Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

True, but I don't know too many people downing sugar by the spoonful. So there's more to it than JUST sweetness

Maybe it's the combination of the sweetness AND the fats (note that both frosting & cupcake filling also have fat).

Hyper palatable foods...

but sugar is an easier boogeyman
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Based off observational data, 100% of self proclaimed sugar addicts, who claim they cannot moderate their sugar intake, later admit they can indeed moderate all sorts of sugars and sugary food stuffs. Why is this?

The alternate hypothesis is they are just ignorant and don't actually know what sugar is and just claim they are addicted to it as an excuse as to why they can't meet any of their goals.

Also how come "sugar addicts" always mention cookies, cakes, brownies etc when they also contain a good amount of fat, how did they discern it wasn't the combination of ingredients or the fat, it was the sugar?

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not. But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

True, but I don't know too many people downing sugar by the spoonful. So there's more to it than JUST sweetness

Maybe it's the combination of the sweetness AND the fats (note that both frosting & cupcake filling also have fat).

That's the point the OP was making--that the foods mentioned usually have both. I was just pointing out that people will generally recognize the sweet craving over the fat craving.

Please discuss

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I'm not sure where you are going here. Don't you think that most people associate sugar with sweetness?
  • Acg67
    Options
    You just reminded me I have half a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked in the freezer at home. Now Monday will seem even longer and more painful.

might be a sign of sugar addiction...
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Please discuss

I haven't read about a sugar addict who couldn't control fruit consumption. Isn't the banana called "nature's cupcake", or some BS like that?

I dunno, but i wouldn't turn down strawberries. :blush:

Edit, typo
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    double post
  • Acg67
    Options
    addiction is a loose definition. can we just agree on that and drop this whole stupid discussion

Ok, so when they say they are addicted to "sugar" how come sugar is so narrowly defined and inconsistent? Sucrose bad, sucrose in apples great!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    addiction is a loose definition. can we just agree on that and drop this whole stupid discussion

Ok, so when they say they are addicted to "sugar" how come sugar is so narrowly defined and inconsistent? Sucrose bad, sucrose in apples great!

Because they probably didn't get fat eating apple-based sucrose.

"I wouldn't be fat if I didn't have a food addiction."
  • Acg67
    Options

Please discuss

That's the point the OP was making--that the foods mentioned usually have both. I was just pointing out that people will generally recognize the sweet craving over the fat craving.

Please discuss

Except they blame not being able to moderate those products, not because they taste sweet but because they contain sugar

I'm not sure where you are going here. Don't you think that most people associate sugar with sweetness?

But if you were to say i'm addicted to sugar that doesn't also mean i'm addicted to sweetness, even though they may be associated. They claim to be addicted to an actual compound, not a taste
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In. If you ever want former "sugar addicts" to start testifying, just let me know.

I will say... I did stop eating fruit when I stopped eating sugar and did also go low carb.

Still? Wasn't a sugar addict. I then developed a problem controlling myself when it came to eating other foods.

Egg salad? Bring it. Avocados? Almonds? Could plow through them.

I eat sugar now. In moderation. The same way I eat egg salad, avocado, and almonds.

I think the important thing to remember is the biggest lie sugar addicts are telling is to themselves.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not.

But I've certainly heard people say "mmm, love the buttery taste of those cookies."

Also, if you want the sweet taste, why not shovel some plain sugar from the bag? No one does that. People like sugar when combined deliciously with cream or butter or some other fat. (And interestingly enough, lots of us find fat combined with salt even more appealing.)

Hmm.
    But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Just the frosting? Not so commonly, no. (Though more commonly than just straight sugar.) The cupcake as a whole? Sure.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Is anyone willing to share their popcorn with me?

If I make some I'll be sure to toss it with honey and coconut oil, so it won't contain any sugar.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

Please discuss

My son loves all the cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts and cakes and will eat butter straight up but has yet to dip a spoon into the sugar bowl. He's kind of a weirdo.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I personally do not think this is actually sugar in it self. It is a behavior to grab the bag, the box or container of something yummy already processed and ready to eat.. ie Twinkiis, donuts, hostess cakes, chocolate, potato chips, cheetos, doritos, and again cookies, ho ho's, they are at an arms length anywhere and everywhere, gas station, vending machines, right there at the checkout counter, they are even displayed in the Toilet Tissue isle...

And this starts at home when you are child... I lived on sugar cereals, pop tarts, zingers, oh and Captain Crunch (LOL) well into my yound adult hood because this is what I learned at home... Once I learned better which was not until I was 45+ years old I stopped it...

I personally think it is "carbs" (sweets, salty, creamy, crunchy, coated with sugar, honey, chocolate covered, etc...)

I will leave it right there...
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Please discuss

Probably because they crave the sweet taste, not the fat. Have you ever heard anybody say "wow, can't wait to taste the Crisco in those cookies"? Probably not.

But I've certainly heard people say "mmm, love the buttery taste of those cookies."

Also, if you want the sweet taste, why not shovel some plain sugar from the bag? No one does that. People like sugar when combined deliciously with cream or butter or fat. (And interestingly enough, lots of us find fat combined with salt even more appealing.)

Hmm.
    But you likely have heard somebody say something to the effect of liking the sweet frosting or filling in a cupcake.

Just the frosting? Not so commonly, no. The cupcake as a whole? Sure.

Well lots of candy is fat free, so I'm not sure that it's just sugar + fat.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Please discuss

My son loves all the cookies, cupcakes, doughnuts and cakes and will eat butter straight up but has yet to dip a spoon into the sugar bowl. He's kind of a weirdo.
    When I was a kid, I ate sugar sandwiches, but I needed butter to keep the sugar from falling out. Good times.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Giggle. I knew this would turn good.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Giggle. I knew this would turn good.

It's just getting started. No sugar addicts have shown up yet.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Please discuss

Please discuss

But if you were to say i'm addicted to sugar that doesn't also mean i'm addicted to sweetness, even though they may be associated. They claim to be addicted to an actual compound, not a taste

I think that a lot, if not most, people in the world use "sugar" and "sweetness" interchangeably.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My opinion is never popular. I hate when someone compares the fact that they cannot say no to a donut the same as an alcoholic or someone addicted to drugs. It is not the same thing! At all!

I can relate a bit to their justification because I did the same thing, well not with "detoxing sugar" but with the justification of why I could not lose weight. Then one day, I friggin' wanted it bad enough and stopped the justification. /endrant
This discussion has been closed.