Drop calories or do cardio? Which would you prefer?

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Do "cardio" to strengthen your heart and lungs. IMO, it's a lousy idea to exercise so that you "can eat more."

CICO has worked for oodles of centuries. Work more, eat more. Eat more, work more.

• auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    mtvstaff - are you alright??Bahahaha :D I was like 'say what??' after reading your maths section (ow, I wagged that class heaps in my Form 4 year) then was slightly bemused with the Intermittent Fasting, cat pic-physiology-biology sections - krak up! But I do understand what you're saying from your post on page 1. In answer to your question in the title though, I love cardio!!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Put it this way. Which is longer, a minute in the microwave, or a minute on the treadmill. To me, I can wait for food if I have to. But every single time I do cardio I'm counting down the seconds until I can stop....

I hear ya. This is one reason I avoid the treadmill whenever possible and run outside. No glowing timer silently mocking you because only 12 seconds have passed since you last checked it. If you must run inside, cover that smirking clock with your towel. Time your workout with music (8 songs roughly equals half an hour) or a TV show or something else. Anything but that hateful glaring electronic demon of discouragement.
  • mtvstaff
    mtvstaff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mtvstaff wrote: »
    @mtvstaff i still don't know what your "concept" is.

Then move on. :)

Or you could try explaining it?

There is enough now to explain my stance on the approach.
    auntyp147 wrote: »
    mtvstaff - are you alright??Bahahaha :D I was like 'say what??' after reading your maths section (ow, I wagged that class heaps in my Form 4 year) then was slightly bemused with the Intermittent Fasting, cat pic-physiology-biology sections - krak up! But I do understand what you're saying from your post on page 1. In answer to your question in the title though, I love cardio!!

Proof is in the Pudding :D
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Who thinks that if you eat your calories in a smaller window vs eating them evenly spread out the whole day makes a difference or not? For example go to bed at 10 pm and don't eat from 10pm that night till say 16 - 20 hours after. Or wake up at 7 am the next day and eat your calories evenly spread. WHO THINKS THE RESULT WILL BE SAME SAME IN TERMS OF HOW YOU WILL LOOK OVER SAY A 2 MONTHS? :) maths says calories in vs calories out. What do hormones say and results say?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Where? I haven't read anything to say what you actually do and why. And why it's different or better than whatever else is out there.

• mtvstaff
    Options

Where? I haven't read anything to say what you actually do and why. And why it's different or better than whatever else is out there.

I'm wearing them. Ouch.

• jecsantorreslopez
    jecsantorreslopez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maaan, MTVstaff, I understand what you mean. And yeah I'd choose less food than do cardio, ANY day lol. But I HAVE to run cuz my job requires it :'(
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Maaan, MTVstaff, I understand what you mean. And yeah I'd choose less food than do cardio, ANY day lol. But I HAVE to run cuz my job requires it :'(

I just wanted people to think about both I'm no way anti cardio and will use it for competition to go ultra lean if necessary . But i feel people can sometimes forget to use their own body as a fat burning weapon extending your fasting period from sleep like in IF. It really works. Since I have used it its made my life and goals so easy. Eating the same calories spread over a day vs creating larger gaps in my eating took me from 13-14% to 8 - 10%. I ate the same dam calories! See. You wont find that in the maths. I Just want It to be easy for others to "if they hadn't thought about it already". I'm not the evil one here. Ahaha a :)
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    During weight loss mode, I'd rather do cardio and eat more calories. Now that I'm in maintenance, I'd rather give up the calories and not do cardio. (I'm a strength training girl.)

Yup do what works for you :) Gota b happy to keep the wheels turning :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited May 2015
    Options

I just wanted people to think about both I'm no way anti cardio and will use it for competition to go ultra lean if necessary . But i feel people can sometimes forget to use their own body as a fat burning weapon extending your fasting period from sleep like in IF. It really works. Since I have used it its made my life and goals so easy. Eating the same calories spread over a day vs creating larger gaps in my eating took me from 13-14% to 8 - 10%. I ate the same dam calories! See. You wont find that in the maths. I Just want It to be easy for others to "if they hadn't thought about it already". I'm not the evil one here. Ahaha a :)

So why can't you do cardio, eat more calories, and do IF at the same time?

And why are you making out that your "secret" is IF.... That ain't a secret, or as complex as your twisted non-explanations are making it sound
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've read through all the comments on this post and I want to see if I'm understanding. Because I'm not sure if I understand BMR correctly. And maybe someone can help me understand by explaining.
    BMR is your # of calories in a sedentary lifestyle. I don't do much during the day, I don't work standing up, and I don't exercise much, with me so far?
    To MAINTAIN my current weight I could eat 2500 calories. Not exercising and not losing.
    To LOSE 2 lbs a week I'm supposed to eat 1500 calories. Still not exercising.
    But if I work out, burning 400 calories jogging, I then get to eat 1900 calories to lose 2 lbs a week.
    Or would I rather continue NOT doing exercise and stick with the 1500 calories? Is that the question? Or is my BMR even lower than 1500?
  • jecsantorreslopez
    jecsantorreslopez Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah I've done IF before to drop from 192lbs to 175lbs. That was without cardio. I started IF again, with cardio this time, to see if I can go from my current weight (180lbs) down to 165lbs. Trying to get to 10% bf as well
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    During weight loss mode, I'd rather do cardio and eat more calories. Now that I'm in maintenance, I'd rather give up the calories and not do cardio. (I'm a strength training girl.)

Yup do what works for you :) Gota b happy to keep the wheels turning :)

So why can't you do cardio, eat more calories, and do IF at the same time?

And why are you making out that your "secret" is IF.... That ain't a secret, or as complex as your twisted non-explanations are making it sound

Where did I say secret? Lol

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I should also note that for everyone I know doing the lifestyle change, weight lifting has been the thing that got their excess fat off and kept it off. Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system (duh lol) and so we should do it, but yet lifting is the unsung hero of weight loss if you ask me.
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Yeah I've done IF before to drop from 192lbs to 175lbs. That was without cardio. I started IF again, with cardio this time, to see if I can go from my current weight (180lbs) down to 165lbs. Trying to get to 10% bf as well

Good luck bro you'll get there! :)

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Who thinks that if you eat your calories in a smaller window vs eating them evenly spread out the whole day makes a difference or not? For example go to bed at 10 pm and don't eat from 10pm that night till say 16 - 20 hours after. Or wake up at 7 am the next day and eat your calories evenly spread. WHO THINKS THE RESULT WILL BE SAME SAME IN TERMS OF HOW YOU WILL LOOK OVER SAY A 2 MONTHS? :) maths says calories in vs calories out. What do hormones say and results say?

Could very well make a difference.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10146486/can-meal-frequency-make-a-difference-appears-if-protein-is-high-enough-it-can#latest

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've done IF before to drop from 192lbs to 175lbs.

Sorry, newbie here but unafraid to ask questions: "IF" ?

• livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Yeah I've done IF before to drop from 192lbs to 175lbs.

Sorry, newbie here but unafraid to ask questions: "IF" ?

Intermittent fasting. There are different timings, but a common one is 16:8. 16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating "window".