• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

I think it's a shame they can peddle this as a "documentary."
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For a while there I bought into the whole low carb thing. Not quite as strict as Atkins but I had convinced myself that if I eat over 100g of carbs I'd gain weight. The only problem was I have a really sweet tooth. I'm not particularly fond of cheese, meat, cream and the like, so I was forcing myself to eat high protein, high fat foods and trying to talk myself into enjoying them. I was so crabby I would be mean to everyone.

The longest I managed to stay on track was around a month. During that time I dropped around a stone and a half (21lbs). Probably because all I was eating was iceberg lettuce and steamed chicken with a little olive oil.

So yes low carb did work but looking back it wasn't enjoyable and I don't think it could ever become a lifestyle change for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on Netflix and that includes some whack foreign movies and Russell Brand. So, that's a pretty high, or low. bar.
    :bigsmile:
    I'm pretty sure there was sugar in the peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream I just had. And in plenty of stuff I've eaten for the last year. Yet, I'm down about 105 pounds.
    :bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »
    For a while there I bought into the whole low carb thing. Not quite as strict as Atkins but I had convinced myself that if I eat over 100g of carbs I'd gain weight. The only problem was I have a really sweet tooth. I'm not particularly fond of cheese, meat, cream and the like, so I was forcing myself to eat high protein, high fat foods and trying to talk myself into enjoying them. I was so crabby I would be mean to everyone.

The longest I managed to stay on track was around a month. During that time I dropped around a stone and a half (21lbs). Probably because all I was eating was iceberg lettuce and steamed chicken with a little olive oil.

So yes low carb did work but looking back it wasn't enjoyable and I don't think it could ever become a lifestyle change for me.

Working means you kept the weight off and maintained easily

and I would bet my eldest child that you didn't

because low carb - in the first few weeks = water weight manipulation
  • laropmet
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nope I did not. I got extremely bored on my steamed chicken salads and I wanted something tasty so I went back to all the foods that made me fat. I can't really remember but I think it took me less than 6 months to gain it all back, so I'm sure a lot of it was water weight.

However I think if you are the type of person who craves grilled avocado covered in cheese then low carb could work for you, but only because it's mostly low cal foods you are eating. (Avocado and cheese, not so much). I do think it's possible to gain weight on a high sugar diet like the documentary above suggests, but I can also look at the twinkie diet and understand how the results were created.

I kinda believe that everyone needs to create their own diet that will suit their own lives.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Nope I did not. I got extremely bored on my steamed chicken salads and I wanted something tasty so I went back to all the foods that made me fat. I can't really remember but I think it took me less than 6 months to gain it all back, so I'm sure a lot of it was water weight.

However I think if you are the type of person who craves grilled avocado covered in cheese then low carb could work for you, but only because it's mostly low cal foods you are eating. (Avocado and cheese, not so much). I do think it's possible to gain weight on a high sugar diet like the documentary above suggests, but I can also look at the twinkie diet and understand how the results were created.

I kinda believe that everyone needs to create their own diet that will suit their own lives.

I agree

Would you like my eldest child anyway? ;):bigsmile:
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.

That is impossible, quite honestly. I'm going to surmise you are overestimating your caloric burn, or underestimating calories consumed, or a combination of both.
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's really popular right now to demonize sugar, but it oversimplifies a very complicated problem...

Yes, this. Thank you!

• ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

I think it's a shame they can peddle this as a "documentary."

Thanks for sharing this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.

That is impossible, quite honestly. I'm going to surmise you are overestimating your caloric burn, or underestimating calories consumed, or a combination of both.

It's just that not losing weight in a specific week is basically meaningless. Some obvious possibilities, though:

When you overeat fat and sugar you also tend to be eating worse in general, including more food with sodium=water retention.

If you tend to be lower carb and add lots of sugary things=water retention.

More constipated.

High sugar and fat foods are often purchased or obtained in some way so that the precise calories are known and often are not weighed, so are easy to overestimate. For example, if we get sweets with my Friday work lunch I have to estimate about what seems to me a small piece of cheesecake, but more likely than not I underestimate (pretty sure I did this last week). Same with eating some sweets at a dinner party or the like. This is a huge factor, I suspect, for those who claim they lose worse when eating sweets--I suspect sweets are underestimated a lot.

