• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Habaneros? Endorphins. Oh, never mind.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hard candies? Is anyone really that into those? I suppose some might be. For me if you are talking about foods that would be hard to moderate I think cookies, brownies, cake, pie, ice cream, etc. I can moderate those, for the most part, but I see the struggle. Hard candies, blah.

I'm not into hard candy - but jellybeans, sour patch kids, starbursts, and skittles all taste good to me - and all of them are all sugar/no fat.

I can eat them moderately - but I also have no problem eating cookies, brownies, cake, pie, and ice cream moderately.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I personally do not think this is actually sugar in it self. It is a behavior to grab the bag, the box or container of something yummy already processed and ready to eat.. ie Twinkiis, donuts, hostess cakes, chocolate, potato chips, cheetos, doritos, and again cookies, ho ho's, they are at an arms length anywhere and everywhere, gas station, vending machines, right there at the checkout counter, they are even displayed in the Toilet Tissue isle...

When I was a kid I did this with homemade cookies.

In fact, I distinctly recall enjoying the mixture of just butter and sugar, although that sounds disgusting now. (Oddly enough, I wasn't fat as a child and also didn't have a huge sweet tooth in general--I hated sugary cereal (still do, don't see why people like that stuff, ugh), and by about age 10 would have said that my favorite food was steak, followed by salmon.

Why do people always assume that we are talking only about foods that one can buy at the gas station?

Humans like sweet tastes. It's natural. Doesn't make it an addiction, of course.

I also loved butter and sugar as a child. When my mom was baking, I would always try to steal as much of that mixture as I could. Fat mixed with sugar has always been my favorite. I don't really care about sugar alone. I was always the girl who was taking the frosting everyone else scraped off their cake.

For me it was butter and brown sugar. And I always scrape at least half the frosting off - it's too sweet for me now.

On topic: I don't believe that sugar is an addictive substance. I think claiming sugar addiction is often used as a way to take the responsibility of your poor choices out of your hands. If it's an addiction, it's not your fault, you really can't help yourself.

I do believe, however, that some people that claim sugar addiction have psychological/emotional issues with food and binging, and likely do need help sorting through those. Their chosen poison is often sugar, because it tastes delicious. All my opinion, of course.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I don't blame any one componont for overindulging in something. I suppose I am "addicted" to cream, sugar, vanila, because I do love me some ice cream.

I call BS on any food "addiction"

I agree and I call BS on any food "addiction" as well!
    If this is true than yay me... I choose to eat healthy/clean foods so I guess I am addicted to that. It's got nothing to do with addiction and everything to do with will power and/or discipline. If you want to give up sugar, give up sugar. If you like it, eat it.

Careful there, though. There is a subset of people for whom food addiction might be an appropriate way to phrase what's going on, and for them, it would be a clinical diagnosis of Binge Eating Disorder. This would not be just someone who says they eat a box of cookies, mind you.

There's current literature to support this thinking and way of phrasing things, and again, it's not something that's really up for self-diagnosis.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »
    There are a lot of studies regarding the link between sugar and dopamine... Not that those studies change anything but there is science behind someone saying they are "addicted" to sugar.

I started at almost 300lbs... and have NEVER started a thread saying I was addicted to sugar or fat or any of that...

like someone said...
    TX_Rhon wrote: »
    Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification.

Dopamine response means jack, though. Pet a puppy? Dopamine.

Stub your toe? Dopamine!

I am pretty sure I am addicted to petting puppies though. I just can't stop!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

True, but I don't know too many people downing sugar by the spoonful. So there's more to it than JUST sweetness

Maybe it's the combination of the sweetness AND the fats (note that both frosting & cupcake filling also have fat).

That's the point the OP was making--that the foods mentioned usually have both. I was just pointing out that people will generally recognize the sweet craving over the fat craving.

Please discuss

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I'm not sure where you are going here. Don't you think that most people associate sugar with sweetness?

But if you were to say i'm addicted to sugar that doesn't also mean i'm addicted to sweetness, even though they may be associated. They claim to be addicted to an actual compound, not a taste

I think that a lot, if not most, people in the world use "sugar" and "sweetness" interchangeably.

So they are ignorant?

Back on topic, find me a self proclaimed sugar addict that cannot moderate their intake of all sugars

I don't think that they are ignorant. I think that they are following a fairly colloquial use of either term.

I don't care if people claim to be addicted to sugar. It doesn't affect me in any way and if it did bug me, no amount of discussing it is going to change the way people talk about their behaviors so I'm not going to waste my time on it. It's like the guy who wants people not to use the term "cutting" when talking about losing fat. Not going to happen. And the people who complain when people confuse "lose" and "loose". Waste of breath/typing effort. I could play whack-a-mole all day when it comes to correcting people on this stuff but I don't because it's not worth the effort.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Please discuss

My son loves all the cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts and cakes and will eat butter straight up but has yet to dip a spoon into the sugar bowl. He's kind of a weirdo.
    When I was a kid, I ate sugar sandwiches, but I needed butter to keep the sugar from falling out. Good times.

Did you make the sandwiches with bread or cookies?

My brother used to pour sugar straight into his milk because he didn't like the texture of cereal.
    Bread. When I messed with cookies it was to make Double Stuf oreos long before there was such a thing, by taking off one side of two Oreos, throwing the extra wafers to the dog, and sticking the Oreos together.

For cereal, I ended up with a milk/sugar sludge at the bottom of the bowl that gave me some extra energy.

