of course) may be my favorite dessert. It has competition, but it's up there.
This discussion has been closed.