For many women there's a connection between the TOM and increased consumption of sugar and fat. And also a connection between the TOM and increases in water weight.

Less likely, the TEF of processed carbs and fat are both lower than for less processed carbs and, especially, protein. If these weeks also have macros that are thrown off, so that protein consumption is down, it's possible there's a small effect on overall CICO, although absent some kind of extreme eating (all cake, all the time!) it seems unlikely to have much of a difference. I think if anything it's more likely to leave someone less satiated and overeating in general, perhaps combined with poor logging.

I suppose you could be more slothful if not eating well, depending on how extreme the poor eating is, again.

I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
  • laropmet
    Options

I agree

Would you like my eldest child anyway? ;):bigsmile:

emmmm Thanks for the offer but I think i'll pass... :s

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are a perpetual motion machine and can create energy from nothing. You have not only blown the laws of physics out of the water but solved humankind's energy problems and this will be the end of world hunger and many wars. You really deserve the Nobel prize(s) you will be receiving.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is as simple as saying that added sugar in food is causing obesity. Is that part of the problem? Yes. But no one is forcing people to eat that stuff and no one is truly addicted to sugar. The real problem with added sugar is that it increases the calorie density of food while the visual and fullness clues indicate that people have eaten less than they have. But we can't blame it all on the food industry. We've all been around people who say, "here, have another cookie." We are the ones who decide to sit in front of the TV watching food ads. We are the ones who choose to eat out instead of cooking a meal at home. And many children are obese because their parents are a bad example.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    lynndot1 wrote: »

OMG, I want to make this! I don't want to eat it I just want to make it!

Okay so you make it and I'll eat it. It looks amazing!!! Does anyone know the recipe?

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »

Okay so you make it and I'll eat it. It looks amazing!!! Does anyone know the recipe?

Just watch the video.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of sugar in Captain Crunch but the energy that ones body spends in repairing the roofs of CC eaters mouths offsets the calories in the sugary cereal. Its a win/win. B)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »

lol, the recipe is in the video. I love to bake, I'd bake all day if I could. It's so much fun!
  • laropmet
    Options
    And many children are obese because their parents are a bad example.

I think this is what everyone means when they talk about genetics making them fat. For years I went around saying my whole family is fat, they are all diabetic and prone to heart disease why fight the inevitable. It's completely true....except for the one relative who has been the exact same size since high school. Is he the genetic anomaly, or (more likely), is he the one who doesn't eat like junk food is on sale. He doesn't have a particularly healthy diet, he eats a lot of pastry based food. But he does eat it in much smaller amounts than i do.

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thank you Timithyfish! Your's is the most intelligent thing I have seen or heard regarding the "obesity crisis" EVER! It seems to run in cycles. Right now it is demon sugar, a few years ago it was eggs, fats, etc. My girlfriend went on the Atkins diet and was eating pounds of bacon a week--after all it is low carb. She had a physical and her doctor freaked! I worked at Starbucks for a time and people would come in asking for the "diet" drink. When asked it was a latte made with heavy cream. Care to guess how many calories was in that 20 oz sugar laden coffee? I believe each person has to feed themselves in the way that works for them, "dieting" to lose x number of pounds then going back to your bad habits does nothing but create the yo yo effect. Stop demonizing specific foods, eat for life and enjoyment and keep a balance.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are a perpetual motion machine and can create energy from nothing. You have not only blown the laws of physics out of the water but solved humankind's energy problems and this will be the end of world hunger and many wars. You really deserve the Nobel prize(s) you will be receiving.
    Holy condescension Batman!! This assumes that the human body is a simple machine with simple processes without taking into account thousands of years of biological adaptions aimed at survival or individual metabolic and hormonal variation. The fact is, your body doesn't concern itself with modern aesthetics, it isn't worried about if you're happy with your weight; it's primary aim is survival and body fat equals survival in the face of a scarcity of food. The body has the ability to regulate it's processes given different inputs.

Hormonal differences and individual metabolic variation do not violate the laws of thermodynamics.
This discussion has been closed.