For tomato juice, I put in so much salt that I had a salt/juice slurry at the bottom of the glass. I'm also so old that I was around when the athletics people handed out salt tablets, so I ate those like candy during the school day.

Then there was the orange juice concentrate straight out of the little tube, the cake mix right out of the box, and rolling chocolate chips into the caramel disks that were supposed to be for caramel apples.

It's kind of a miracle I lived long enough to get fat in the first place.

I don't really do sweets anymore. I just don't enjoy them. I still put salt in my tomato juice though...along with vodka.
    I used to eat oj concentrate too! My weird kid doesn't like orange juice at all. He says it's too sour.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just to stir it up a bit - I'm pretty sure when people say they're "addicted" to something, they don't mean it literally and in fact are not trying to offend a recovering alcoholic by using the A-word. The word has simply become common in conversation. I say I'm addicted to coffee all the time: I'm not implying that I need an intervention or rehab.

I think. Or maybe I'm wrong. Carry on.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Options
    Ok so I would chance to guess when someone says they are addicted to sweets (sugar) that maybe its not the sugar itself as much as it is the junk food with all the added sugar.
    Maybe they are very much drawn to sugary drinks abnd cakes, cookies, pies, pudding, candybars, hard candies, peeps, ya know, that sort of thing. Maybe its not so much the sugar itself,,,maybe its the processed carbs.......maybe? Is that crickets i hear?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not.

But I've certainly heard people say "mmm, love the buttery taste of those cookies."

Also, if you want the sweet taste, why not shovel some plain sugar from the bag? No one does that. People like sugar when combined deliciously with cream or butter or fat. (And interestingly enough, lots of us find fat combined with salt even more appealing.)

Hmm.
    But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Just the frosting? Not so commonly, no. The cupcake as a whole? Sure.

Well lots of candy is fat free, so I'm not sure that it's just sugar + fat.

Hard candies? Is anyone really that into those? I suppose some might be. For me if you are talking about foods that would be hard to moderate I think cookies, brownies, cake, pie, ice cream, etc. I can moderate those, for the most part, but I see the struggle. Hard candies, blah.

I can eat enough hot tamales (the gel candies) that my taste buds stop working for a week. I've actually done that a few times; knowing the consequences still doesn't help moderate my eating of them*.

*I in no way claim to be addicted to sugar.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Just to stir it up a bit - I'm pretty sure when people say they're "addicted" to something, they don't mean it literally and in fact are not trying to offend a recovering alcoholic by using the A-word. The word has simply become common in conversation. I say I'm addicted to coffee all the time: I'm not implying that I need an intervention or rehab.

I do think it's entertaining that a lot of people who freak out about the "sugar addict" threads had no problem (and many post in) the coffee addict threads.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Careful there, though. There is a subset of people for whom food addiction might be an appropriate way to phrase what's going on, and for them, it would be a clinical diagnosis of Binge Eating Disorder. This would not be just someone who says they eat a box of cookies, mind you.

There's current literature to support this thinking and way of phrasing things, and again, it's not something that's really up for self-diagnosis.

As someone in recovery from BED, I can say that I never, ever considered it a food addiction. The behaviour was an addictive process for me, and I definitely have certain types of food that I am more vulnerable to binging on, but I would never, ever say I have a food addiction. If anything, an eating addiction is more appropriate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I do think it's entertaining that a lot of people who freak out about the "sugar addict" threads had no problem (and many post in) the coffee addict threads.

Is caffeine not addicting?
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Oh I am all about gummy candies, which have little to no fat. I have found, though, that it's easier for me to limit skittles/gummy worms than it is to limit sour skittles/worms. So maybe I'm not craving the sugar so much as the sour? Maybe I'll just suck a few lemons + a little sugar when I get a candy craving next :p

• Looncove_Farm
    Options
    I can eat enough hot tamales (the gel candies) that my taste buds stop working for a week. I've actually done that a few times; knowing the consequences still doesn't help moderate my eating of them*.

*I in no way claim to be addicted to sugar.

I hear that! I can eat enough sour skittles to rip my taste buds off...lol

• ladybird89
    ladybird89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sugar is addictive in the sense that the more you consume it on a regular basis, the more you crave it and feel like you need it just to feel "normal." this is a fact. also, i've never heard anybody say "i'm addicted to sugar, therefore i'm giving up on losing weight. i'm addicted and always will be, brb gotta go eat two dozen donuts now." to the contrary. being self-aware enough to recognize that your body has become dependent on a certain substance (whether its for "comfort," for "energy," etc) is the first step to undoing that unhealthy habit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jujubes, cadbury milk chocolate, coffee crisp bites, chocolate covered almonds, carmel pop corn, a good cake with icing, pumpkin whoopie pies, sugar cookies, cheese cake, pecan butter tarts, strawberry rhubarb pie...and I haven't even gotten to the chips yet.

Those are my faves....I eat at least one of them each and every day...esp if I made it.

I am NOT an addict...however they did make me fat before I learned about moderation/maintenance.

As for those claiming addiction to sugar it's one of two things.

They really believe the horse crap

or

cop out.
  • janejellyroll
    edited April 2015
    Options

Is caffeine not addicting?
    theres the problem, its not by most definitions. addiction has no hard and fast definition

It's a CNS stimulant that users develop a tolerance to and a mild dependence (complete with withdrawal symptoms) can develop. Honest question: what would be the argument against caffeine addiction being real?
This discussion has been closed.